Shout out to Troyer Performance

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sugarbear
It all boils down to the fact if you want to build a good business, maintain that business and have it grow , you MUST be " customer oriented " , especially in today's business / economical climate, excuses are like butt holes , everybody has one !! ...just my 2 cents
It appears that Troyer Performance has plenty of paying customers. Besides, a small business can only handle so much work at any given time. If I owned a small business and had months and months of backlogged work to do, I probably wouldn't worry too much about kissing everyone's behind. Those who know the quality work TP can do will wait for them, those who think anybody with a computer and a dyno can tune a truck can go spend their money there. Nobody really cares.

I don't think anything anyone here can say anything that will make, or break, his business.

- NCSU

Old 01-04-2010, 12:39 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
It appears that Troyer Performance has plenty of paying customers. Besides, a small business can only handle so much work at any given time. If I owned a small business and had months and months of backlogged work to do, I probably wouldn't worry too much about kissing everyone's behind. Those who know the quality work TP can do will wait for them, those who think anybody with a computer and a dyno can tune a truck can go spend their money there. Nobody really cares.

I don't think anything anyone here can say anything that will make, or break, his business.

- NCSU
x2... same goes for PHP

Old 01-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Note the guy stating it's been 10 months has a 2009. The problem may lie with SCT not having a strategy for his particular box code. I wouldn't be so quick to jump on Mike's turn around without the facts.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by Windsor
Note the guy stating it's been 10 months has a 2009. The problem may lie with SCT not having a strategy for his particular box code. I wouldn't be so quick to jump on Mike's turn around without the facts.
I agree and call BS on the 10 months.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I ordered my tunes on August 22nd. But I'm not complaining.

I'm upgrading to a supercharger so I figured it would take a while.

I did kinda figure they'd be here around Thanksgiving though. Hopefully they will be here within the next month.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by Windsor
Actually the guy that said 10 months has a 2008. Still hard to believe 10 months, tho.. I would be on the phone daily. I ordered mine on 6/1 and got them on 11/3. I wasn't in a really big hurry, but still 5 months was a long time. Anita did tell me they have a huge on-site business that really backs up their mail-order business. I think they did a good job with the tune itself, but they do need to rethink their business model so that the mail-order customers don't get pushed so far down the priority list.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by soccercoach61
Anita did tell me they have a huge on-site business that really backs up their mail-order business .... but they do need to rethink their business model so that the mail-order customers don't get pushed so far down the priority list.
Why? Getting work done in the shop probably makes them more money than the mail-order side of things.

From my understanding Mike does all the tunes himself, while the shop employs at least a half dozen people (well, it did at one point, i don't know about now) who can make the company a buck. Makes sense to me.

- NCSU

Old 01-07-2010, 08:38 AM
Why? Getting work done in the shop probably makes them more money than the mail-order side of things.

From my understanding Mike does all the tunes himself, while the shop employs at least a half dozen people (well, it did at one point, i don't know about now) who can make the company a buck. Makes sense to me.

- NCSU
I'm sure work in the shop makes them more money - they're selling a tuner, the tunes, and dyno time. But from what I was told by one of their employees, customers that show up on site actually interrupt and stop the work on mail-order tunes - which is great if you live near them, but for those of us who are a thousand miles away, it presents a little bit of a problem, especially when the expectation is set that you will receive your tunes in 8 to 10 weeks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for them making their business grow and prosper. And I'm happy with the work they did for me. I just think there is probably a better way to schedule things and keep both their on-site and their mail-order customers happy. The outcome of their current method is becoming pretty obvious here in the forums. It seems that fewer and fewer people seem to be willing to wait several months and are going elsewhere for their needs.

My 2 cents, YMMV.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

- NCSU

I spent several days there visiting right before Thanksgiving and was stunned at the amount of work that is taking place.
I was heavily involved in installing the dyno and helping them move into their present shop a few years ago, and could not have forseen how large they have become in just a short time. The dyno was intended solely for Mikes R&D, but has been used daily on the final tuning of all the installs from blowers to complete engine and drivetrains. There were at least four complete engines sitting in the shop for installation.
Their business has grown ten fold in the past two or three years.
And you are correct that Mike writes all the tunes himself. You have read the threads stating that he should teach someone else to do so, but you have to wonder how loud the people who posted those threads would scream if they were told someone other than Mike had written their tunes.....After more than 15 years of tuning he is still discovering that there are improvements that can be made and is doing so all the time.
I guess if all men were created equal, there would be no need for the passing lane on the highway...

Old 01-07-2010, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by Marc Carpenter
if all men were created equal, there would be no need for the passing lane on the highway...
I like that!

Old 01-07-2010, 09:48 AM
If you want a Troyer written tuner then call them and make an appointment and drive to their damn shop in Virginia. There will then be no wait and if you prefer you can have your tunes written and adjusted while your truck is on the dyno there. They can't please everyone, and neither can any other tuner.
Ir YOUR tuner had some not so nice things to say about Mike Troyers abilities, then maybe he ISN'T one of the many that call Mike daily to get direction on the tuning format for the F150. I am witness to the hoards of phone calls, and conversations he has had from many tuners, including a very well known national company that some of the newer tuners here have spun off from,asking for his advise and input on the F150 format.
I am quite frankly getting sick and tired of the crying and bickering that goes on here over this topic. If you don't like the guy and his business ethics, TAKE YOUR MONEY AND GO ELSEWHERE....
Klitch I remember your issues quite well when I was working at Troyers shop and if your going to come here and cry foul, then maybe you should be honest with the people here. It wasn't his tuning issue that caused your problems.

I agree with you 100% Marc.Plus still Love wheels and tires. Thank you

Old 01-07-2010, 10:11 AM
You have read the threads stating that he should teach someone else to do so, but you have to wonder how loud the people who posted those threads would scream if they were told someone other than Mike had written their tunes.....After more than 15 years of tuning he is still discovering that there are improvements that can be made and is doing so all the time.
Completely agree with you on that one. I bought from Troyer because I wanted Troyer to do the work; and I knew from the beginning that it was going to take longer than some of the others. I'll buy tunes from him again, I just think they need to set a more realistic expectation of the time.

I guess if all men were created equal, there would be no need for the passing lane on the highway...
on that.

Quick Reply: Shout out to Troyer Performance