**Cold Air Intake vs Programmer**

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 03:08 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by PR Lariat
Bluejay, by any chance you know if the dyno run without the snorkel was done using the factory paper filter? Because if the dyno was done with the factory filter, using a K&N drop in would help a little.
I've posted about that test. My understanding is that the only thing changed was the removal of the snorkel. The filter was not changed, or Bill would have said so.

I DO want to correct (or respectfully disagree) with something Jim said though. I specifically asked Bill if the Gotts mod on my truck, a 2005, would require any change in the tuning. He said no. He said since the MAF environment is not effected, the sensor is able to provide valid data to the PCM. So, I'll have to say there HAS been a statement (from an "informed" source) that the Gotts style mod is safe on 04-05 engines.

- Jack

Old 12-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone tried the Gotts mod on a 2010 yet - 5.4l? Was going to buy a CAI but having read this would rather do the Gotts mod and a programmer?

Old 12-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
I've posted about that test. My understanding is that the only thing changed was the removal of the snorkel. The filter was not changed, or Bill would have said so.

I DO want to correct (or respectfully disagree) with something Jim said though. I specifically asked Bill if the Gotts mod on my truck, a 2005, would require any change in the tuning. He said no. He said since the MAF environment is not effected, the sensor is able to provide valid data to the PCM. So, I'll have to say there HAS been a statement (from an "informed" source) that the Gotts style mod is safe on 04-05 engines.

- Jack
Jack, I won't disgree with the great Bill's advise or knowledge as I think that would be the case most of the time. However, way back when I first started on here, there were a couple of 2004s that threw codes at WOT and were completely stock. They were actually running lean, so I would just never take the chance or advise anyone to do so.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
think about it this way.

try and get air through a smaller straw then a bigger straw. bigger will make you choke. yes your cai will get more air initially (quick surge instead of smooth flow) but not enough fuel and spark to compensate the initial blow.

a tune will compensate for that difference. even without an intake, a tune makes the engine much more efficient than the factory does which is why everyone is saying do this first. an engine is an air pump but efficiency is what makes most power.

now when your tune can compensate for the added air, your golden.

dont know if that helped but there it is.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bluejay
If you notice, I don't think anyone has said that the Gott's mod on a 2004-2005 5.4 is safe. I know I would not make that change on mine until I had custom tunes. We have also said that any intake is MOST likely safe on any other engine or year, but there have been an occasional code thrown on others. What has been said is that you get minimal results, so why take the chance? I highly doubt that any intake will harm your 4.2, you just won't get but about half it's potential, without a custom tune. I don't see why this is so hard to understand.

Additionaly, don't knock the stock tube so hard. Bill at PHP did a dyno comparison on a 2008 or 2009 5.4, I don't remember which, but he tested one of the CAIs and got 16 hp with a custom tune. Just for grins, he tested the stock intake after removing the restrictive snorkle(essentially the Gott's mod) and got 13 hp. If 3 hp is worth $300 to $400, then you should go for it. It won't change how I use my truck at all, so I won't.
oh, no i understand the part where you squeeze out more out of a tune with an intake compared to the gotts. really what it was about is if the gotts made the same airflow as a CAI like many people claim(no one on here, just other threads). and just for the record for everyone, i had my intake on my 08 and put on my helper tube before i ever heard of the gotts mod. i posted a thread or maybe just a pic of my idea and someone told me about the gotts mod and he posted pics of it for me. so i paid $305 for my intake for my 04 and threw it on my 08 after i got it. i have gotten my moneys worth in gas savings and fun factor out of it on both trucks already so i have no regrets for the $305. plus my 08 is still under warrante, so a gotts mod would ruin my stock air filter box, at least now i can still throw my stock intake on if i have issues with my truck. you know how dealerships are with that stuff. im just playing it safer i guess.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by 05crewzer
think about it this way.

try and get air through a smaller straw then a bigger straw. bigger will make you choke. yes your cai will get more air initially (quick surge instead of smooth flow) but not enough fuel and spark to compensate the initial blow.

a tune will compensate for that difference. even without an intake, a tune makes the engine much more efficient than the factory does which is why everyone is saying do this first. an engine is an air pump but efficiency is what makes most power.

now when your tune can compensate for the added air, your golden.

dont know if that helped but there it is.
yes that helps. got a few more things. correct me if im wrong...
so for example i buy a tuner, it has 3 canned tunes on it. i can buy more custom tunes but they would replace my canned tunes once i load them on. if i wanted to squeeze out a few more hp out of my custom tunes then i would have to go to a place with a dyno for them to tweak my tune or write a new one. is that correct?

Old 12-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by timmypstyle
oh, no i understand the part where you squeeze out more out of a tune with an intake compared to the gotts. really what it was about is if the gotts made the same airflow as a CAI like many people claim(no one on here, just other threads). and just for the record for everyone, i had my intake on my 08 and put on my helper tube before i ever heard of the gotts mod. i posted a thread or maybe just a pic of my idea and someone told me about the gotts mod and he posted pics of it for me. so i paid $305 for my intake for my 04 and threw it on my 08 after i got it. i have gotten my moneys worth in gas savings and fun factor out of it on both trucks already so i have no regrets for the $305. plus my 08 is still under warrante, so a gotts mod would ruin my stock air filter box, at least now i can still throw my stock intake on if i have issues with my truck. you know how dealerships are with that stuff. im just playing it safer i guess.
Timmy, you are just making stuff up. No one that I have seen said the Gotts mod does exaxtly the same as the intake you have. We said it provides NEARLY the same results for about $15. If anyone prefers to go your route as opposed to the Gotts, that is just super duper dandy. It is whatever makes you happy. You were just being informed of what people know and have experienced. Lastly, don't know where you got the idea that the stock tube is mutilated and can't be returned to stock. On the 2004 up, all you do is remove the stock snorkle, place it on a shelf to te reinstalled if you ever so desire, and put the larger snorkle on. Takes maybe 10 minutes.

Last edited by Bluejay; 12-14-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Timmy, you are just making stuff up. No one that I have seen said the Gotts mod does exaxtly the same as the intake you have. We said it provides NEARLY the same results for about $15. If anyone prefers to go your route as opposed to the Gotts, that is just super duper dandy. It is whatever makes you happy. You were just being informed of what people know and have experienced. Lastly, don't know where you got the idea that the stock tube is mutilated and can't be returned to stock. On the 2004 up, all you do is remove the stock snorkle, place it on a shelf to te reinstalled if you ever so desire, and put the larger snorkle on. Takes maybe 10 minutes.
ok, so i have been on this site for over a year, and within the last 2 weeks where i had an arguement with openclass on that other thread, i have all of a sudden become a liar? i am not making stuff up. this person told me about the gotts mod and had a video link of what he did on youtube. so then his example of the gotts mod was wrong and i was informed wrong. dont be implying i am lying, because i am not. give me a few minutes, ill try to find the post, and if i cant i can try to find the video on youtube and post the link.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:44 AM
Global Moderator &

ok, so i have been on this site for over a year, and within the last 2 weeks where i had an arguement with openclass on that other thread, i have all of a sudden become a liar? i am not making stuff up. this person told me about the gotts mod and had a video link of what he did on youtube. so then his example of the gotts mod was wrong and i was informed wrong. dont be implying i am lying, because i am not. give me a few minutes, ill try to find the post, and if i cant i can try to find the video on youtube and post the link.
I did not mean to imply you are a liar, just that you do not seem to get the message from other posters correctly and then respond with something that was never intended. The facts are, you do not want to do the Gott's type mod, you are happy with what you have, and that is all fine. Just don't say things such as the stock tube will be mutilated. That is not the case.

It sounds as if you have something similar to the Airaid Jr. which I seriiously considered buying myself. After studying what tuners had to say about dyno results, I made the decision that spending that money was not worth the slight gain I MIGHT get.

If I had already spent the money as you have, I would be trying to make myself happy just as you are. It works for you, you are happy and that is all great. Just leave it at that.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Global Moderator &

yes that helps. got a few more things. correct me if im wrong...
so for example i buy a tuner, it has 3 canned tunes on it. i can buy more custom tunes but they would replace my canned tunes once i load them on. if i wanted to squeeze out a few more hp out of my custom tunes then i would have to go to a place with a dyno for them to tweak my tune or write a new one. is that correct?
That is correct!

Old 12-14-2009, 09:47 AM
ok, i was mistaken. it was about a post on the gotts mod, this guy said "not to one-up you but i did this". that is where i got the mutilated airbox part from. it was the only example shown to me so i just thought it was the gotts. but if anyone has some pics of the actual gotts mod, can you post them? here is the link. there is a video on it too of what he did.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...ke-helper.html

Old 12-14-2009, 09:56 AM
Global Moderator &

As we mentioned before, the thread is in our How To section.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...04-2008-a.html

Old 12-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
I don't understand why people waste money on 87 octane fuel, since your getting a tune might as well get a 91 or 93 octane performance tune, you can get better mileage and power out of the higher octane (when tuned appropriatly)

since you do not have a 3 valve motor you can squeeze by with an intake as long as you reset the ECM when it's installed
bluejay, the thing i am having trouble with is that some posts have stuff i dont understand, just after i understood with someone else telling me. some people are contadicting others. not saying anyone is contradicting themselves, but there is some gaps in the info between people. like above...
i am just trying to get info since i am misinformed apparently. that is why i did my example thing to make sure i got the tuner part. so thank you for replying to that. i appreciate it.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:19 AM
As we mentioned before, the thread is in our How To section.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...04-2008-a.html
geez, that seems like a lot of work. i think rigging my intake to work took less time than that technique. another question, why do the V8s have the silencers on the intakes? my truck doesnt have them and it was still kind of quiet. with the intake it is still kind of quiet, until i get on it. but it sounds so much better.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:42 AM
Global Moderator &

bluejay, the thing i am having trouble with is that some posts have stuff i dont understand, just after i understood with someone else telling me. some people are contadicting others. not saying anyone is contradicting themselves, but there is some gaps in the info between people. like above...
i am just trying to get info since i am misinformed apparently. that is why i did my example thing to make sure i got the tuner part. so thank you for replying to that. i appreciate it.
What you have to realize here is that some trucks are a little different, plus people have different opinions. It is up to you to sort through the info and decide what YOU want to do. Tarajerame is interested in the absolute best performance, I'm not. I just want real good performance. He has a supercharger, I don't. It helps to know where people are coming from when they make a statement. I am one of those he was referring to about the 87 and 93 octane. I have both an 87 Performance tune and a 93 Performance tune. I have found that the 87 Perf performs better than the Level 3 canned tune and that is all I really need. He gets better mpg out of his 93 tune, I do not, I get the same. So, it is easy for me to settle for the 87 Perf tune and save the money on gas. Stealth has the same truck I have, and supposedly the same tunes. He runs the 93 Perf most of the time. The point is, you can get seemingly different points of view and no one be wrong. It's what works best for them.

Quick Reply: **Cold Air Intake vs Programmer**