**Cold Air Intake vs Programmer**

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 10:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, you nailed it. no one really fully explains where they are coming from like you said with him having the supercharger. now it makes sense. but it is like i said, gaps between info. so i guess the info isnt necessarily wrong, just the gaps make it sound wrong. yeah im not going for all out performance either......hense V6. man i wish i did some of this stuff to my 96 trans am when i had it. it was completely stock. i would have loved to see what a CAI and/or a tuner would do for it. but then again, i would probably be dead right now. i was saving for a tuner when i had it basically to raise the speed limiter and stuff. so yeah, 19 yr old(at the time) going 160mph in a LT1 trans am....id be dead

Old 12-14-2009, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Let's cool it everyone. No need to get our feathers ruffled over this. You've all made your points and it's up to the readers to decide whose advice they want to follow. Let's just let it lie that way, OK?

- Jack
Good call!

Old 12-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by timmypstyle
yes that helps. got a few more things. correct me if im wrong...
so for example i buy a tuner, it has 3 canned tunes on it. i can buy more custom tunes but they would replace my canned tunes once i load them on. if i wanted to squeeze out a few more hp out of my custom tunes then i would have to go to a place with a dyno for them to tweak my tune or write a new one. is that correct?
i was gonna say yes you had it right but bluejay beat me. lol.

i would stick with what you have and tune it, you'll be happy. start with a tuner first to see how you like it. then if you want you can change 1 or all the tunes to custom.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by 05crewzer
i was gonna say yes you had it right but bluejay beat me. lol.

i would stick with what you have and tune it, you'll be happy. start with a tuner first to see how you like it. then if you want you can change 1 or all the tunes to custom.
yeah, basically everything i want to do is for looks, except the tuner. that is probably the only performance part i want to get.

on another note...hey lincolnmarkLT20, does that SCT emblem come with the tuner? if so, i think im going for SCT. plus i have heard many, many people with the 4.2 go with SCT.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Hey TIMMYPSTYLE, Yes the emblem does come with the SCT. I have have it on my truck also and VMP Tuning does a great job with the tunes! You will be very happy and will notice a huge difference!

Old 12-16-2009, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by BLUE Dog
Hey TIMMYPSTYLE, Yes the emblem does come with the SCT. I have have it on my truck also and VMP Tuning does a great job with the tunes! You will be very happy and will notice a huge difference!
sweet! i know just where to put it. and also are you able to get more emblems seperate? about how much are tunes from VMP? i would go with a performance 87. thanks

Old 12-16-2009, 10:28 AM
I am not sure about extra emblems but check with Justin at VMP. You get 3 custom tunes when buy the SCT Xcal from him. I paid roughly $425

Old 12-16-2009, 10:39 AM
ok so i went to SCTs website and saw the SCT X3 power flash programmer, the SF3 power flash programmer, the livewire handheld programmer, and the SF3 emissions legal programmer.
all are $480 except the livewire which is $680.
it looks to me that the X3, and the livewire are the only ones that have space for up to 3 custom tunes. the others just say they come with preloaded files. it makes sense because i have only heard about the X3 before. the livewire has all the monitors and stuff on it also for the extra $200. i think i would go for the X3 tho. plus the SF3 emissions legal one doesnt seem to have any options to tweak and it does have a list of vehicles it works on. all the others do not have the list they work on. but i see the speed/rev limiter which is one that caught my eye. does anyone have more info on a comparison between the programmers? and also a cheaper place to buy from? i am looking around online but still, i would like the cheapest deal of course. thanks to all

Old 12-16-2009, 10:47 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
The livewire has gauges vs the SCT x3 is just a heand held IIRC

Old 12-16-2009, 10:51 AM
the X3 is awesome and U will love it & its pretty easy to use!!!! Some have canned tunes and others have custom tunes based on your vehicle!!! cheap is not always better!!!

Old 12-16-2009, 10:52 AM
i was looking on autoanything and found no SCTs but i did find 2 superchips programmers and a predator tuner. superchips 1 claims 13hp and 15Lb-Ft, other claims +20 and +15 and both a 50 state legal. i still want to go with SCT unless i find a killer deal on another well known tuner. but anyways, so you paid roughly 425 for the tuner plus 3 custom tunes preloaded? and how many tunes can it hold. it claims 3 but is it the stock tune and 3 more or 3 total? thanks

Old 12-16-2009, 10:58 AM
3 total

Old 12-16-2009, 11:27 AM
well i am on VMPs site right now and looking. looks like some nice deals on there. but i might have to wait a little while to get it. got some other bills first. plus it is snowing all the time here so i would rather wait and be able to see what goes on in case i need an update with their free 6 month update support. might as well take advantage of that instead of getting it now and having no clue how it works for 5 months. but thanks for the info everyone. i appreciate it. hopefully spring/summer will see a lot of changes for my truck. got some visual ideas but gotta wait for the weather to warm up. but this summer its gonna look sweet! and hopefully drop a few 10ths at the track. i think my new goal is 85mph in the 1/4.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:52 PM
dude check out the classifieds on this site. i picked up an sct xcal2 with emblem for $200. as long as they set it back to stock your cool. and im still on stock tunes untill i do the cams. but for now still love it and wouldn't go back.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by 05crewzer
dude check out the classifieds on this site. i picked up an sct xcal2 with emblem for $200. as long as they set it back to stock your cool. and im still on stock tunes untill i do the cams. but for now still love it and wouldn't go back.
What? The Xcal2 only stores custom tunes so did you buy new tunes for it? Otherwise I think you might be the luckiest person in the world.

Quick Reply: **Cold Air Intake vs Programmer**