**Cold Air Intake vs Programmer**

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my bad, forgot to mention it is the xcal2 sf. (strategy flash)

Old 12-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would buy it new. im too particular about getting used stuff. you never know if it was owned by a moron or not. heck, the same goes for ordering stuff. like ordering a computer from dell and telling the indian guy(who says his name is jeff) that you want a DVD recordable drive and he doesnt know what it is. like i said, you never know if your dealing with a moron or not. id rather go new from a trusted source for something that is $400 and effects my $12k truck.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Bluejay
The CAI does rally improve the under hood appearance though and some want it just for that, plus it sounds impressive since it has no silencer.

^ This, X100000, I love the way my truck looks under the hood now, it looks sleeker and cleaner, and more impressive.

Per $ to power, a tuner will give you more than a CAI, unless you cna get the CAI really cheap.

I am about to throw my hat in this ring, PLEASE NOTE, that this is MY OWN personal thoughts on this, in relation to my truck.

I have had two other cars and then this truck, all of the had CAI's on them, and all of them sounded great, looked great and made the car a bit more fun to drive, the 97 grand am intake was $40, the 00 V-6 mustang intake was $70, well worth it, if only for the sound.

The intake I have on my truck now, was $170, a fair price, for the way it sounds, and the way it looks, not only was a a performance option for me, it was also a dress up, Item.

Its been cold and rainy and I have not been able to clean her up, but still it looks good, and I most likely will never revert to the stock air intake setup, simply because of looks.

Now while my truck is in danger of a lean condition at WOT, I honestly can not tell you the last time I had it at WOT, maybe when I test drove it, even when I did a burn out, it was not WOT.
The way I drive my truck, I very seriously doubt that it will run any more lean than it was, if it does, it won't be enough to hurt it, IMO.

I also have a PHP gryphon on the way, should be in tomorrow, I plan on running the trans only, and maybe trying the 89 tow, just to play it safe, she has 93 in the tank, and the combined 93, with the way the tow tune will run richer, and the way that I normally never see anything past 2,500 RPM should keep me safe, IMO.

" well, why buy all that if you drive like a old man!? "

Because, some times I do like to go fast, and this helps me go faster, and adjust all kinds of things like shift points and such.

Because I like the way it looks under hood, I want to have the power there, even if I don't use it, Its nice to have.

Now, none of you here are going to change my mind, I will be trying the canned tow tune, running 93 and see how it acts, I might even hook dads verus up to it and drive around and see what it looks like, and I will have the CAI on it.
Its my truck, I personalty do not think that it will hurt it, and even with that said, I doubt I will go WOT with it on the canned tow tune, I MIGHT do it a couple times after I have my 87/93 perf tunes just to see.

Its a big ol, 7,000Lb truck, with slightly bigger/wider than stock tires, its not going to compete with a GT mustang with out serious dime and time, that I do not wish to invest.

If I am feeling frisky, I might muck around with the timing and WOT settings for fuel and such and see what I can do for it, but I doubt that too.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Titan357
^ This, X100000, I love the way my truck looks under the hood now, it looks sleeker and cleaner, and more impressive.

Per $ to power, a tuner will give you more than a CAI, unless you cna get the CAI really cheap.

I am about to throw my hat in this ring, PLEASE NOTE, that this is MY OWN personal thoughts on this, in relation to my truck.

I have had two other cars and then this truck, all of the had CAI's on them, and all of them sounded great, looked great and made the car a bit more fun to drive, the 97 grand am intake was $40, the 00 V-6 mustang intake was $70, well worth it, if only for the sound.

The intake I have on my truck now, was $170, a fair price, for the way it sounds, and the way it looks, not only was a a performance option for me, it was also a dress up, Item.

Its been cold and rainy and I have not been able to clean her up, but still it looks good, and I most likely will never revert to the stock air intake setup, simply because of looks.

Now while my truck is in danger of a lean condition at WOT, I honestly can not tell you the last time I had it at WOT, maybe when I test drove it, even when I did a burn out, it was not WOT.
The way I drive my truck, I very seriously doubt that it will run any more lean than it was, if it does, it won't be enough to hurt it, IMO.

I also have a PHP gryphon on the way, should be in tomorrow, I plan on running the trans only, and maybe trying the 89 tow, just to play it safe, she has 93 in the tank, and the combined 93, with the way the tow tune will run richer, and the way that I normally never see anything past 2,500 RPM should keep me safe, IMO.

" well, why buy all that if you drive like a old man!? "

Because, some times I do like to go fast, and this helps me go faster, and adjust all kinds of things like shift points and such.

Because I like the way it looks under hood, I want to have the power there, even if I don't use it, Its nice to have.

Now, none of you here are going to change my mind, I will be trying the canned tow tune, running 93 and see how it acts, I might even hook dads verus up to it and drive around and see what it looks like, and I will have the CAI on it.
Its my truck, I personalty do not think that it will hurt it, and even with that said, I doubt I will go WOT with it on the canned tow tune, I MIGHT do it a couple times after I have my 87/93 perf tunes just to see.

Its a big ol, 7,000Lb truck, with slightly bigger/wider than stock tires, its not going to compete with a GT mustang with out serious dime and time, that I do not wish to invest.

If I am feeling frisky, I might muck around with the timing and WOT settings for fuel and such and see what I can do for it, but I doubt that too.
If you run anything other than 87 on the tow tune, you are wasting money. If you do run 89, then bump the timing +1.00 and if you run 93 on the tow tune, bump it +2.00. No sense in not getting the benefit from the extra octane.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Technical Article Contributor

If you run anything other than 87 on the tow tune, you are wasting money. If you do run 89, then bump the timing +1.00 and if you run 93 on the tow tune, bump it +2.00. No sense in not getting the benefit from the extra octane.
point taken, I will keep that in mind, I need to get my tuner in so I can get my hex to PHP, wish I could meet them in person, my tuner is 2 hours away at 55, 1:15 at normal speeds, but I will just have to wait until tomorrow.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Not sure what you mean. A programmer certainly does not need a CAI. It is the other way around. You don't get full benefit from a CAI and on some engines run the risk of running lean without custom programming.

A tune can add 20 to 30 hp, depending on if it is canned or custom and which engine. A CAI without a tune will do good to add 7 or 8. That can be doubled with a custom tune.
ok i have a 07 f-150 4.6 and want a cai do i need tuner for the engine, or is it just good to get one...

Old 04-20-2012, 03:21 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by hojo32003
ok i have a 07 f-150 4.6 and want a cai do i need tuner for the engine, or is it just good to get one...
With that engine, you are not likely to run lean although, you should be aware that it could, so a tuner is not essential. However, a CAI will not make a noticable difference as to performance other than sound. They have no silencer, so they are louder. The biggest attribute of an aftermarket CAI is that it cleans up the engine bay. A tuner on the other hand will make a very noticable difference in power and shifting. You did not ask for this, but I will throw it in free. I would use my money for a tuner instead of the a different CAI.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by hojo32003
A 2007 4.6 uses a slot-style MAF, hence:

Originally Posted by VMP tuning
We can tune for different cold air intakes on 05+ Mustangs and 04+ F150s. Any aftermarket intake that flows well and puts the slot-style MAF sensor into a larger less restrictive housing is going to REQUIRE a tune for the vehicle to run properly. Intakes that do not require a tune are often just as restrictive as stock and do not result in large power gains.
Originally Posted by PowerHungryPerformance (PHP)
I'm not necessarily saying that a CAI is bad for the engine, but my concern is the fact that the AFR is already starting out at a dead 14.6 to 1 and historically CAIs cause the engine to run even leaner. I certainly wouldn't be running a CAI without appropriate tuning to correct any resultant lean problems, especially when I can pick up 7+ HP with a simple, free modification.
Plus:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/3912951-post27.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/1902391-post6.html

You will NEVER know unless you get yer A/F's measured.

Not worth it.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:31 AM
Ive heard that some of the better programmers that really Boost Econ and power work off the notion that you have already done intake and exhaust. Thoughts?

Old 04-26-2012, 06:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've heard that the better programmers are custom tuned for your specific hex code and any modifications you may have made; including a WASHOOBI.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:16 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MookTastic
Ive heard that some of the better programmers that really Boost Econ and power work off the notion that you have already done intake and exhaust. Thoughts?
Thoughts?

Yep - just one: yer misinformed.

Quick Reply: **Cold Air Intake vs Programmer**