so i finally got an EDGE EVO...very disappointed!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down so i finally got an EDGE EVO...very disappointed!

so i finally got an Edge for my 08 5.4 f150. this thing is HORRIBLE...nothings accurate on it as far as temperatures and instant mpg is WAY off...the trans level shifts terrible...towing puts the torq convert. in/out constantly with a lot of lugging...and the performance just isnt impressing...any suggestions? other than having Troyer or PHP do custom tunes? i didnt do any custom tunes either? Is it required to set your gear ratio on each level or only if you do custom tune on each level?

Old 10-23-2009, 02:19 PM
well i have one and i was very very impressed by everything on it. i think the tunes that come on the edge are set to the lowest stock ratio (3.55 i think) so you will have to change that if you have 3.73's. do you have stock tires? if you do then you have to change that too. how do you know that the temps and instant mpg are off?

Old 10-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by tsargent4
so i finally got an Edge for my 08 5.4 f150. this thing is HORRIBLE...nothings accurate on it as far as temperatures and instant mpg is WAY off...the trans level shifts terrible...towing puts the torq convert. in/out constantly with a lot of lugging...and the performance just isnt impressing...any suggestions? other than having Troyer or PHP do custom tunes? i didnt do any custom tunes either? Is it required to set your gear ratio on each level or only if you do custom tune on each level?
EVERY time you enter a program, or level you must match the gears and tires to what you actually have. The miles per gallon takes several drive cycles before it gets close to accurate. It is averaging. I loved mine, it made impressive improvements. I was satisfied until I got custom tunes from PHP.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:25 PM

instant mpg are gonna fluctuate alot but average mpg is what you should be paying attention to.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:30 PM
How do you know the instant MPG and temperatures are way off? What level are you using?

Old 10-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by dilloncawthon
well i have one and i was very very impressed by everything on it. i think the tunes that come on the edge are set to the lowest stock ratio (3.55 i think) so you will have to change that if you have 3.73's. do you have stock tires? if you do then you have to change that too. how do you know that the temps and instant mpg are off?
my axle on the door sticker says "H9"...so whichever ratio that is...and i have stock 275/60/18s I believe...my IMPG goes from 14 to 22, 26, 30+, and just keeps bouncing around numbers...there is no way i get passed maybe 17...ive never seen passed 15.8 with my 30gal tank. I can burn approx. 27 gal and go like 384 miles and I only get like 13-15.8.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Smile

I've had mine for 3 years;NO COMPLAINTS! I run level 2 all the time.
I will switch to level 3 when I take a trip. If all else fails,RTFM.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Global Moderator &

I believe you have 3.55 gears. My Edge always defaulted to 3.73 and I had 3.55s, so had to change them everytime. You need to check that.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
EVERY time you enter a program, or level you must match the gears and tires to what you actually have. The miles per gallon takes several drive cycles before it gets close to accurate. It is averaging. I loved mine, it made impressive improvements. I was satisfied until I got custom tunes from PHP.
so you're saying once i wanted to switch from level 1 to level 2, i have to go into custom tune regardless and change tire and gear ratio in that level? My girlfriends grandpa has the same exact and identical truck as mine, but his is all stock, no leveling kit like mine (not sure how much that'll mess with MPGs) and he claims (although hes grandpa and if its 60mph he drives 55mph) he gets 22mpg!...thats IMPOSSIBLE

Old 10-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Global Moderator &

my axle on the door sticker says "H9"...so whichever ratio that is...and i have stock 275/60/18s I believe...my IMPG goes from 14 to 22, 26, 30+, and just keeps bouncing around numbers...there is no way i get passed maybe 17...ive never seen passed 15.8 with my 30gal tank. I can burn approx. 27 gal and go like 384 miles and I only get like 13-15.8.
You sound as if you do not understand what is taking place at all. Of course it is bouncing around numbers. That is what the throttle body is doing. As you excelerate, you use more, vice versa. The IMPG is usless info anyway, unless you just want to see how much fuel is used under different circumstances.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:43 PM

Your "instant" mpg's will bounce around like a ball. Thats what it is, Instant. Push the pedal, let off the pedal, go up a hill, turn on the ac. They will alter it immediately. Best thing to do is not dispaly the IMPG. Keep working with the edge, you will get it to what you want. The people here can help you.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:44 PM
alright well you need to check the program settings to make sure that the gear ratio is set to 3.55 because i think that is the ratio for H9. also check edges manual for the tire size chart and make sure that the tire size is right, also subtract about 3% or so from the size that edge gives you for a squish factor. oh and about the mpg, you need to be viewing the ampg or average miles per gallon not the instant miles per gallon. the impg just tells you what your mpg would be if you constantly had the gas pedal pressed however far it is pressed. the ampg tells you your actually mpg.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:48 PM
my IMPG goes from 14 to 22, 26, 30+, and just keeps bouncing around numbers...there is no way i get passed maybe 17...ive never seen passed 15.8 with my 30gal tank. I can burn approx. 27 gal and go like 384 miles and I only get like 13-15.8.
The IMPG is working perfectly, read the manual to understand that particular feature, if you haven't already.

22MPG could be possible on the HWY...I would routinely get 19.5-20.2 with my 34.7" tires going 65-70 on the highway being very careful with the flipper....city was around 15. The GR is quite important if you'd like to use the MPG feature of the Edge.

H9 is a 3.55LS...

Once you get this thing dialed in, you'll be very happy on L2.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor

so you're saying once i wanted to switch from level 1 to level 2, i have to go into custom tune regardless and change tire and gear ratio in that level? My girlfriends grandpa has the same exact and identical truck as mine, but his is all stock, no leveling kit like mine (not sure how much that'll mess with MPGs) and he claims (although hes grandpa and if its 60mph he drives 55mph) he gets 22mpg!...thats IMPOSSIBLE
You only have to correct the setting once. If you switch between level 1,2,3 you need to *load previous setting first to keep your gear, tire and other settings the same.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by dilloncawthon
alright well you need to check the program settings to make sure that the gear ratio is set to 3.55 because i think that is the ratio for H9. also check edges manual for the tire size chart and make sure that the tire size is right, also subtract about 3% or so from the size that edge gives you for a squish factor. oh and about the mpg, you need to be viewing the ampg or average miles per gallon not the instant miles per gallon. the impg just tells you what your mpg would be if you constantly had the gas pedal pressed however far it is pressed. the ampg tells you your actually mpg.
squish factor? it says my tire size is 2559mm (275/65/18)

Quick Reply: so i finally got an EDGE EVO...very disappointed!