Edge causes rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 10:58 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge causes rough idle

I'm 99% percent sure my Edge is causing a rough idle on my 06 FX4 on level 2. Actually I think the truck runs "rougher" all together.

I've been experimenting the last 2 weeks. Running it with Level 2 and then running it stock. Truck idles so much smoother on stock setting. No idea why. I'm going to run it on level 1 and stock for the next couple of weeks and see if level 1 messes with it any.

I guess it's time to send it off to be Gryphonized. I would hate for the same problem to happen with custom tunes, though.

It idles so rough, sometimes it will make the antenna shudder. On stock tune it's smooth. No antenna shudder. You can just feel the difference.

What sucks is the performance I lose on stock tune, though.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:19 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by mxracer49
I'm 99% percent sure my Edge is causing a rough idle on my 06 FX4 on level 2. Actually I think the truck runs "rougher" all together.

I've been experimenting the last 2 weeks. Running it with Level 2 and then running it stock. Truck idles so much smoother on stock setting. No idea why. I'm going to run it on level 1 and stock for the next couple of weeks and see if level 1 messes with it any.

I guess it's time to send it off to be Gryphonized. I would hate for the same problem to happen with custom tunes, though.

It idles so rough, sometimes it will make the antenna shudder. On stock tune it's smooth. No antenna shudder. You can just feel the difference.

What sucks is the performance I lose on stock tune, though.
Go to PHP's website - look at the FAQs. You MAY need to clean your throttle body. Advanced tuning seems to exaggerate the effects of a dirty throttle body, causing poor idle characteristics. Bill tells you how to do it in the FAQs.

- Jack

Old 08-19-2009, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Go to PHP's website - look at the FAQs. You MAY need to clean your throttle body. Advanced tuning seems to exaggerate the effects of a dirty throttle body, causing poor idle characteristics. Bill tells you how to do it in the FAQs.

- Jack
Thanks, Jack. I'll check it out.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:41 PM
Hey,

I had a similar problem with the rough idle on level 3 with Bluejay's mild EDGE mods when I ran the A/C. I moved my idle around in small steps until it went away. I think it was 75 or 100 rpm. Not necessarily the engineered fix, but it works until I go to PHP this fall. Good luck.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by james04
Hey,

I had a similar problem with the rough idle on level 3 with Bluejay's mild EDGE mods when I ran the A/C. I moved my idle around in small steps until it went away. I think it was 75 or 100 rpm. Not necessarily the engineered fix, but it works until I go to PHP this fall. Good luck.
Thanks I may have to try it. I've been running on Level 1 for the last 2 days and the idle has been smooth.

I just cleaned the throttle body tonight and switched back to level 2. Haven't had a chance to drive it enough to tell. It's actually random and doesn't idle rough all the time on Level 2. But it was doing it enough to be a nuisance.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Rough idle is usually caused by low idle, bump it up and the problem should be gone.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:36 PM
Interested to know if cleaning your throttle body fixed your problem. I was leaning that direction but Jack beat me to the response.

Trending Topics

Old 08-25-2009, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Micheal
Interested to know if cleaning your throttle body fixed your problem. I was leaning that direction but Jack beat me to the response.
Well, I've given it a few days now and I honestly don't think it helped. Time to do some searching.

Quick Reply: Edge causes rough idle