The Gotts Mod Revisited - For 2004+ Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used regular "white" pvc pipe. I then painted it with semi-flat black spray paint. It looks very factory.

My local Home Depot/lowes sell 2 foot sections of it for just a few dollars.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Nettershakes
So Ive been reading up on the Gotts intake and I am becoming more and more interested in it. I have the 05 4.2L with the big, round air filter box and Im wondering if I could use the same steps as in the 97-03 Gotts version.
It seems likely that you could. It's such an inexpensive mod, I'd try it. Especially, if you find, like me, that it can be done without becoming "permanent". As long as I knew I could go back to stock easily, I was willing to give it a try.

- Jack

Old 03-16-2009, 07:11 PM
only one thing the white pipe for sprinklers will break easy iknow iknow who cares its only 1/20Th of the cost of some custom part like k&n or the others but if it where me i would do it to last at least go for a sch40 pipe and thats just me don't like wasting time redoing thing but hey when the wife is on my back ill do things three time just to get it right and stay in the shop just to get out of her site! but hay like my gramps said if we all like the same thing there would be a line at the front door to marry your grandma boy wow was gramps looseing his site!!

Old 04-20-2009, 11:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Just did this mod!! Holy Crap!!! Its Awesome!

Best $5.84 i ever spent. Feels like 30HP on the Butt Cheeks Dyno! I hav'nt even put in the K&N drop In I've ordered yet! Sanding the pipe was a PITA. Finally got it to fit with a BFH and some WD-40. It was really close though. Lets just say its not gonna fall out. I had considered wrapping the pipe in Carbon Fiber Stickers Material, but thought that might be too ricey, also since you can't really wrap the whole baffle pipe it would only look half done anyways. Anyways at this point I highly recommend it. Found the parts to do it the other way at lowes pretty easily. 3inch X 2 ft pipe. 3" 'Coupler', Downspout Adapter. That way certainly would have been easier. However, this way is more secure and smoother air flow (IMHO). I didnt reset the computer, but it did not matter the extra HP was available right away. I don't think it makes a difference to the computer because it is before the MAF.

Last edited by newtrix; 04-21-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:01 AM
Are you also running a high flow air filter in the stock filter box?

Old 04-21-2009, 02:12 AM
Oops meant to elaborate a little more...

Is doing this mod plus adding a high flow air filter cause any ill affects to the motor?

I would think this combo would be an excellent alternative to the expensive aftermarket intakes.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:31 AM
I saw one of these on eBay earlier today before reading these posts...wondered if it was someone's idea of a Gotts for the 04-08, and then sure enough here it was, lol. They're selling it for $25 though, so someone's gonna make some profit if it catches on.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:33 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by hpdiniz

Is doing this mod plus adding a high flow air filter cause any ill affects to the motor?

I would think this combo would be an excellent alternative to the expensive aftermarket intakes.
I don't see how it would be harmful. You're not disturbing the MAF sensor environment.

- Jack

Old 04-21-2009, 10:39 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

I have been running a K&N droping for 84,000 miles. I recently added the intake mod and it seems to be working great. I think several others are running the same setup.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:49 AM
It's been quite a while since I've had K&N filters. Do they still require the cleaning and oiling products?

Old 04-21-2009, 11:50 AM
Global Moderator &

It's been quite a while since I've had K&N filters. Do they still require the cleaning and oiling products?
Yes, I do mine about every 20,000 miles.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I am not yet running the K & N Drop In though I will next week. I hav'nt bought a Gryphon, but I'm sure I will someday. I only have Gotts and a SIDO Flowmaster 50.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:46 PM
hey all when i read jacks redo of the gotts or what ever it was i did both the k&n and the 3"pvc pulse removed the resonators of the intake then three days latter i put duel exhaust on then dyno the hole package it didn't make it run lean go figure never touched the MAF sensor and now i have put almost 10,000 miles on it and decide to check it once again and low and behold the plugs looked good and it is still not running lean! ever one is so a scared they are doing some big deal look as long as you don't do any thing to or after the MAF sensor the on board computer will make any changes it needs to and keep on going and you should not have to be concerns!

Old 04-21-2009, 11:57 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by blueovelboy
hey all when i read jacks redo of the gotts or what ever it was i did both the k&n and the 3"pvc pulse removed the resonators of the intake then three days latter i put duel exhaust on then dyno the hole package it didn't make it run lean go figure never touched the MAF sensor and now i have put almost 10,000 miles on it and decide to check it once again and low and behold the plugs looked good and it is still not running lean! ever one is so a scared they are doing some big deal look as long as you don't do any thing to or after the MAF sensor the on board computer will make any changes it needs to and keep on going and you should not have to be concerns!
It's the 2004s and early 2005s that came from the factory in a near lean condition that stand a higher likelyhood of running lean.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:09 AM
Global Moderator &

The picture in your sig kinda choked me up, blueovelboy! We have to remember the sacrifice our Brothers and Sisters have given for us and we HAVE to KNOW the true cost of wars! These were people, some of them were people we might have known. Regardless, they were GOOD people and we have to ask ourselves, how long does the sacrifice continue?

Is their sacrifice worth it? Would any of us gladly trade places with them?

Sorry for the hijack - just a few thoughts on this subject from an old, weary of war, Vietnam Vet.

- Jack

Quick Reply: The Gotts Mod Revisited - For 2004+ Trucks