GRyphon function

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:44 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzstang
I didn't really get a manual with the information that Bluejay talks about with my Gryphon. My manual tells you how to connect it and load programs but I have not seen anything in it that tells you about the timing and octane level or how to measure for tires or several other things that I have seen talked about here. Am I missing a manual? Do the Gryphon's come with two manuals?
This is a little confusing, but I will make an attempt. The Gryphon and the Edge come with the same canned tunes, so the Edge manual will apply to the Gryphon until you get your custom tunes. PHP may not ship the full maunal(just guessing), since it's assumed you will be soon running the custom tunes. However, there are a lot of things in the Edge manual that I would want to do and know if I were running the canned tunes, while waiting on the custom tunes.

You can go to the Edge website and download the manual. It applies to the Gryphon until you get your custom tunes.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you guys. I will compare this with the manual I have. It is possible that in my excitement I didn't read the manual that was sent as thoroughly as I should have.

I just installed the unit and loaded the level 2 program but I have not driven it yet. I wanted to know how to change the gears and shift firmness before I even took it out of the garage. I am going to load Bluejay's settings he has discussed in other threads but I don't like hard shifts so I will soften those up. I have a Factory Tech separator plate so I am not sure how the programmer reacts with that yet.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lot of people must believe Bluejay is a pretty level headed, common sense type of guy. They're all copying his settings.

I have them saved as well, for when I get my Edge. :o

Old 02-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by last5oh_302
A lot of people must believe Bluejay is a pretty level headed, common sense type of guy. They're all copying his settings.

Most of you don't know I blew the heads on a strong running 351 Clev with 175hp nitrous shot.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by last5oh_302

I ran those settings for 30,000 miles with no problem. I now have almost 82,000 on the truck and the only problem has been a wheel bearing and a broken window regulator. I don't think my Edge?gryphon contributed to those.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Most of you don't know I blew the heads on a strong running 351 Clev with 175hp nitrous shot.

I ran those settings for 30,000 miles with no problem. I now have almost 82,000 on the truck and the only problem has been a wheel bearing and a broken window regulator. I don't think my Edge?gryphon contributed to those.
PHEW!!

Old 02-19-2009, 03:32 PM
maybe this question has already been answered..but i couldn't find the answer to it...if you buy custom tunes from PHP do you have to send in your Gryphon to them so they can install it on there, or do they send you the tune via the internet and you install it yourself??

Old 02-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Travis2688
maybe this question has already been answered..but i couldn't find the answer to it...if you buy custom tunes from PHP do you have to send in your Gryphon to them so they can install it on there, or do they send you the tune via the internet and you install it yourself??
It comes to you by email. You download it to your unit.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:14 PM
thanks..i noticed on the order form, they offer stock tunes, a custom perfomance and a custom tow..i was wondering..can they make like an economy or MPG tune?

Old 02-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Travis2688
thanks..i noticed on the order form, they offer stock tunes, a custom perfomance and a custom tow..i was wondering..can they make like an economy or MPG tune?
Yes, I think several on here have ordered economy tunes.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Yes, I think several on here have ordered economy tunes.
I'm going to add to Bluejay's response. Bill at PHP can write a tune for any goal you have in mind (that has to do with driving your truck of course). As far as I know, he's not offering any that will improve your love life.

Seriously though, figure out what you want from your truck and tell Bill. For instance, Bluejay and I like good passing power but aren't too concerned about breaking the tires loose from a standing start.

Just identify properties you want and tell Bill. And, you don't HAVE to get three different tunes. I have two.

- Jack

Old 02-19-2009, 11:49 PM
JackandJanet (or anyone with some insight), the procedure you detailed in another thread (that I now can't find) about how to load the level of program you desire then go back in and load previous settings and then make your changes to the custom program and done and enter and load. The problem is when I do this my truck idles ruff and smells so bad of gas it burns your eyes. If I go into the program as I load it and make the custom changes it idles well but I can't tell if it loaded my changes and if I hit the load previous settings section to check it screws everything up again and I have to start over. Any idea of what the hell is going on here?

Thanks.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzstang
JackandJanet (or anyone with some insight), the procedure you detailed in another thread (that I now can't find) about how to load the level of program you desire then go back in and load previous settings and then make your changes to the custom program and done and enter and load. The problem is when I do this my truck idles ruff and smells so bad of gas it burns your eyes. If I go into the program as I load it and make the custom changes it idles well but I can't tell if it loaded my changes and if I hit the load previous settings section to check it screws everything up again and I have to start over. Any idea of what the hell is going on here?

Thanks.
Hi again grizz - you're not alone in being confused about "loading previous settings". Every time I think I understand where the programmer is getting its information from, something comes up that tells me I really don't know what's going on.

According to Bill Cohron, the "factory" information is kept in a VID section of the PCM that you cannot change. And, if I understood him right, if you load a Level x tune without using Custom Options, the programmer will use the VID information to input certain data, such as gear ratio and tire size (and possibly other things) into the writeable area of the PCM - the area that you actually change when you load a custom tune.

I WANT to believe that if you select "Reload Previous Settings" in the Custom Options menu, that the programmer reaches in to the PCM and finds what was written there and uses it to "fill in" some of the options you have control over. But, I'm not sure it works this way at all. Possibly, these settings are written into the EPROM on the Gryphon itself and they are retrieved from there. But, Bill has said that until you actually put a meaningful value in whatever place this is, you simply load "placeholders" (garbage values).

None of this addresses your issues though. I don't know why you would be getting what seems like a rich running idle with the settings you loaded. You can't even control the idle A/F setting.

But - If you select a tune level, go through the custom options you want and change them to your liking and then hit Enter on "Done" you should see the Gryphon going through about 3 phases after you turn the key back ON to start the programming process. As I recall, it "gathers information", then it "creates the custom file" - which can take quite a while, depending on the number of custom options you've looked at, and then it "writes" these changes to the PCM (my lights blink when it finishes and I hear what sounds like a relay "clunk").

Now, if your truck runs well, and the Gryphon's display screen shows the correct level, I'd be happy. It should definitely feel and run better than on a stock setting. And, if you need to change anything, maybe skip the "reload settings" part and just go through all the settings manually. I'd defiantly write down the values for each one so you know what your baseline is when you make further changes. I know I did.

- Jack

Old 02-20-2009, 02:09 PM
Right now it is showing the proper level and it idles fine. I have not driven it yet because I wanted to get some opinions about what was going on first.

I am starting to think you might be on to something with the Load Previous Settings function in the Custom Options menu. I think it holds whatever changes you have made in the Custom Options menu and uses them until you change those manually again.

I think mine goes through all 4 phases every time a change is made. I didn't notice the lights flash but I do hear it clunk when it is done.

I wish I had thought to write down the stock settings. I assumed the unit would default to those. All the changes I made from Bluejay's settings really weren't far off the stock settings (what pops up when you first enter the screen) and really should not make to idle so bad.

I will actually drive it and play around a little more this weekend in order to figure this out.

Quick Reply: GRyphon function