Got my 05 FX4 Tuned w/ HP Tuners.....My Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my 05 FX4 Tuned w/ HP Tuners.....My Review

I come from the LS1 and LS2 crowd and have used a friend of mine here in Austin TX to tune my previous vehicles using HP Tuners. When I bought my 05 FX4 a month or so ago now, I began looking at the programmers and tuners out there.

My requirements for tuning were a little bit different than most. First and foremost, I do not want a tuner or display on the dash anywhere. I don't need the gauge display or anything like that and since I travel and park at hotels quite often, the less visible the better. Second, I of course wanted full control of the truck and what it did and be able to select everything that I wanted to individually change or modify.

So my friend graciously went out and bought the ability via HP Tuners to tune the 04-08 F-150. He's tuned a few others and I went out and had him take care of mine yesterday. Took care of all the torque management crap, adjusted the speedometer for my 35" tires, deleted the rear Cats, adjusted rev limiter, speed limiter, and shift points as well as shift firmness. I've only been driving it a day now, but it has made a HUGE difference already.

The best part is that the tuning costs less than HALF of what the tuners and canned setups cost for these trucks. It took care of all that I needed and did it for half the price that I was almost ready to pay.

For any of you who might be in the Austin, Waco, San Marcos, San Antonio area or even Dallas or Houston if you want to make the trip, I can get you setup with him if you are interested. I am in no way trying to take anything away from the companies here who support us all so well, but I also want to share a good thing with those others who may be interested and who live close by.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:20 AM
what are we talking price wise?

Old 12-28-2008, 11:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

wonder if his name is nelson.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by ONE04FX4
wonder if his name is nelson.
Nope I don't know anyone named Nelson.

If I am breaking the rules by saying this, please let me know and I'll get rid of this post. I don't want to cause any problems. The cost is $250 for a lifetime of tuning as long as you own the truck. Anytime you change something or want something done, you can go back to him for free and have it changed or adjusted.

Again I don't mean to take anything away from any of those who do the tuning for the Edge and Gryphon, this just suited me better.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:20 PM
members can mention pricing, sponsors cannot-phil,btw- thanks

Old 12-28-2008, 02:15 PM
If I lived in texas your buddy would hate me. Liftetime tunning for 250 bucks.....what a deal. I'd keep touching up my tune for all these mods I keep throwing at the truck.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:26 PM
?

Originally Posted by sbchris
If I lived in texas your buddy would hate me. Liftetime tunning for 250 bucks.....what a deal. I'd keep touching up my tune for all these mods I keep throwing at the truck.
curious what mods are you doing that you think you need changes to tune?

Old 12-28-2008, 05:06 PM
?

Originally Posted by TJ05FX4
Nope I don't know anyone named Nelson.

If I am breaking the rules by saying this, please let me know and I'll get rid of this post. I don't want to cause any problems. The cost is $250 for a lifetime of tuning as long as you own the truck. Anytime you change something or want something done, you can go back to him for free and have it changed or adjusted.

Again I don't mean to take anything away from any of those who do the tuning for the Edge and Gryphon, this just suited me better.
out of curiosity, are you running an intake?if so did you datalog so your buddy could check air-fuel ratio?

Old 12-29-2008, 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by openclasspro#11
curious what mods are you doing that you think you need changes to tune?
Just little things that I would like adjusted. Headers, gears & shift points, changing bigger tires, and changing gears again... all the stuff you wish you did right the first time and then got a tune, not the tune first then mods....

Old 12-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by openclasspro#11
out of curiosity, are you running an intake?if so did you datalog so your buddy could check air-fuel ratio?
No I don't have any performance mods as of yet. I will be adding a S&B intake and MBRP exhaust in the next month or two and will be sure to log everything and make the necessary adjustments then.

More than likely, I will add the intake by itself and see how the A/F looks and then throw the exhaust on there and tune accordingly. I'm curious to see how accurate all these claims of these trucks running lean with intakes.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:13 PM
the intake will lean it - a catback exhaust won't , now throw long tube headers on there -that will cahnge the air-fuel ratio-phil

Old 04-24-2023, 03:00 AM
Originally Posted by TJ05FX4
I come from the LS1 and LS2 crowd and have used a friend of mine here in Austin TX to tune my previous vehicles using HP Tuners. When I bought my 05 FX4 a month or so ago now, I began looking at the programmers and tuners out there.

My requirements for tuning were a little bit different than most. First and foremost, I do not want a tuner or display on the dash anywhere. I don't need the gauge display or anything like that and since I travel and park at hotels quite often, the less visible the better. Second, I of course wanted full control of the truck and what it did and be able to select everything that I wanted to individually change or modify.

So my friend graciously went out and bought the ability via HP Tuners to tune the 04-08 F-150. He's tuned a few others and I went out and had him take care of mine yesterday. Took care of all the torque management crap, adjusted the speedometer for my 35" tires, deleted the rear Cats, adjusted rev limiter, speed limiter, and shift points as well as shift firmness. I've only been driving it a day now, but it has made a HUGE difference already.

The best part is that the tuning costs less than HALF of what the tuners and canned setups cost for these trucks. It took care of all that I needed and did it for half the price that I was almost ready to pay.

For any of you who might be in the Austin, Waco, San Marcos, San Antonio area or even Dallas or Houston if you want to make the trip, I can get you setup with him if you are interested. I am in no way trying to take anything away from the companies here who support us all so well, but I also want to share a good thing with those others who may be interested and who live close by.
I'd like to get my 06 expedition tuned 5.4 and i have ho tuners and credits alresdy if he is still even interested lol i know this post is old but email is bpruitt254@gmail.com

Quick Reply: Got my 05 FX4 Tuned w/ HP Tuners.....My Review