How to chose a Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 07:36 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
How to chose a Tuner

Okay boys & girls. Let's just stick to the facts.

Specific Articulable Facts!

I would like to hear from others as to how they picked out which custom tuner to do business with. How did you chose? Why? Let's just try to keep personal opinions out of it. Being a nice guy or snappy dresser has nothing to do with the actual product that you're paying for.

Several months ago, I was in the market for a custom tune. I wanted custom tuning based upon my truck and it's modifications, not just some tune written for mostly stock vehicles to operate safely with minimal gains, so "canned tunes" were out. So right away, I eliminated the Edge, Predator Diablo, Jet Chip, and Superchips. I narrowed down my choices to between a SCT X-Cal2 or X3, and which company to call. After reviewing these and other forums, and reading what information these gentlemen chose to put on their websites, I was able to make a fairly sound decision after speaking on the phone with the tuning company. I eventually ordered a hand held flash device with a set of 3 custom tunes from someone who primarily tunes and sells accessories for the F-150 truck, as opposed to someone who also tunes other vehicles and on their website has a bunch of stuff for other cars but very little for the F-150.

Not that it matters who I picked, since the purpose of this post is not to endorse one person over the other. But let's just say that it wasn't that 1980's guy with the big hair & mustache & Rayban Aviator shades looking like Magnum P.I. with his polo shirt with the little animal on the chest and his Members Only jacket. Just kidding. Lighten up, guys. If anyone reading this actually has a mullet, we are now accepting donations in your name. Domo Arigato, Mister Roboto to send you back to 1984.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
picked the same man-after a talk with him and his knowledge of the f150 platform and ford pcm tuning- was enough for me-now 2 tuned vehicles and zero issues after 100k miles-was proof in the pudding

Old 05-15-2008, 07:53 PM
if you read other post, there are so many people here who have the gryphons tunes or vmp tunes. a few people here have troyer tunes.

i would just tell ya to call each person and go with whom you seem more impressed with over the phone and of course read other post to come up with your decision.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:57 PM
And some of you guys have to post pics of yourselves to prove that you don't look like that stuck in the 80's guy. You know who you are. Get a haircut and some new clothes. And get rid of that fanny pack.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:03 PM
?

Originally Posted by Fifty150
And some of you guys have to post pics of yourselves to prove that you don't look like that stuck in the 80's guy. You know who you are. Get a haircut and some new clothes. And get rid of that fanny pack.
i guess i'll have to get a pic of me in my fanny pack and 80's z cavarichi shirt and jeans when i go to pick up my z06

Old 05-15-2008, 08:06 PM
?

Originally Posted by FiLiPiNo AkO
if you read other post, there are so many people here who have the gryphons tunes or vmp tunes. a few people here have troyer tunes.

i would just tell ya to call each person and go with whom you seem more impressed with over the phone and of course read other post to come up with your decision.
i'd put up a $100 dollars u got that backwards-a few people here have troyer tunes and so many have gryphons and vmp's-gryphon has a long way just to catch up to justins amount of f150 tunes let alone mike's -lol

Old 05-15-2008, 09:02 PM
Please make sure those donations are made out in my name so that there are no misrepresentations! As i would like to be sent back to my proper era!

And if I'm not misreading you???
I too have a problem with solicited opinions and people who jump at every chance to promote something with out properly representing of themselves!
I'm not pointing fingers I'm just making a generally vague statement!

Old 05-15-2008, 09:23 PM
?

Originally Posted by phatboyspam
Please make sure those donations are made out in my name so that there are no misrepresentations! As i would like to be sent back to my proper era!

And if I'm not misreading you???
I too have a problem with solicited opinions and people who jump at every chance to promote something with out properly representing of themselves!
I'm not pointing fingers I'm just making a generally vague statement!
please elaborate on the properly representing of themselves

Old 05-15-2008, 09:54 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Fifty150, you've started a reasonable thread and so far, no one seems to be able to answer your simple question. I'll try:

I bought my truck, used, last June and then "stumbled" on these forums. After reading some of the posts about tuners, I started looking at them. Finally, I got an Edge through Ebay for what I thought was a reasonable price.

I started noticing the posts by ASEMechanic about Edges and his vow to support people who had bought them, even though he no longer worked for Edge. I was impressed with the intelligent, rational way he talked to people who were having Edge problems and his willingness to help them, even when it was pretty obvious that some of their problems were "user caused".

The more I learned about my Edge, the more I came to respect ASEMechanic's (Bill Cohron's) advice and willingness to go the extra mile to help Edge users.

I was momentarilly shocked when Bill announced he could no longer "custom tune" the Edge due to that company's concern over CARB certification.

Then, of course, I learned he would be "rebranding" the Edge as a Gryphon and would be able to continue custom tuning on the Gryphon. Just on a whim, I called PowerHungryPerformance and talked to both Corey and Bill.

I'm not an easy "sell", but it was not long before I decided these were good people and that Bill knew what he was doing. He did NOT talk me into anything - he just told me what was not right with my canned tunes and what he could do for me. I traded my Edge for a custom tuned Gryphon and am totally satisfied. The Edge was good, the custom tuned Gryphon is even better.

Bottom line: Honesty, integrity, system knowledge, willingness to explain things in a way that makes sense, fair price, great product, peace of mind knowing I can talk to him for advice/clarification anytime I want (for whatever reason), PHP's "up front" approach to all the issues surrounding tuning, and, my absolute certanty that they stand behind their work -full on!

Any intelligent person can see most of what I'm talking about by just reading the way PHP responds on this forum to customer concerns/questions. They NEVER bash! They NEVER "talk down"! They simply give honest, thoughtful advice.

So, Fifty150, this is how I "picked them out". And, I'm glad I was able to answer your question!

- Jack

Old 05-16-2008, 12:00 AM
I'll bet that already having an Edge Evolution, and being able to trade it in, helps too. If I already had an Edge, and I was either having problems or wanted to move up from canned tunes, I would do exactly the same. Besides, Bill probably provides better product support than the people at Edge.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by openclasspro#11
picked the same man-after a talk with him and his knowledge of the f150 platform and ford pcm tuning- was enough for me-now 2 tuned vehicles and zero issues after 100k miles-was proof in the pudding

But I'm having the other guy tune my Mustang. It only makes sense.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:15 AM
On a side note, I posted a similar question in the Suspensions forum about leveling kits. There, the most vocal tend to favor one particular brand. When asked why, the best answer that any of them could come up with was that it was cheap. For me, cheap was not a good enough reason. I would hate to be driving and have my strut fall off the truck because my leveling kit was cheap. Just as I would hate for the truck to suddenly develop engine problems because my tune was the cheapest.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:03 AM
I'm in the "already an edge evo owner" catagory so I won't speak for, or against any tuner. because it would be very biased.
Aaand.... fifty150 I totally understand how no one can give a definitive answer to what front leveling kit is better.. and why?
Isn't the tuner question becoming similar to the leveling kit question? no one can justify one over the other?????????????

OCP11 perhaps i read into your statements to deep.
but my point was i wouldn't ever recomend a product i own, over one i haven't owned. Where as some people tend to mud up these forums with the only thing they know about, and stomp around holding a sign promoting that companies name.
I'm not talking about anyone in particular, again I'm making a generally vague statement.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:12 AM
I have just ordered a Gryphon from PHP. I have spent the past few months reading forums and comments from various people and after many emails to Corey at PHP, (with very quick replies), I decided that the Gryphon will meet my present and future needs very nicely.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Fifty150
I'll bet that already having an Edge Evolution, and being able to trade it in, helps too. If I already had an Edge, and I was either having problems or wanted to move up from canned tunes, I would do exactly the same. Besides, Bill probably provides better product support than the people at Edge.
I agree with everythng you've said. There was no way that I would have discarded the Edge for another product, because I was not unhappy with it. It was working fine as far as I could tell.

But, I decided it could be made better at very little cost. When I talked with Bill, he didn't try to "snow" me with vague promises. He was specific about what the "trade" involved and how he would adjust the tune for my needs. From this, and from his other actions on this forum, he earned my trust. I would not have considered the Gryphon if it meant working with someone I couldn't respect or didn't trust.

And, I like what phatboyspam said too. I've NEVER recommended the Gryphon over another product that I've not tried. All I know is, Gryphon works for me.

- Jack

Quick Reply: How to chose a Tuner