Edge Evo In California????

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge Evo In California????

Hey all,
Anyone using the Edge Evolution in California? Just wondering if this thing is CARB legal? The statement in Edge's website isn't very specific or helpful. The best that I can get from local dealers is "turn it off before inspection," which doesn't help.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:57 AM
I am using one in CA. I am sure it is not CARB legal but will return to stock before any emissions testing.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:47 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by bangingd
I am using one in CA. I am sure it is not CARB legal but will return to stock before any emissions testing.
You might want to be careful with this. An earlier post on a different thread in this forum talked about their truck failing the emissions test BECASE they returned the programming to stock prion to the test. The reason it failed was because there was not enough time between the reset and the test for the PCM to "recalibrate" and clear its "codes". The presence of a code caused the failure.

Several other writers then claimed they had no problems with the test using their current "tune" and the overall feeling was to not reset it to stock. The opinion was that a tune would actually perform better than stock on an emissions test.

Remember, with the Edge, you can always take it out of the truck without changing the tune, so the testers would not know you were using it. Once it's programmed the PCM, it's just an extra set of gauges.

I'm sure Bill could give you a better opinion on this if he happens to read your post.

- Jack

Old 02-26-2008, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
You might want to be careful with this. An earlier post on a different thread in this forum talked about their truck failing the emissions test BECASE they returned the programming to stock prion to the test. The reason it failed was because there was not enough time between the reset and the test for the PCM to "recalibrate" and clear its "codes". The presence of a code caused the failure.

Several other writers then claimed they had no problems with the test using their current "tune" and the overall feeling was to not reset it to stock. The opinion was that a tune would actually perform better than stock on an emissions test.

Remember, with the Edge, you can always take it out of the truck without changing the tune, so the testers would not know you were using it. Once it's programmed the PCM, it's just an extra set of gauges.

I'm sure Bill could give you a better opinion on this if he happens to read your post.

- Jack
I guess I should have said I would return to stock and give 3-4 days running stock before testing to allow adaptive learning to settle down. I would also check DTC's prior to running to smog station. That's what I was thinking but didn't come out in the reply. I thought you guys could read minds

I would be curious to see if any of the people that passed emissions testing with tunes loaded are from the Peoples Republic of California.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:46 AM
Technical Article Contributor

On the box the evo comes in, it specifically says "not legal for street use in CA"

I did though.

Right now my truck runs cleaner on my custom tunes than it did stock, i should have no problem passing emissions.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:20 PM
I have an e-mail into Edge to check the status on the EPA/CARB certifications. I know they have been working with them for some time, but I am not sure if they finally did get certified or if it is still in process.

I'll get back to you on it.

Bill

Old 02-27-2008, 12:30 AM
UPDATE:

Edge had this on the website...

http://www.edgeproducts.com/customer...le.php?csak=33

Hope this helps.

Bill

Old 02-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the follow-up. I had caught this in their web sight as well, but it's really not specific to any product. I've since checked CARB's on-line database and found that Edge only has 1 E.O. Unfortunately, it's unrelated to the Evolution. So I guess, as folks have already mentioned, it's a "no go" for California.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Suspended
Why not just remove it a week prior to having your inspection done?

Quick Reply: Edge Evo In California????