User Adjustability ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 08:11 AM
ski
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
User Adjustability ?

Hi all could someone give a detailed description or point me to a thread that tells exactly what the user adjustabilities do. I understand the tire/rev, rev limiters and that stuff, but Spark, Shift points. Could someone please let me know the advantages or disadvantages of adjusting these. Could I blow up my truck adjusting them. Thanks

Old 05-08-2007, 01:31 PM
eh1
I would also like to know about user adjustability with troyer's tuning w/ the xcalII

Old 05-10-2007, 06:33 AM
ski
No one knows or can explain what the user adjustabilities are. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have an older xcal2 so there were hardly any directions, and the user adjustability wasn't out yet.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ski
No one knows or can explain what the user adjustabilities are. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have an older xcal2 so there were hardly any directions, and the user adjustability wasn't out yet.

I'l try ski.
Mike has made it possible on "some" of his tuners for the individual to either increase or decrease their timing(spark), normally he has held it to + or - 2 degrees I believe. Any more than that and one could end up doing some serious damage to their vehicle if they didn't know or understrand what timing is all about. He has also enabled them to be able to set their shift points (firmness) to a certain degree so to speak. By going up or down on the rpm range, say instead of the 1-2 upshift being at 5200 rpm @WOT, you can readjust it to shift at 5000rpm, or maybe raise it to 5300rpm.
I hope this helps .

You going to make the next Dyno-Day on June 15th & 16th???? Haven't seen you since the one in Salem way back when......

Old 05-10-2007, 11:55 AM
ski
Thanks Marc for the info. So with the spark what actually does that change. Say I take subtract spark would that give me less hp, and adding spark give more hp? How much percent equals what in rpm's. I think my shift firmness I can take to -10% or plus 10%, I really didn't mess with it too much. Was afraid to blow an my engine hehe.
I can't make dyno day. My june schedule is booked up with quantico trips, and training here in WV. Wish I can make it.

Last edited by ski; 05-10-2007 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ski
Thanks Marc for the info. So with the spark what actually does that change. Say I take subtract spark would that give me less hp, and adding spark give more hp? How much percent equals what in rpm's. I think my shift firmness I can take to -10% or plus 10%, I really didn't mess with it too much. Was afraid to blow an my engine hehe.
I can't make dyno day. My june schedule is booked up with quantico trips, and training here in WV. Wish I can make it.
Hi Ski.

While you may be able to advance or retard your timing ( a.k.a 'spark'), I wouldn't recommend doing so without a valid reason.

MT created those tunes for the octane level you specified, with the timing advance set optimally for max safe performance. Provided you have good quality fuel, leave it alone - it's already at the best setting - you will not be improving upon it.

IF you detect any sort of knock on a regular basis, you could conceiveably retard it some (and lose some power), but be aware that you cannot always detect it anyway. If you are pinging audibly & a lot, you should let TP know ASAP.

For your shift pressures - your 4R75E is more tolerant of line pressure increases, and anyway, MT only allows taking it so far in the tunes, well below the point where you would cause any harm.

Keep up that maintenance too.

Cheers
Bubba

Old 05-10-2007, 12:50 PM
What MGDfan said is pretty much dead on.
Spark or timing as some call it is something that most should not mess with.
Mike has enabled it so you can retard your timing should you detect detonation or pinging, say you were running your 93 tune and bought some bad gas. If you noticed any detonation (pinging) yoiu could retard (-) the timing so as not to risk any damage until that gas was spent. Then again there are some that want to add (+) a degree or two of timing to attempt to get that extra little "umph" out of their tune if they feel there fuel grade will support it. As far as you loosing or gaining any noticeable horsepower, I doubt you could tell the difference..

Old 05-13-2007, 05:27 PM
My personal experience with Mikes’ tunes is, they’re already set up just right; no need to fool around with um. I’ve been running them in my 04 Lariat since 12-03-04; totally trouble free; it’s good stuff! da'bomb

Old 05-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello Ski,

Actually, we updated your tuner when you were here on the dyno - if yo have any questions about what you can do with it, just give us a call & we'll be happy to go over that with you.

In short, do NOT adjust spark advance, that is a ticking time-bomb. There is no more power to be had be adding or reducing spark from what we have done.

Additionally, we still need to discuss what is going on with your truck, as it ran perfectly fine here on the dyno and made great power, yet you claim that it's 2 seconds slower in the 0-60 times, so something isn't' right. The tune that I sent you has not been tested, as you changed intakes, but it's very easy to put the AF1 back on and check that other new tune I sent you - at any rate, we want to make sure that whatever your issues are, if they are in fact a tuning issue, are taken care of, so please do give us a call, ok?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: User Adjustability ?