Edge Evolution 05 f150 5.4L

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge Evolution 05 f150 5.4L

Hi,
I recently installed the Edge Evolution on my 05 F150 5.4L, and on level 3 there seems to be a miss while at highway cruising speeds (55 - 65 mph). Has anyone had this same issue? Everything else seems to be working great, I do have the problem with the display freezing now and then. Edge says that this is a cold issue, but I'm in Hawaii so....... Its not like it gets down below say 69 degrees in my area.
I will update my evolution sometime today but won't get to test for about 4 days since i have a full tank of 89. I have it in level 2 now and it does not seem to have any problems like it does in level 3 (yes I have 92 octane in it when on level 3). I don't hear any pinging or detonation, so I don't think I had bunk gas in it.

Old 01-29-2007, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by sikryd
Hi,
I recently installed the Edge Evolution on my 05 F150 5.4L, and on level 3 there seems to be a miss while at highway cruising speeds (55 - 65 mph).

Please explain what you refer to as a miss. A few of us have a shudder caused by the TC locking and unlocking around those speeds. If this is the cause you can search for shudder and edge and see a few posts that pop up.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:32 PM
Have you tried using only 93 octane all the time?

Old 01-29-2007, 07:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think he's experiencing the edge level 3 transmission shudder. Some have had this and it's gone away, but I had it and I didn't want to chance it doing any damage. I haven't heard of any fix except to run it on level 2 instead. If that's the fix then some aren't getting but 2/3 of what they paid for in the tuner. You can call edge and voice your concerns with them, from what I've read on this site they are aware of the issue with level 3 shudder.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:03 AM
Originally Posted by FX4_Guy
Please explain what you refer to as a miss. A few of us have a shudder caused by the TC locking and unlocking around those speeds. If this is the cause you can search for shudder and edge and see a few posts that pop up.
It feels like its dropping a cylinder, dont know any other way to discribe a miss. I will look up the transmision shudder and see if its what I got.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:55 AM

It feels like its dropping a cylinder, dont know any other way to discribe a miss. I will look up the transmision shudder and see if its what I got.
Did it do it before the edge?

Old 01-30-2007, 09:36 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Go to level 2, adjust it for the octane you are running and any other settings you want, see if it is there. Level 2 is better for every day normal driving anyhow, as you have more low end torque. level 3 is great for top end, but how often to do nee top end. Now, I use level 3 for highway driving.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
Did it do it before the edge?
No, if it did I would not be asking these questions

Old 01-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
Go to level 2, adjust it for the octane you are running and any other settings you want, see if it is there. Level 2 is better for every day normal driving anyhow, as you have more low end torque. level 3 is great for top end, but how often to do nee top end. Now, I use level 3 for highway driving.
Yeah, I have been on level two ever since I experienced the problem with level 3. I do not have the problem on level 2, only level 3.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Yeah, I have been on level two ever since I experienced the problem with level 3. I do not have the problem on level 2, only level 3.
Does your truck feel bogged down while you experience the problem with level three or does it seem like the transmission is hunting for the right gear?

Old 01-30-2007, 06:01 PM

No, if it did I would not be asking these questions
Hmmm, enlightening.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by FX4_Guy
Does your truck feel bogged down while you experience the problem with level three or does it seem like the transmission is hunting for the right gear?
No, doesn't feel bogged down at all. It also does not seem like the transmission is hunting for gears. I can be in 3rd with the converter unlocked, or in 4th with the converter locked and I feel this split second power change. Not bogging, but like a cylinder does not fire for one revolution. It's real quick..... I checked all the wires going to the coils, and no problems there. I know its only caused by level 3 on the edge power programmer, cause it does not do it on level 2 or at stock setting. I just updated the programer over the internet, and filled up with 92 octane so I will test tonight and see if there are any changes.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:59 PM

No, doesn't feel bogged down at all. It also does not seem like the transmission is hunting for gears. I can be in 3rd with the converter unlocked, or in 4th with the converter locked and I feel this split second power change. Not bogging, but like a cylinder does not fire for one revolution. It's real quick..... I checked all the wires going to the coils, and no problems there. I know its only caused by level 3 on the edge power programmer, cause it does not do it on level 2 or at stock setting. I just updated the programer over the internet, and filled up with 92 octane so I will test tonight and see if there are any changes.
It's the transmission shudder. I have it too on level 3. Lots here have reported having it. Search here and in 04-present and you'll see.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:27 PM
I have had my Edge on level 3 for about 4 months now, and have the same problem. The shudder that WE ALL have is every bit annoying. If it gets to the point where I cant take it anymore, I turn my overdrive off and it goes away. But I dont like having to run high in the RPM range just to fix it. If I wanted to ride high in RPM then I would run my edge on LVL 2. Which I dont like.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by skeeters_20
I have had my Edge on level 3 for about 4 months now, and have the same problem. The shudder that WE ALL have is every bit annoying. If it gets to the point where I cant take it anymore, I turn my overdrive off and it goes away. But I dont like having to run high in the RPM range just to fix it. If I wanted to ride high in RPM then I would run my edge on LVL 2. Which I dont like.
Yep...I have the same problem with my Edge. I think I'm gonna get the SCT Livewire when it becomes available and just try and sell my Edge.

Quick Reply: Edge Evolution 05 f150 5.4L