Can't Afford An Edge!! What Other Programmers Are There?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 01:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't Afford An Edge!! What Other Programmers Are There?

I can't afford to buy a $400 Edge programmer. Are there other programmers that are good. I've found some Diablo sport programmers and Superchip programmers on ebay for reasonable prices of less than $200. Does anyone have one, and how has it responded to your new body f150.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:41 AM
You can get the edge for about 300 shipped.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:28 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi.

You get what you pay for....

Save your money until you can afford a custom tuned Xcal2 (or Livewire, next year).

If you buy some generic 'el-cheapo' or 'canned' tuner, you will most likely regret it later on....

Old 11-28-2006, 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hi.

You get what you pay for....

Save your money until you can afford a custom tuned Xcal2 (or Livewire, next year).

If you buy some generic 'el-cheapo' or 'canned' tuner, you will most likely regret it later on....
I have the Edge and have "0" regrets. Best bang for the buck IMHO. The Edge is perfect for the everyday driver who wants some better performance. If you do not dattalog the Xcal II wouldn't that be a canned tune? If you want to squeeze out every ounce of performance then get a Xcall II.

Read this excellent review by MoJoe who had both tuners:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...66#post2043366

Last edited by Silverfish; 11-28-2006 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by Silverfish
If you do not dattalog the Xcal II wouldn't that be a canned tune?
No. it would be an incompletely optimized custom tune. Remember - these are all done from scratch. Every one.

Originally Posted by Silverfish
If you want to squeeze out every ounce of performance then get a Xcall II.
Agreed.

From The Man:

Originally Posted by Superchips_Distributor

First - in terms of which tuner to go with, it's a matter of what you are looking for - if you just want *some* improvement and don't care about getting the best driveability or the best performance & power gains, then you can use an off the shelf type of device like the Edge - we carry them in stock as well, and will meet or beat any legitimate dealer's price on them.

However, most people, especially with these heavy trucks, are really concerned with getting the best *results* - and for that, you'd want to go with or Troyer Performance tuning loaded into the XCalibrator 2 - you will get significantly more performance improvement, better driveability, better shift characteristics, and a far more thorough tune, because it's *custom* tuned - it's not "canned" - meaning the same tunes for everyone like the off the shelf types of devices all deliver - when we do our tuning, we do a set of 3 custom tunes set up for the needs & preferences of each individual vehicle owner - and we go into far more depth in the PCM's programming. In fact, we have done tuning for a couple of major manufacturers and are just now in the process of negotiating with another chipmaker to do some tuning for them on these vehicles - this is due to our expertise, as we have specialized in this platform for 15 years now, far longer than anyone else, and are well known for our results.

Now one thing to give thought to is that if you want our custom tuning, that takes a few weeks to get done for you - but we also do not charge your credit card until we are actually shipping your product, and you get a much better tune that will really wake up your truck. You can see the many people here who use our product, and they tend to rave about it - but then this is what we do, specialize in Ford F-series performance....

Old 11-28-2006, 08:46 AM
Save a little more and get a used one for around $250, well worth it. There are only 2 programers for these trucks Edge or Xcal dont waste your money on anything else. I have the Edge and love it.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:35 AM
Dont the EDGE and the MT tuned Xcal2's both claim the same HP and torque numbers? If not they're pretty close. This debate is so over done on this site it's getting ridiculous. Every fourth post in this forum turns into a debate between the two. To the original poster, I agree w/ a previous post that you get what you pay for. I had a Super Chips 1714 and I was never happy w/ it. I bought an EDGE about a month or so ago and am very happy w/ it. I'm sure the Xcal2 is a great tuner also. There's a reason why just about everyone on this site that has a tuner uses one of these two, they are both excellent products. You cnt go wrong w/ either. I'd say save up for one and watch for a deal on one of the two.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:35 AM
Here is what MoJoe had tyo say:

Originally Posted by MoJoe
Second my opinion and experience with the Edge Evolution 93 octane tune.

I purchased like everyone else did and our only option was an off the shelf Edge unit which was completely new to the market. Even though I was happy with the Xcal2, I was drawn to the on screen display, and the fit/finish of the unit. With me towing I like having at minimum a transmission fluid temperature gauge and this had that and many more parameters that could be monitored to boot. I figured the worst case scenario was the tune would be mediocre and that I could always use it for monitoring purposes while keeping the Xcal2 unit. The box arrived from a vendor mentioned here many times that had the unit for $345 I believe shipped to my door. I received the unit within 7 business days and right off the bat loaded the latest firmware and updates for the Edge unit from their website. After 5 minutes time I was setting up the pod and installing the Edge in my truck. I removed the Troyer tune a few days before I received the Edge to be ready (man I was missing my tune). After a 10 minute install from start to finish including running the cable and setting the pod up I was now Edge tuned. Again I started off with normal driving for my initial test and a few more after that to follow. Right away I felt the difference from stock to tuned once again, pretty much the same impression was given as the Xcal2 had for the out of the box feel. After a few drives I notice a difference in the transmission, an improved difference. It felt stronger than before at a comparable RPM and MPH range than it had with the Xcal2 in all 4 gears. This was after making a few changes to correct tire size (per GPS) and adjusting the timing, shifting times and shifting pressure slightly. I did not notice the difference until I began to go up inclines and around town driving (please do not forget I did not datalog or have any changes made to my Xcal2 after my purchase, which could have fixed any issues that I was now made aware of). As more time with the Edge went by, and the gauges grew on me quickly, I began to lean towards the Edge for my personal choice as a tuner. I was and still am pleased with my choice as it fits my wants and needs slightly better than the Troyer Xcal2 did. Performance feels the same and I personally could not be happier. Edge service like Troyer’s is great and very responsive. Never have I personally dealt with a “CANNED” tuner that actually works problems out with their customers and seems to care about issue. You normally only find that with custom tuners.

My personal outlook and firm believe on this entire tuning subject goes as follows. If I were tuning a forced induction, or a semi-radical to fully built vehicle that would require a custom tune and one on one dyno testing, etc., I would go with a custom tuner. Since mine is a daily driver and far from modified in my book, the “CANNED” (I do NOT like the term canned ) Edge unit in this case fits my needs by offering everything I was looking for, including vital monitoring capabilities. It just ended up being a thought free decision on my part. Many of you will view this differently, but I am 100% correct in saying these are my true un-biased reviews and experiences in a short review, and I am happy with my choice, which in the end is all that matters to me.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:23 AM
Hi.

GB - this isn't a debate, it's just freely expressed opinions & personal preferences, among folks who respectfully agree to disagree.

You wanna see some real debates, go to the Lightning forum .

Silver - yep - saw that and I concur that for his needs and other's, he made his choice. Personally, I prefer standalone gauges with sensor locations of my choosing (not a fan of the 'all your eggs in one basket' approach.). May change my mind when Livewire ships, but those display functions will be relegated to secondary, non-critical 'fun-of-it' monitoring items; the real gauges will stay on the job looking at the important stuff.

Additionally, I noted that MJ did not choose to datalog his X2 - pity, that.

Cheers
Bubba

Old 11-28-2006, 10:41 AM
Theres Superchips, but... thats more expenive i think, $400+, I'm hoping to have a Superchips soon.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:08 AM
yeah i agree that us lightning guys can get into a heated debate quickly especially if u bring up one of the big 3 tuners lol. i dont use any of them but have bought parts from jlp and psp. mike is my tuner and im happy with it. I agree with the others that u should save up and get a xcal 2 or edge whichever u want. u havnt said which year ur ride is, u might be able to get a chip if its pre 2004. i run the xcal 2 in my 03 but did have mike burn me a flip chip in my old 97 f150

Old 11-28-2006, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hi.

GB - this isn't a debate, it's just freely expressed opinions & personal preferences, among folks who respectfully agree to disagree.

Bubba
Sounds like a debate to me:

de-bate 
–noun 1. a discussion, as of a public question in an assembly, involving opposing viewpoints:

Old 11-28-2006, 12:41 PM
Save up and get the edge, I did and dont regreat it one bit

http://discountpowerparts.com/catalo...&products_id=7

Old 11-28-2006, 12:51 PM
Hi.

Precisely. If you take the definition in it's entirety, a debate involves a topic/subject/concept that both (or multiple) parties are attempting to successfully petition their position as being correct.

That, fortunately, is not the case here, as this has been decided long ago - there is already only one pre-eminent tuner sitting at the top, and most (even grudgingly) admit that to be true.

This is irrespective of which product is actually chosen, mind you, for whatever justification was used to make that choice, it was generally based upon which product was best suited for them...

Anyway, I suspect you already know what I really meant - here's to Semantics!

Hence - this is still firmly in the realm of a 'discussion'. A debate is also far more lively.

Cheers
Bubba

Last edited by MGDfan; 11-28-2006 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford1394
You can get the edge for about 300 shipped.
Where? Never seen one for about $300 anywhere, ever.

Quick Reply: Can't Afford An Edge!! What Other Programmers Are There?