Maybe Edge drained my battery?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe Edge drained my battery?????

Just this morning when I was about to head to work, my truck didnt even turnover. I was pissed$%^%*&^. Anyway, upon checking further, I found out that my battery was weak (only got 10.2 V reading). But the actual problem started Friday night, when I started the truck, my Evo went from green display with gauge readings to all pink w/o any display and the unit stayed lit after turning off the engine. I had to unplug my unit from PCM connector to shut the Evo off. I didnt start the truck until this morning (approx 2 days) since the initial incident. My guess is that the Evo drained my battery. I called Egde tech this morning and have since restore my unit and updated to version 20 for firm and 21 for calib but havent loaded to my truck yet cause fear of repeated incident. Anyone have/had similiar incident????

Old 09-18-2006, 10:51 PM
Y2K, if you unplugged the Edge how could it drain your battery?

Old 09-18-2006, 10:57 PM
After unplugging the unit, I plugged in back in once the screen went dark...but I guess it was somehow still draining the battery....I dont know. It is just very ironic that I ran into this problem (replacing my battery) shortly after odd experience with my Edge Evo.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by Y2KWHT150
After unplugging the unit, I plugged in back in once the screen went dark...but I guess it was somehow still draining the battery....I dont know. It is just very ironic that I ran into this problem (replacing my battery) shortly after odd experience with my Edge Evo.
The low voltage situation caused the evo malfunction. Replace your battery, or fix your dead alternator.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:42 PM
my evo does that sometimes as well... it is very annoying. the tune still works on the truck but the display doesnt work. At first i thought it was a heat issue where the heat made it overheat. But it has done it to me on a much cooler day...

Old 09-19-2006, 12:07 AM
Hey Yankee...

My problem isnt my screen going dark, due to cool or heat as most people experienced. It is just that It will go blank and still glow bright pink and stay on even with my key out of the ignition. I've been pulling the PCM connector to completly shut the power off the Evo unit.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by Y2KWHT150
Hey Yankee...

My problem isnt my screen going dark, due to cool or heat as most people experienced. It is just that It will go blank and still glow bright pink and stay on even with my key out of the ignition. I've been pulling the PCM connector to completly shut the power off the Evo unit.
I'm thinking about sending mine back for a refund.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:19 AM
Hey mine drained my wallett! welcome to the edge screwed me club

Old 09-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Dmoe
Hey mine drained my wallett! welcome to the edge screwed me club
Thank goodness that is a small club. Must be lonely though.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:15 PM
Much of FIMA

Old 09-19-2006, 06:24 PM
The problem with your Edge was caused by the dead/low battery like chester8420 said. not the other way around.

Read the thread "How long did your OEM battery last?" You'll find lots of people have problems with an almost brand new battery, me included. Some have the Edge, some don't.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:42 PM
Thanks Tical......you've been the most help....I feel much better after reading all the inputs that it wasnt my Edge....FYI I never had any battery problems with my previous vehicles...it is kinda weird that it happens only after 2.5 yrs/40,000 miles on it. Anyway, thanks for the link and I'll try to reload my Edge Evo this weekend.

Old 09-23-2006, 12:20 PM
well mine would also remain on after i turn the key off. The screen would go blank after startup or it would turn a solid color after start up and when I turn the truck off it would remain on as well.. as you said I pull the PCM connector and it seems to fix the problem for a little bit but eventually it will do the same later.

I dont have a battery issue.. I have a Optima Red Top battery.. So I know its not the battery that is the problem...

Old 09-23-2006, 11:40 PM
Yankee...R U still having the problem? After I replaced my OEM battery and I updated my Evo to the beta version 21 firm and 22 calib, it appears my system is better than B4. My suggestion would be to upload to new firm and calib and see if that will have fix on it.

Old 09-25-2006, 03:18 PM
well i just had an incident this morning before work...I went to start my truck and my battery was dead... I left no lights on or anything in my truck... I hadnt driven the truck since Friday and the only thing I can think of is that the Edge stay on that whole time. but I check it before I leave my truck to make sure that the picture goes away... the only thing that i can think of is that it still stayed on and drained my battery now.. I have had an optima red top installed on my truck since the day i brought it home. I recently updated the unit about a month ago so I think I am up to date... but I guess I will have to check again...

Matt

Quick Reply: Maybe Edge drained my battery?????