A few questions about programming

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 11:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few questions about programming

I just purchased a 2006 Scab XLT with the 5.4 and 3.55 limited slip rearend.

Overall I think the truck has good power but I am not happy with it's "off the line" performance or response to throttle inputs.

From reading these forums I see that programming will almost certainly solve the throttle response issue but I still have questions.

1. First of all, is there much of a difference between the 17xx (1745?) tuner and Troyer's custum tuning on an otherwise stock truck? I can see where the custom tune would help when other mods are accounted for but are there significant manufacturing variances that would help a stock vehicle benefit from it?

2. "Off the line" performance. Will I see much improvement in this area?

3. One thing I like about this truck is it's comfort. With regards to those of you that have reprogrammed your 2004+ F150's, are there any of you that are unhappy with how "hard" it shifts?

4. The 1745 claims ~30+ horsepower for the engine I have. The Air Force One intake kit claims ~25 horsepower. Are these power gains cumulative when combined?

Old 12-15-2005, 01:23 AM
I just purchased a 2006 Scab XLT with the 5.4 and 3.55 limited slip rearend.

Overall I think the truck has good power but I am not happy with it's "off the line" performance or response to throttle inputs.

From reading these forums I see that programming will almost certainly solve the throttle response issue but I still have questions.

1. First of all, is there much of a difference between the 17xx (1745?) tuner and Troyer's custum tuning on an otherwise stock truck? I can see where the custom tune would help when other mods are accounted for but are there significant manufacturing variances that would help a stock vehicle benefit from it?

theres a difference, people have posted on here that have used both and they all say custom tuned is the way to go.

2. "Off the line" performance. Will I see much improvement in this area?

I noticed a HUGE difference in of the line improvement on my truck, it roars off the line up until i get worried about a ticket

3. One thing I like about this truck is it's comfort. With regards to those of you that have reprogrammed your 2004+ F150's, are there any of you that are unhappy with how "hard" it shifts?

Hard shifts are only noticeable at full throttle as far as ive notice which is where you want them, you down get it with normal driving.

4. The 1745 claims ~30+ horsepower for the engine I have. The Air Force One intake kit claims ~25 horsepower. Are these power gains cumulative when combined?

From what i understand if you have a AF1 and a custom tune like myself, they'll stack together, Mike will get the best performance out of your truck.

If i could do it over again i'd get the AF1 and a Troyer custom tuned xcal2.. and i recommend it to anyone who wants to wake their truck up.. the tuner alone i.m.o. and others is the best bang for your buck, i've never done a mod to one of my trucks that was as noticable as that tuner.. although i havent gotten up to a supercharger yet

Last edited by rawzon; 12-15-2005 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:35 AM
custome tune is the way to go and troyer's the guy to do you'll love the results ...money well spent...exhaust and intake bring it all together...

Old 12-15-2005, 08:20 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi Aaron, & welcome.

The Search features & filters on this board are your friends. I heartily recommend you use them, okay? All your questions have already been answered here many times.

Plus - I'm gettin' old, and I type chitty anyways...

And - yes, I recommend Troyer Performance as your one-stop custom tuning shop - there is a vast and well documented difference between the canned tuners and Mike's custom tuning. Do a Search on 'dyno days' and you'll find that info. The AF1 is also the top dog w.r.t. intakes.

Best of luck, nice truck.

Cheers
Grog

Old 12-15-2005, 08:45 AM
Custom tune is the way to go, it really wakes up these trucks.

Old 12-15-2005, 08:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a 04 Screw with a 3:55 rear gear and TP’s custom tuned XCal2 did the trick for me. IMO it’s the only way to go

quick story
A few weeks ago, I found myself lined up at a red light with a Silverado. We eyeballed each other a little and when the light turned green we both took off normal, then he floored it and so did I. I cleaned his clock no problem, but in the process, I made a huge discovery; at approximately a 5 to 10mph roll when I jump on it, I break the tires loose big time; surprised the heck out of me but it was great. Now that’s my thing, slow roll then bang

Old 12-16-2005, 12:36 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
HI ArronJ,

We just recently did a Dyno Day testing session, where we dyno'd both a 2004 and a 2005 F-150 in stock trim,, then loaded the appropriate Superchips Inc standard tuner for each vehicle and dyno'd them, and the last, WE custom tuned each vehicle and dyno'd them - and we blew away those other tuners, by a wide margin - it wasn't even close.

For example, the 1745 claims 30+ HP and 70 lb/ft. of torque - hogwash, the best it could ever do was 19 HP and 30 lb./ft. of torque - period. We blew it away handily, gaining almost twice as much horsepower and a bit over twice as much torque as the 1745 claimed - and that was just at the peak, in all the areas "under the curve," we blew them away even worse. And by the way, we are Superchips Inc's oldest WD in America, nobody knows more about those products than we do - so we sell them, too, and they do a fine job for the guy who wants the cheapest possible tuning and does not care about getting the best results. And if you want to go that route, cal us & you get our special F-150 Online member discount. But that is not the way to go if you want the best results, by far.

Second - you are way off in your peak HP gain claims of the AF1 - neither the manufacturer nor we have ever claimed a 25 HP PEAK gain for the AF1 - what we have told everyone here literally hundreds of times is that at 2000 rpm, the AF1 makes 20 more HP at the rear wheels, at 3000 rpm, there is 25 more HP at the rear wheels on the 2004 & up 5.4 3V F-150 - now the actual PEAK gain, which occurs at **5000 rpm**, is about 10 HP from the AF1, which is still far more than any other intake kit on the market has made in our direct dyno testing. The point being, don't confuse the numbers, nobody can make 25 more PEAK hp from ANY kind of air intake tract modification on a 5.4 3V F-150.

The bottom line is simple - the AF1 makes more torque and HP at any throttle position, and at any rpm, than any other intake kit, and THAT is really the key here.

Now please don't take offense to the way I say things, I just type like I think, which is very directly, as I tend to be a very shoot-from-the-hip kinda guy, so that people get the straight scoop - and sometimes that can comes off differently than how I hear it in my head, OK?

Now on to your most important question (in my opinion) - are these gains truly CUMULATIVE?

Well, some are and some are NOT - but in the case of our custom tuning and the Air Force One intake kit, YES, they most certainly are cumulative.
It's an EXCELLENT question to ask, because some mods are cumulative, where others simply are not - that is one of the most important and classic age-old hot-roding questions, so I'm delighted you're really doing your homework on this - good for you!

The bottom line is, we recommend doing your performance mods in the order of the best bang for the buck - and the order of best bang for the buck is first, our Troyer Performance custom tuning, as we have specialized in performance tuning the F-150 platform longer than anyone else - 14 years - and it shows in our results, as you can clearly see in hundreds of posts here on these boards. So our tuning would come first.

Second wold be the Air Force One intake kit, and I STRONGLY recommend doing those 2 mods at the same time, as there are some tuning changes we want to make with any aftermarket intake kit, so it's easiest to do that at the same time, And even more importantly, we are running a Christmas special on the custom tuning & AF1 combo for the 2004 & up F-150 - so at the risk of sounding like a pure sales-dude, that is what I would recommend to maximize your bang for the buck value, and actually end up with the largest improvement to performance at any throttle position and at any RPM, for the lest amount of money.

Third would be a proper cat back exhaust,m and you can get all of these Top 3 best bang for the buck mods in our Troyer Performance Stage 1 package, for example.

But if you are looking to get started inexpensively and get the very best bang for the buck for the lowest cost, go with our custom tuning & AF1 combo deal.

I hope this info helps you a bit, and please do feel free to give us a call if you'd like to go over any of this in more detail, OK?

Thanks for your post, & Merry Christmas!

Old 12-16-2005, 02:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Superchips_Distributor
HI ArronJ,

Second - you are way off in your peak HP gain claims of the AF1 - neither the manufacturer nor we have ever claimed a 25 HP PEAK gain for the AF1 - what we have told everyone here literally hundreds of times is that at 2000 rpm, the AF1 makes 20 more HP at the rear wheels, at 3000 rpm, there is 25 more HP at the rear wheels on the 2004 & up 5.4 3V F-150 - now the actual PEAK gain, which occurs at **5000 rpm**, is about 10 HP from the AF1, which is still far more than any other intake kit on the market has made in our direct dyno testing. The point being, don't confuse the numbers, nobody can make 25 more PEAK hp from ANY kind of air intake tract modification on a 5.4 3V F-150.
Mike, I took no offense your post but we need to get something straight right now. I said absolutely nothing about PEAK gains. You won't even find the word in my post. As for the numbers I used, they came from here.

The relevant portion is: "Power gains from this kit are approximately 25 HP at the rear wheels on the 3-valve 5.4L V8 motors at just 3000 rpm!"

Frankly I have no idea why you felt the need to claim that I said something that I didn't say. I hope it was just a misunderstanding.

Like some of your posts, my post may have sounded more harshly than it was intended but simply put, I don't like people putting words in my mouth any more than you do.

Moving on, I do plan on calling you about your custom tuning and I appreciate that you took the time to respond personally to my post.

Last edited by Aaron_j; 12-16-2005 at 02:24 PM.

Quick Reply: A few questions about programming