Adding intake and higher octane gas, do I need new tunes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding intake and higher octane gas, do I need new tunes?

Thanks to Mr. Troyer, today I now have a working Xcal 2 (I had one of the trucks with the no start problem). Thanks for all your hard work taking care of this issue. I must say that the truck runs much nicer now.

Question I have is that I ordered the tuner with 91-octane tunes for basically a stock truck. I since have found a station with 93-octane gas in my area (figures). I also have a AF1 on order from Troyer. Would there be any benefit for me to order some new tunes for these changes, or any changes I can make myself in the SCT software for my current tunes?

Sometime in the future I will also be getting a Magnaflow exhaust. Would it be better to wait for that addition before I get new tunes, if I need them at all?

Bryce

Old 06-27-2005, 06:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I’m almost positive you don’t need your tunes tweaked for the addition of an Airforce-One or Magnaflow exhaust and I assume you can use 93-octane with a 91-octane custom tune. I base this assumption on the fact that in the instructions for the Superchips “Max” Micro Tuner, it says to use (91 thru 94 octane) with premium gas performance tunes.

Old 06-27-2005, 09:31 AM
I have the AF1 and a dual exhaust (not magnaflow). I was told when I ordered my Xcal I could use it as is while still awaiting the arrival of the AF1. Meaning the install of the AF1 does not affect the tunes.

Also you can run the higher octane with a lower octane tune. When we were discussing my 87 tow tune I was told I could use 87 and up, and would see a bit better performance using 93 octane with the 87 tune.

Right now I'm using 94Ultra octane with a 93 performance tune, Mike said it's more than OK to do that

Just dont reverse it and use 87 octane with a 91 tune

Old 06-27-2005, 03:40 PM
My main concern is, would a tune designed for 93 octane gas (and intake/exhaust) give me any more preformance over the 91 tunes that I have. I want to be able to get the best performance out of my truck with the mods/gas that I have.

Thanks for the responses guys,
Bryce

Old 06-27-2005, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by bleppek
My main concern is, would a tune designed for 93 octane gas (and intake/exhaust) give me any more preformance over the 91 tunes that I have. I want to be able to get the best performance out of my truck with the mods/gas that I have.

Thanks for the responses guys,
Bryce
I would have to say that there is more power to be had if you have Mike tune it for the 93 octane. Give him a call and he will explain it to you better than I can here...2 points of octane will allow for some tweeking....

Old 06-30-2005, 05:51 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi bleppek,

Good to hear you're up & running!

Actually, for some time now we have been setting all the 91 octane tunes up so that they will automatically respond to 93 octane with more power, so that is not a problem, you do *not* need to have another tune done to get the most out of 93 octane.

This is something we are able to do and have been doing for some time now, that has changed from the way it used to be 5 years ago when we first started tuning for Marc Carpenter, or example - all our customers that we have tuned in the past couple of years, for example, have that type of setup in their 91 octane tunes.

So no sweat, pour in the 93 and you *will* get more power as compared to using 91 - not enough to feel in the seat of the pants most likely, as it's a heavy truck - but it *will* make more power automatically on the 93 octane and not require re-tuning to get the full benefit from 93 octane, trust me.

Old 06-30-2005, 06:01 PM
"I DIDN'T KNOW THAT"!!
Or maybe you did tell me and I just forgot or something Mikey Mike..
My appologizies bleppek

Old 07-01-2005, 12:57 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Marc,

Don't worry about it my friend, as that has changed over the years we've been tuning your vehicles - we've been tuning you for a long time now, probably 5+ years and during that time we have continually refined and are always searching for ways to make further improvements - in this case, talking about 91 octane tunes, we didn't' always do what we do now with them, that has changed over the years we've been tuning your vehicles, for example.

Another point too, is that in your case, we usually do a KILL mode 94 octane Program 3 for you, and that type of program does indeed make more power on 94 octane than say, even our current 91 octane tuning will if you dump 94 in the tank. That is because there are some additional things I do when I know you are going to have access to that great Sunoco Ultra 94 octane that I can't do in a 91 octane tune.

Speaking of high octane fuels, in my 800 mile drive back from Florida last night, I stopped in a little town in South Carolina to fill up at a Citgo station and they had 100 octane unleaded gas right there at every pump - I was curious, so I then checked every Citgo station in town that was still open, and every one had it available - that was at about 3 am or so - I wanted to stop and reflash the truck I was so jazzed, but then remembered it was 3 am and I better things to do, especially the fact that I "had miles to go before I sleeeepppp......."

So it's really just a matter of some things that have changed over all the years we've been tuning those numerous vehicles of yours, combined with the fact that in your case, we're usually KILL mode tuning for 94 octane on the MAX performance tune for you.

Everything's fine, no sweat!

Quick Reply: Adding intake and higher octane gas, do I need new tunes?