And the chip is being sent back :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2001, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face And the chip is being sent back :(

Yep, Mike check your email.
Dad talked with a buddy of his and told him the Chip voids warranty, is illegal and if you have engine problems your warranty is done. He went to school on this (races cars) I showed him Mikes posts, but kind of made it convincing to me that even if somethign did happen, like the engine blew, were hanging in the air.

Help me find somethign convincful to say to him so it doesnt, and no this isnt a joke.

Old 05-15-2001, 05:42 PM
Unhappy

Fast5.4Triton,
This topic has come up several times since I've been here. The Superchip DOES NOT VOID THE WARRENTY! There are a few threads from last month that went over this. You might think something like a computer chip would void the warranty, it dosn't though. I was all worried about this for a while myself.
Warranties don't work that way. You don't void an entire warranty by adding one part.
The best thing to do would be to go to the Sema web site at www.enjoytheride.com. They have an entire section about warranties.
You might want to go back and check out what was said the last time this issue came up here.
You can rightfuly have the Superchip in your truck. Don't send ot back. You've got to see what it can do!
I'm sure Mike will reassure you. I've seen him do ot many times before.
I think the SEMA site should give you what you need to do the convincing.
Good luck!
Tom

Old 05-15-2001, 06:03 PM
Its not me who needs convincing, its him. His god dang friend told him false information.

Old 05-15-2001, 07:28 PM
I think a good idea would be to call your service advisor at FORD. I think if you call and ask he/she would say, go for it, just take it out before you bring the truck in for service.
We can say that the chip doesn't void the warranty all day long, but those are just words.

[This message has been edited by ELKTAGAZ (edited 05-15-2001).]

Old 05-15-2001, 07:50 PM
Thumbs up

Believe me FAST, the chip WILL NOT void warranty. I thought the same thing till I talked to Ford. FORD knows about these chips. Don't you think they put their two cents in on these chips. They know what will work and what won't. Have your dad talk to Ford himself and find out. It would be a shame to send back a perfectly good mod. The only bad thing that could happen with the chip would be human installation error. Hope you get to keep your chip FAST. I'll be watching to see how you make out. Good luck.

Old 05-15-2001, 07:57 PM
What if we call and they say "It voids the warranty and you'll screw your truck"

Then it will definitly go back

Old 05-15-2001, 08:17 PM
Unhappy

Then you bring up th Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. It's the law, they cannot deny warranty coverage unless they can prove that the Suprechip caused the problem. Like F-150 Ram Air said problems resulting from a Superchip would most likely be from installation error. The chip cannot directly cause a mechanical failure. Mike is the expert on this, but there is the law to protect you. Don't send the chip back yet. You will get this situation resolved.

Tom

Old 05-15-2001, 08:23 PM
FAST,

I,d call just to save face. I would imagine not all Ford dealers are the same. That's what my Ford dealer told me. If something did happen. Not saying it would. Ford would have to prove without a reasonable doubt that the chip was the cause.I don't know what else to tell you. I know how much you want this chip. Again, good luck. Do what you feel is right. It's not worth getting into an argument with the pa. I'f you know what I mean.

Old 05-15-2001, 09:20 PM
Hi Fast544

Its real easy to get caught up in all this mod. stuff so just remember......

Bottom line, gotta go with whats right for you. Reason it through. Pros & Cons.

I use superchip (flip chip) well satisfied, Just reread old threads, then do whats right for you. Yep, im still underwarranty.

Good luck. OT

Old 05-15-2001, 09:36 PM
Cool

Hey Fast.. Odds are, the local service department will never see your chip in most repair cases. The best has already been said actually...Just pull it out before you go for service if it makes you feel better. I've had a few repairs (sorry to admit)and never has a word been said about warranty issues in the 2 years I've had the chip, and I've got a pretty obvious mod under the hood! Rest assured.

------------------
1999 F250 LD 5.4 4x4 Lariat Supercab. White & Silver
WynJammer SC, Super chip, 4" lift, dual exhaust, K&N, Winch, F-1 Hood, Billet grill, GPS, 01L-Headlights, Inyati, Daytona Topper, Saffari Rack w/OffRoad lights. ...And a lot of other stuff ...OK!?! Is that enough? Am I in?

(4.11 gears go in in two weeks!...Giggle

[This message has been edited by wynjammer (edited 05-15-2001).]

Old 05-16-2001, 01:42 AM
The guy went to school and races cars and just why does this make him a warranty expert on Fords?

Call the dealer yourself and talk to the servie manager. You don't even have to identify yourself. Just ask if installing the chip will void the warranty.

Old 05-16-2001, 08:39 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Fast,

The Dealer can deny you warranty work for any reason he feels is justified. You can then take up the issue with the law and hire a lawyer or whatever and fight the issue. This may be what your father wished to avoid.
My local dealer will no longer warranty my 8.8 inch differential because of the Mods on my truck. By my estimate I surpass the power of a 5.4. Given this and the fact that Ford installs stronger 9.75 rears in the 5.4 engined models I would not have a chance. Same goes for my tranny. So in some instances the dealer could be justified.

Kindest regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
SEE us play;
http://www.F150world.com/michapter/
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd 3.55LSD
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks, MAC 8.8 Axle Girdle
BFG 285/75 R16 MTs,
Borla Cat Back, Hedman Headers,
Custom air intake system with modified
air box, Ported Throttle body,
Shortened MAF sensor tower,
K&N air filter,
Superchips

Old 05-16-2001, 02:31 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Some days I hate what I have to do, and this is certainly one of them, as everyone will soon see...........

"Fast's" father called us this morning (or perhaps at this point I should say, someone claiming to be Fast's father called us), and informed me that "Fast" is only 14 years old! He owns no vehicle to put a Superchip in, these F-150's he's been bragging about the past couple of years here are not owned or driven by him at all. They belong to his father, Fast himself is too young to drive. According to his father, Fast somehow got access to and used his father's credit card and ordered this product under his father's name, completely without his father's knowledge or permission, and *that* is the issue here, according to his father. Sheesh!

Oh, what a tangled web, eh? That old saying sounds very appropriate here at this moment.

We have not yet decided what action we're going to take, his father told me that he is a police officer and that he has written us a letter. Frankly, at this point we are going to have to investigate to determine just exactly what the real truth behind all of this actually is, and then determine the action we will take.

Just when you think you've seen it all................

My personal apologies to all, for this having to be played out here on the message boards of F-150 Online.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 05-16-2001).]

Old 05-16-2001, 02:46 PM
I knew this day would come.

Sorry everyone, I just thought I could fit in. Unlike at school, where I get teased for my fathers profession, I felt like I belonged here. Now I just lost what meant the most to me.

Mike,

What can I say? Guess I shouldnt have re-registered here, it would have saved all this grief.

Bye all,

another reason why life isnt so important to me anymore.

Old 05-16-2001, 02:51 PM
This should work better. But, whats the point. Mike may want me banned. Its been nice all.

Quick Reply: And the chip is being sent back :(