engine stalling with Chip?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2001, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post engine stalling with Chip?

installed superchip in 97f1504.6l. Did the test drive and engine dies at stops. Didn't notice any increased acceleration or shift firmness? Took the chip out, engine runs fine, doesn't die. Anybody got any ideas?
PLeae help
Mike

Old 04-30-2001, 09:04 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Mike,

Is the lip on the bracket that the PCM mounts to interfearing with the proper seating of the chip? This can cause it to wiggle loose. Are the contacts clean? If none of these are the problem I would suggest you contact Mike Troyer via e-mail or telephone and explain exactly what is happening.

------------------
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd 3.55LSD
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks, MAC 8.8 Axle Girdle
BFG 285/75 R16 MTs,
Borla Cat Back, Hedman Headers,
Custom air intake system with modified
air box, Ported Throttle body,
Shortened MAF sensor tower,
K&N air filter,
Superchips

Old 04-30-2001, 02:39 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Road Rash, (Mike)

There is an obvious problem here, most likely a simple installation issue, that's what it is 98% of the time.

As JMC correctly pointed out, if you have the "lip" or "tab" on the mounting bracket for the computer that we mention in our Performance Products documentation, that can and will cause those exact same symptoms.

I would suggest that you follow your Performance Products instructions, which point out the potential issues including that "tab" as well as other items and have a specific troubleshooting section, but also clearly ask you to PLEASE CALL US anytime you have a problem, so we can help you as quickly as possible. We also mention in that documentation that should you need to reach us over the weekend, simply leave us a voicemail and we'll return the call over the weekend.

Please, call us for your Tech Support, so we can give you the assistance you need as quickly as possible, so you can properly enjoy your Superchip like everyone else!

This should be pretty easy to take care of Mike, so just give us a call, ok?

We hope to speak with you soon,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 04-30-2001).]

Old 04-30-2001, 05:49 PM
Get ALL the goop off the contacts...try a small eyeglass screwdriver then use the scotchbrite pad included. Clean all debris with rubbing alcohol on a Qtip. Just went through the same problem today

------------------
2000 Red #1554/4966
1st time ever at track:
Byron, IL 4/8/01
14.03 at 97.45 mph
full street dress, tonno and FULL tank of gas

JDM street chip
no track time YET

Old 04-30-2001, 05:56 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks all
I'll give ya a call mike.

I'm helping my brother-inlaw do this. I already did it to my lightning. Yes I modified the PCM bracket and cleaned the contacts as well as I did on my truck.
thanks again for the suggestions
Mike

Old 05-01-2001, 02:52 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Road Rash,

Thanks for your response.

Scott called us this morning, so we had a good chance to go over everything with him, and found that the vehicle had only been driven a few miles, which is not nearly enough time for the relearn cycle to get everything squared away again on that vehicle. Usually this only takes about 20 miles for things like idle speed & quality, but in this particular vehicle, Scott says it takes longer, like 50-75 miles or so, and that is entirely possible. Not common, but certainly possible, we've seen that before in some F-150's, usually the '97's.

He also made us aware that you guys did in fact have that "tab" on the mounting bracket, and that it was properly dealt with during the initial installation.

He also let us know that when he removed the Superchip, the truck was doing the same thing, stalling upon deceleration, etc., so it's obviously not the Superchip causing that. It sounds to me like instead of being an installation issue, that it's simply a matter of the relearn cycle the ECU goes thru anytime you change it's program and clear it's power, along with using el-cheapo premium gas.

So we've gone over everything, and what he's going to do is to run that tank of crappy cheap premium gas out of it, and then fill it back up with some good Amoco gas available there in that area, and let us know what happens after the relearn cycle completes again after re-installation.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 05-01-2001, 06:22 PM
Thanks Mike for the help. Sometimes it's hard to be in the middle of this. I'm glad Scott called ya.
Mike

Old 05-02-2001, 03:53 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Mike,

Yep, I know all about that one! Being in the middle can be tough with just about anything.

I'm sure Scott will be just fine once the relearn cycle is complete and he gets that crappy gas out of there.

Have fun,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 05-02-2001).]

Quick Reply: engine stalling with Chip?