mike

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2001, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post mike

I noticed my truck still runs the same even if I put 87 in. Is the 87 I've benn getting just as good as the 93 I've got? I've got gas at 3 different places and it still runs the same. I got more power when I installed the chip but I heard that it will run rough if I use 87.

------------------
1997 XLT Teal 4.6L Flareside 4x4 ORP. Automatic, Reg. cab, 3.55LS, tinted windows, bug deflector, Dual exhaust, K&N Generation 2 air filter, BullDog keyless entry/remote start, Modern 16" wheels, bedliner, Covercraft tonneau cover, White faced gauges, electronic shift on the fly, Clarion ADX5655z Double Din Cassette & CD, 4 Pioneer TS-A6865 speakers and superchip.

Future mods: Supercharger, headers, NOS, tranny upgrade(heavy duty gears, clutch packs, etc.), performance torque converter, composite driveshaft, bore cylinders 30 over, new pistons, crank, and rods, get performance heads or port the ones I have, gauges for the a-pillar, new L if they still make them and I like the way it looks, and a Z06 Vette or BMW Z3.

Click here to see more pictures

Old 05-02-2001, 04:06 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi King James,

Well, I think it's probably just a matter of perception, as there is no way premium gas is going to give the same result as 87 octane in the single-program Superchip.

Now if you use cheap premium gas, that can cause you to not get the full normal power gain you should from the Superchip, but there is no way it's ever going to have the same power output on 87 octane as it has on 92 or 93 octane with the Superchip.

Because of the use of screen names here, I don't know who you are at the moment, so I can't look up your file, but in case you have the single-program Superchip, please don't try running the single-program Superchip on anything less than a high-quality 91 octane, it really needs 92 or better to make it's rated gains, and to protect your engine against detonation from using a too-low octane fuel.

It is possible in some of these trucks, if their knock sensor system just happens to have enough effective compensation range, for you to run it down to 87 octane with the Superchip and not get *audible* detonation. That does not in any way mean it's OK to use it like that, it's not.

One thing to remember is that even when you try to use it improperly, meaning use the Superchip with anything less than 92 octane, it's still removing all the transitional delays and retards, so it's still going to run better than stock acceleration-wise, but it's never going to do what it's capable of doing until you have a high-quality 92+ octane gasoline in the tank.

Running one tank or even two tanks of a brand or octane level thru doesn't make a big *immediate* change, as you have dilution of the incoming fuel from the fuel that is still in the vehicle. When the low fuel light comes on, you have anywhere from a minimum of 3.5 to as many as 6 gallons of gas left in the system, and that will somewhat dilute the incoming fuel.

The only way you can safely use 87 octane gas with a Superchip is if you have our 2-program Superchip Flip Chip, configured with an 87 & 92 octane combination of programs; the single-program Superchip will always require the use of high-quality premium gas.

Good luck!
------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 05-02-2001).]

Quick Reply: mike