Can someone call me a tow truck?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2001, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Can someone call me a tow truck?

I installed my Superchip yesterday in 2001 S-Crew Lariat 4x2 with 5.4L after driving a friends 99 F-150 and here is how it went for me.

It was pretty simple to locate, remove, clean and install the unit where the s-chip goes. On my first 'throw of the dice' I got the big 'NO START'.

Lucky for me, I was at the shop where the guy did the programming, so he re-programmed the S-chip, verified the terminal post was cleaned (he even did some cleaning himself). We reinstalled the s-chip and got the same result. The Big NO START. Bummer!

So, the shop I was at, told me they would have to check with S-Chip,inc to see if they could figure what the problem is. So, we pulled out the chip. Re-connected the battery. That caused my S-Screw to have to ‘relearn’. We went through the relearn procedure in the Ford manual. Now, I get the unpleasant chore to drive my ill-tuned S-crew the required 10 miles to complete the relearn process. I drove about 50 miles and the S-crew never performed like I knew it could.

I disconnected the battery again, with the hopes my S-crew would relearn and perform like I know it can. As I was driving it the required miles for relearn process, it seems like my S-crew was starting to correct itself. I decided to drive some more and while I enjoying the rumble of my Flowmaster 40s, I heard a 'click' and the engine died and I coasted to a bus stop and did just that. I stopped. Everything stopped. My brand new S-crew (less than 300 miles) would not start. Can you say: “Call me a tow truck”?

Now, while I ride in my Kia (rental car) instead of my hot F-150 S-Crew and feeling like the biggest clown on the block to try this 'hit-or-miss' technology on my new truck.

They say "No Pain. No Gain." Well, I got plenty of pain and no gain and a Kia to boot (not to mention a big dose of humility) from the S-Chip. I don't even know what went wrong. The installation is not clear-cut at all. It feels like a lottery. I wasn't lucky enough to get my truck to start.

Maybe I just need some reassurance from others that this thing will work for me. Honestly, I’ve lost my stomach to try the S-chip again. Would you?

Old 03-03-2001, 10:01 PM
No way would I try it again! But I'll take it off your hands for 10 bucks

Old 03-03-2001, 10:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't give up!

The first time I installed my Superchip (the one Mike Troyer sells on here)..it ran fine all day the Saturday I installed it. Could not be more happy with how the truck ran. The next morning I went out to crank it..and no start. First thought was that the PATS key had failed. I tried again..no start...and I thought how nice. Then I had a thought..I pushed on the Superchip and it started right up.

What had happened for me is that the mounting bracket had pushed on the Superchip...despite a careful install and using duct tape to hold it in place. I removed the Superchip and bracket..and redid the install again. I flattened the edge of the bracket and never had a problem after that.

On my current truck..I removed the computer bracket during the first install and flattened the edge...just to make sure I did not have a problem. Again, no problem to date (4,000 miles on the chip).

So don't give up..the Superchip works and there are hundreds of members on this site alone that use them. Not sure what brand you have now, but if it continues to give you trouble, try another brand. Contact Mike Troyer who sells the Superchip brand (in the computer chip section). He will make sure you are taken care of.

Good luck!

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Superchip, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55 rear, class III towing package with super engine cooling/auxiliary transmission cooling HD package, Heavy duty shocks, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, FORD bedliner, FORD black tubular cab steps, K&N air filter, mar-hyde rubberized undercoating, Modine climate filtration system, Bugflector II, Mobil 1 oil, build 7/2000

Old 03-04-2001, 12:40 AM
Thumbs up

Hmm, "The installation is not clear-cut at all. It feels like a lottery". You must not have ordered it from Mike. It's very clear and detailed.

Sounds like an install problem. Not clean enough, or (Hope not) cleaned too much.

My install went great. I also took quite a bit of time to clean the connector very well, taking care not to take it too far.

As for the relearn process, hmm, I would think it would take more than 10 miles. And it'a always modifying for changes in fuel driving habits etc.

I didn't feel like I felt "everything" until about 1000 miles after the last mod (Exhaust)

I say take a step back and got for it again. It's worth it.

------------------
2000 EDDIE BAUER EXPEDITION 4x2
-->Come share my Addiction<--

Old 03-04-2001, 10:47 AM
I also had the 'no start' problem on my '99. This required soldering a small jumper on the computer circuit board, which was a minor hassle. If you were paying someone to install the chip, they should have known!

For me, the chip was well worth the trouble!

Good luck getting yours sorted out.
------------------
1999 XLT S/C, 4.2 V-6, auto, 3.55 rear, dark torreador red/harvest gold, Ford bed liner

Clarion ARX8570z Head Unit, Sony 10 disc CD, Infinity 610cs components & JBL GTO7520 speakers; USAcousitcs 4065 amp and Polk 8" subwoofer

Edelbrock IAS, Energy Suspension anti-sway bar bushings, Steeda Rear Anti-sway bar, 2" rear drop.

Superchip, Airaid FIPK, Flex-a-Lite Black Magic electric fan

[This message has been edited by dirt bike dave (edited 03-04-2001).]

Old 03-04-2001, 01:19 PM
Nice try 2000Lariat. Keep saving those cereal box tops and you might get you one too. :-)

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2000Lariat:
No way would I try it again! But I'll take it off your hands for 10 bucks </font>

[This message has been edited by big_rod (edited 03-04-2001).]

Old 03-04-2001, 01:41 PM
I went to the shop that was referred by SuperChips, Inc. from their website. I didn't want to play the mail order game. It's obvious the technician who worked on my S-Crew was 'green', but the whole S-chip thing gets the black-eye when that happens. It's a thing about 'first impressions'.

Because I have more money than time, does anyone know someone in Northern California (near the silicon valley) that has a clue about how to install this s-chip CORRECTLY. So far, it's been a big waste of my time and money to install the s-chip.
I am going to warn the members of my RV Club about the problems I've had.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dustoff:
Don't give up!

The first time I installed my Superchip (the one Mike Troyer sells on here)..it ran fine all day the Saturday I installed it. Could not be more happy with how the truck ran. The next morning I went out to crank it..and no start. First thought was that the PATS key had failed. I tried again..no start...and I thought how nice. Then I had a thought..I pushed on the Superchip and it started right up.

What had happened for me is that the mounting bracket had pushed on the Superchip...despite a careful install and using duct tape to hold it in place. I removed the Superchip and bracket..and redid the install again. I flattened the edge of the bracket and never had a problem after that.

On my current truck..I removed the computer bracket during the first install and flattened the edge...just to make sure I did not have a problem. Again, no problem to date (4,000 miles on the chip).

So don't give up..the Superchip works and there are hundreds of members on this site alone that use them. Not sure what brand you have now, but if it continues to give you trouble, try another brand. Contact Mike Troyer who sells the Superchip brand (in the computer chip section). He will make sure you are taken care of.

Good luck!

</font>

[This message has been edited by big_rod (edited 03-04-2001).]

Old 03-04-2001, 06:38 PM
YOU ARE A TOW TRUCK!

Old 03-04-2001, 09:29 PM
Cute! I was waiting to see if there someone corny enough to bite that line. I did manage to get your shallow attention to the problem I experienced.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Y2K 7700 4x4:
YOU ARE A TOW TRUCK!

</font>

Old 03-04-2001, 09:40 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by big_rod:
Cute! I was waiting to see if there was someone corny enough to bite that line. I did manage to get your 'shallow' attention to the problem I experienced.

</font>

Old 03-04-2001, 10:18 PM
Thumbs down

You're a really funny guy, big_rod. I'm laughing real hard. People are attempting to assist you and you give them a bad time.

Guess it takes all kinds.

[This message has been edited by HarleyGuy (edited 03-05-2001).]

Old 03-04-2001, 10:37 PM
Thumbs up

I have to agree with HarleyGuy. Although I know it would chap my a$$ to go through what you have. However, if you've decided to have someone else install the chip for you, and you're getting nothing but problems, maybe try it yourself, It's really not that hard or time consuming. Lot's of people would lend an ehand so tp speak; via this board. If you do decide to do it yourself, I'm sure one of us could scan or fax the instructions that you get when you order from Mike Troyer and send them to you. They're very detailed.

As for the referal from the SuperChip website, it may not do you much good, but I would contact them and at least let them know what you've experienced at one of the dealers they refer to. Heck, they might even step in and lend a hand depending on their dealer agreement.

------------------
2000 EDDIE BAUER EXPEDITION 4x2
--&gt;Come share my Addiction&lt;--

Old 03-05-2001, 02:58 AM
Cool

You should have bought it from Mike Troyer. Give him a call I bet he will know what's wrong.

Old 03-05-2001, 08:45 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HarleyGuy:
You're a really funny guy, big_rod. I'm laughing real hard. People are attempting to assist you and you give them a bad time.

Takes all kinds.
</font>
It could be our fault (atleast mine and Y2K 7700 4X4). Big Rod is frustrated and maybe he hasn't been around long enough to understand the F150Online humor. Just hate to see what happens when Raoul posts

Old 03-05-2001, 09:49 AM
Smile

Yep, you're right, 2000Lariot. I went back and "smiley-faced" my other message.

Welcome, big_rod!

Quick Reply: Can someone call me a tow truck?