I want it, but can I install it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2001, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink I want it, but can I install it?

I think I have decided to go ahead and get the chip, but how hard is the installation. Plese be honest, I am not vey good under the hood. People say it is easy to install a FIPK and it took me over an hour to get my Airaid on. I couldn't even do it by myself, I needed a friend to help.

Is it really worth it to put one of these on a V6? I drive about 30,000 miles a year and that is a big increase in gas cost if I don't get better MPG or horsepower. Thanks dudes.

Old 03-20-2001, 09:47 PM
Hi WhiteRider,

If you follow the instructions that come with the Chip (as well as the excellent additional instructions provided by Mike Troyer) you should have no problem installing it yourself. Two very general words of advice: (1) take your time to clean the contacts well (2) remove the battery and battery tray (it will lower the frustration level of getting the computer out). If you don't try to rush it, I believe you will have good success.

Regarding whether or not it is worth it... I would say yes (very enthusiastically I might add)

While I have the V8, the feedback I have read with the V6 is also very postive. It just makes the overall driving experience more pleasurable.

Good luck

Old 03-20-2001, 11:08 PM
Thumbs up

WhiteRider,

If you own a socket wrench and an 10mm socket for the computer to wire harness disconnect (1 bolt) , 5/16 wrench for the 2 battery cable removal (2 bolts) and a 1/2 inch socket for the battery tray removal (4 bolts), a flat head screwdriver and some tape (electrical or duct), you could be done installing the chip in 30-45 minutes depending on your skill with these tools and fear level

It was cake and ice cream to do. 7 bolts to remove (and put back on) and some "plastic gel" to remove/scrap off the computer end connector the Superchip connects to and you are done (in a nutshell anyway...). Ford seems to put a soft plastic coating over the contacts to the computer where add-on hardware/boards such as the Superchip would connect to it. The plasic coating just needs to be removed to allow the electrical contact to the Superchip. The computer connetion (a male end connector) kinda looks like a daugherboard in your PC... the Superchip has the (female end connector) just like a motherboard "slot".

The Superchip does add power and improved shifting. My truck is NOT now a rocket with the Superchip but it does feel like it has more pull, better/quicker shifting and faster throtle response.

The only gripe I have is that there is no light or positive test to tell you that the Superchip is installed properly and working 100%... (I was left wondering if ALL contacts were clean and still do somewhat since I do not know for sure is I would get partial Superchip activation is some/most contacts were clean and I missed a few.... Mike T?) I had to go by how the truck performed to know if it was working or not. I also electrical taped my Superchip to the computer housing box. The Superchip connects to the computer through an opening in the computer housing box inside the truck. Hitting a strong bump could possibly dis-lodge the chip from the computer so taping it in place is recommended (I wish it clipped in place... Anyone listening? time for a small enginering change. ).

------------------
2001 F-150 Supercrew 4X4 Lariat
Solid Black
5.4L Triton(TM) V8
LT Grey Leather Captain's Chairs
Electronic AM/FM Premium Stereo
Cassette and 6-Disc CD Changer
Trailer Tow Group, Class III
3.55 Limited Slip Axle
Bed Extender
Cab Steps
Skid Plates
and Front License Plate Bracket

Mods: Full Metal Jacket (Ployurea Based) Spray-in Bed Liner. Its Awesome!
Info here: http://www.specialty-products.com/PDF/polyurea/FMJ.pdf
Superchip
Ford Bugshield

Pictures of the Baby!!!

[This message has been edited by SCrewBall (edited 03-20-2001).]

Old 03-21-2001, 12:04 AM
SCrewBall,
Good post. I have been looking at the superchips and the diablo chip. I see that the Diablo chip is housed inside the computer box. Unlike the superchips that is mostly outside the box. I had the superchips YSL2 on my last truck, I was always reaching up under the dash pushing on the chip, even though I had it duct taped,.. making sure it was in tight, I never new if I was getting the full effect.

Old 03-21-2001, 09:04 AM
All,

Unless I am mistaken (which, according to my wife, happens often ), I believe that if there is any problem with the install of the chip itself (contacts not completely clean, not completely seated, etc) the truck will not start. So as long as your truck starts and runs, the chip is installed properly.

As far as mine goes, I have never had a problem with it slipping out -- two small pieces of duck tape did the trick. I have read that there is a clip on some trucks that may interfere with proper seating (searching previous posts will provide more detail here along with the solution).

Regards

Old 03-21-2001, 01:21 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi WhiteRider & Guys,

First, as long as the vehicle starts with the Superchip installed, it's working. To answer SCrewball's question, it is not possible for the Superchip to work partially, or only do part of it's job, it's all or nothing, so as long as the vehicle starts and appears to run correctly, the Superchip is working.

Second, it's pretty easy to install, easy enough that just over 98% of our customers do the installation themselves. If you can read and follow instructions, you can install the Superchip. We write a lot of additional documentation in addition to what the manufacturer provides, just for the purpose of making sure a first-time installer can do this with no surprises. I can't speak to the quality of the documentation with the Airaid kit you were not able to install WhiteRider, but I can tell you that I can't imagine anyone not being able to do the installation with our documentation, except in an extreme case, for example, if someone has some kind of physical handicap that would prevent them from doing anything like this.

All that having been said, there will always be a few people who just feel more comfortable letting someone else do the installation for them, which is fine. For anyone in that situation, we're happy to speak with whoever is going to do the installation for them, about any questions they may have, etc.

To answer Screwballs other comment about wanting us to do a re-design, that isn't in the cards, as it cannot be implemented across the board, due to all the variances in actual dimensions of these Ford computers, to say nothing of all the differences in where they are mounted and how they are mounted in all the different various Ford vehicles, etc. The external module design that Superchips invented for these Fords, and that most of the rest of the atermarket uses as well, is time-tested and field-proven, but like anything else, it requires proper installation on each different vehicle type. As long as the Superchip is installed properly as we describe in our highly detailed documentation, and I've personally done this so many times I can't remember, there will be no problems such as a chip coming loose from the computer. With the information we include, just about anyone can install it correctly. Our concern is making sure that the same design will work on all Ford computers, that is first and foremost, as you never know what exact dimensions a particular vehicle's computer will have until you get it out and examine it. Yes, they all appear basically identical upon cursory examination, but when you look closely, there are many small variances that add up and are a factor that must be dealt with. We also don't want anything "hidden" inside the computer, as it's a risk to put more parts inside that ECU, and we also do not want to have a situation where a service technician attempts to work with the computer, to get it's code, flash it, retrieve error codes, whatever, etc., and doesn't know the chip is installed. The technician needs to know that the chip is in place (we advise removing them prior to service for this reason, and it's very easy, taking maybe 30-60 seconds), as it can and will cause complications if the technician doesn't know that it's there. So for any number of reasons, we need to continue using this same design, so that it works on all the various Ford vehicles, not just one model, and is apparent when someone sees the outside of the ECU.

We do not recommend using electrical tape or duct tape (the manufacturer's instructions used to say to use duct tape, and some of them still say that!), though you can certainly use either one, usually with no problems. We just feel that electrical tape has a relatively low adhesion level and retracts a bit in cold weather, and duct tape can leave a nasty residue behind when removed, so over the years, we've developed our technique to give what we feel are the best results from both an appearance and a reliability standpoint.

Like anything else in life, everyone has different opinions and ideas, it would be a boring world if we all agreed on everything, that's what makes the world go 'round. Thanks for your comments gentlemen!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 03-21-2001).]

Old 03-21-2001, 01:48 PM
WhiteRider, embarrassed to say, I really do burn toast on a consistent basis, so I have no business coming around any machinery (I am quite serious here).
However; in this particular scenario, I was able to do the installation, following verbatim the SuperChips and addendum Performance Products sends and it was a breeze. So much so, I got more confident and installed a K&N FIPK. To tell the truth, I had much more trouble with the FIPK than I ever did with the chip upgrade.
I am now banned from my engine compartment on orders from Ford. Apparently, they got wind of me pulling the hood release and installed alarms preventing any possible harm. Good move.

All kidding aside. VERY easy!

------------------
'99 Ford F-150 Lariat, 4WD, SCab, ORP, LS/3.73, Tow Pkg, 5.4L
* Superchip
* K&N FIPK GEN II
'99 Chrysler 300M, PHP, Sunroof, Premium Infinity, 3.5L
* Borla Cat-Bak
* K&N Filtercharger
www.atlantagamerz.com
www.f150online.com
www.300mclub.org

Old 03-21-2001, 09:11 PM
Thumbs up

Mike,

Thanks for the reassurance. I was looking for a "testing the chip" section in the docs and couldn't find it... Knowing about the all or nothing part helps settle my mind.. I was dead sure I clean the contacts on the easy to see/reach side but guessed a little on the "tight" side where there was a 1/4" opening to reach in and remove the conformal coating... I used a tiny screw driver and wrapped the small ScotchBrite around the tip and rubbed until I saw the tin leads started to look scuffed. I guess it worked since I can tell the difference in the ride.

The install was as I wrote "was a piece of cake". Your additional documentaion was most helpful and I am pretty satisfied with it so far.

About redesign point, I did not know there were different size computer housings and thought a clip (like the one that is there for the housing) might help. Oh well, tape works My chip does not sit tight... I know it is connected and ends up flush with the computer housing but a light push/tap (not a tug) on the outside of the chip will dislodge it so I taped it place with electrical tape (I did not have any Scotch tape in the house and made due with electrical tape for now...).

------------------
2001 F-150 Supercrew 4X4 Lariat
Solid Black
5.4L Triton(TM) V8
LT Grey Leather Captain's Chairs
Electronic AM/FM Premium Stereo
Cassette and 6-Disc CD Changer
Trailer Tow Group, Class III
3.55 Limited Slip Axle
Bed Extender
Cab Steps
Skid Plates
and Front License Plate Bracket

Mods: Full Metal Jacket (Ployurea Based) Spray-in Bed Liner. Its Awesome!
Info here: http://www.specialty-products.com/PDF/polyurea/FMJ.pdf

Pictures of the Baby!!!

Old 03-22-2001, 11:17 AM
Whiterider if i can install the chip anyone can and i did. Of course it took me a couple of hours to do it(anyone else could do it in 30 mins). Nothing hard about it if you read and follow the instructions from Mike especially about the cleaning of the chip.
take my word for it you can do it.

as you see i have an airaid fipk on my f-150 my friend put it on for me but the superchip i did myself. so your way better then i am at installing--go for it!
------------------
2001 F-150 4X4 Supercab
XLT 139" WB style side
5.4L V8 4-SPD AUTO O/D
3.55 LIMITED SLIP AXLE
6500# GVWR PACKAGE
17" ALUM WHEELS
OFF ROAD 4X4 EQUIP GROUP
TOW GROUP CLASS III
SLIDING REAR WINDOW
FORD BED LINER
FORD BUG SHIELD
FORD STEPS

MODS:
AIRAID FIPK
SUPERCHIP(FLIP CHIP)
ROLL & LOCK TONNEAU

[This message has been edited by Predator1 (edited 03-22-2001).]

Old 03-22-2001, 11:50 AM
Former Sponsor
Hi Murfster,

Thanks for the laughs, banned from under the hood & alarms when it's opened, that's too funny!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 03-22-2001, 10:10 PM
Angry

JUST BE CAREFULL YOU DON'T BEND ONE OF THE PINS IN THE END OF THE ECU PUT IT BACK IN VERY CAREFULLY!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
2000 f150 5.4 triton v8
extcab with 8 foot bed
custom superchip
k&n genII kit
granatelli mass air 80mm
ravin class 55 muffler
3in 2-2.5 mandrel bent out the back
3in stainless steel tips
bug flector bug guard
gps tail light covers
gps vent sheilds
off road package

Old 03-23-2001, 12:02 AM
Former Sponsor
Hi SCrewball,

Hmmm, from what you just described about how tight it is to clean the bottom side of that connector, it sounds like you didn't take the cover off the computer to gain better access to the bottom side of the connector. In your case you apparently got it clean, but if you ever have a no-start or a stall, you'll want to pull it back out and take the cover off so you can go back over those contacts on the bottom side of the connector with plenty of room to work. We have seen cases where people got them clean enough to run for anywhere from a day to as long as a year or more, and then one day have a no-start, and find it's because there was still a little bit more conformal coating on the bottom side of the connector that over time, migrated just a tad to where it could stop the connection.

All that having been said, I have to confess that I have done the same thing on a lot of them myself, as over the years I've developed my technique so that on many of them, I can get the connector properly clean without removing the cover. In fact, we used to say that in our additional Performance Products documentation! But because we do see variances in dimensions from time to time, we feel it's always best for first-time installers to remove the cover so they'll have plenty of room to work on both sides of that connector, so we changed our documentation some time back, but of course this is up to each person to decide.

Using the electrical tape is probably fine, and shouldn't cause you any problems. Our recommendation to use clear desktop Scotch tape just comes from years of doing this & refining the process, trying to give our customers the best looking and performing results. That doesn't mean you can't get a good result doing it like you've done, using what you had on hand, so don't worry about it unless you start having problems.

All in all, it sounds like everything worked out just fine with your installation, and that's what counts!

Have fun,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 03-22-2001).]

Old 03-23-2001, 12:14 AM
WhiteRider,

If ~I~ can do it, ANYONE can do it. The biggest issue you'll face is the trepidation of whether you can actually do it or not.

The simple answer is that you can. It takes about 45 minutes and just follow the directions and take your time.

You'd be surprised at just how easy this intall really is.

Old 03-23-2001, 03:47 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi fst5.4,

That's a good point. The wiring harness connector is "keyed", so it can only go on one way, it cannot be put on upside down, for example. Just check that, and watch when you slide it back on, and you won't have a problem, it's pretty easy.

We've had a couple of custoemrs who have done that over the years, but they were always able to straighten the pin back out and re-attach the harness with no further problems.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: I want it, but can I install it?