Superchip Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2001, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Superchip Install

I am ready to purchase and install a Superchip and would like to know how difficult is the install. I have a 5.4L Supercrew computer code UAT3. At the Superchip site it states my vehicles computer is under the hood on the drivers side "inside" the firewall. Can I get to it? Has anyone else done a chip install on a 5.4L 2wd Supercrew that can offer some help and direction. Also, on a scale of 1 to 10 how would you rate the difference in pull and acceleration with the chip? How did it effect gas mileage? Thanks!
BTW, I am having 2" drop shackles and a Granatelli MAS installed today!

------------------
2001 F150 SuperCrew Lariat, 5.4L, Black and Gold
60/40 Front Seat, Sliding Rear Window, Side Steps, 6 Disc CD Changer, 3.55 Limited Slip, Class III Trailer Group
Line-X Spray-in Liner
Retrax Roll Top Cover
Mods to come:
Drop the rear, Superchip, Gibson Swept Side, AirForce

Old 01-24-2001, 11:23 AM
The chip is so easy to install, a Jewish docta/lawya/cpa could do it...lol...Mike will help on this one...Mark...aka sundayniagara@hotmail.com

Old 01-24-2001, 02:07 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi SuperCrewzer,

The Superchip installation is very straightforward, it's a sealed module that has a female data slot on the back of it, that simply mates to the corresponding male connector on the back of the Ford computer. For the first time installation, you'll need to remove the computer from the vehicle to properly clean the connector.

The computer location you described is only for the 1996 & earlier F-150's, for all 1997 & newer F-150's the computer is located on the passenger side, to the right of the dash and just above the passenger's kick panel, it's very easy to get to.

If you'd like to go over the installation in detail, please feel free to give us a call, and we'll be happy to go over that and any other details with you.

One other thing is that those Granatelli MAF's, like virtually all aftermarket mass airflow meters today made for stock injector sizing, lean out the A/F ratio rather dangerously, by 1.5-2.0 full points, so you will need a custom program to compensate for it. There is no power gain from that unit as a result of airflow, as the engine simply can't make use any more airflow capacity over ewat the factory MAF can provide until it's heavily modified, such as with a supercharger, nitrous oxide, etc. It may feel a little bit "peppier" when you first install it, that is just a result of the leaning out of the A/F ratio bringing up power a bit as always happens when you lean out the A/F, but that must be corrected for so that you're not running around too lean. The leaner you run it the more power you'll make until you start hurting parts, so it's somewhat deceptive in that it feels stronger when you put it on, but the A/F ratios must be corrected for to protect the motor. Don't get me wrong, they're great parts, you just have to realize the effect on the vehicle and when it's most appropriate to use them to get a real power gain from the increase in airflow capacity, that's all. Superchips has had many F-150's on the dyno checking the A/F ratios in real-time with that Granatelli and all the other aftermarket brands of MAF's on them, and so we know what they do to the A/F ratios, and what must be done to correct them.

In terms of what the Superchip is going to do for your truck, it's going to feel like you just picked up about 10%-12% more motor, is one way to put it, as you're basically going to be making about 10%-12% more power.

There are plenty of people here who have installed the Superchip in their F-150's, including Super Crews and they are no different in terms of doing the installation, it's basically the same for all F-150's from 1997 & up.

Congratulations on your new truck, looks like you're getting it fixed up the way you want it pretty quickly!

Have fun,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 01-24-2001).]

Old 01-24-2001, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the info!
Mike - I just returned from having the shackles and Granatelli Mass Air Flow Sensor installed. Your info makes it sound like I just wasted $300 on the MAF. Sounds like when I install the Superchip, the recalibration will negate any positive effect the MAF would have had on hp. Is that tru. You are right by the way. My vehicle definitely felt peppier and I was happy with the result and assumed it would improve even more once the Ford computer adjusted for the change. I was happy that is until I read your email.
What do you suggest?

------------------
60/40 Front Seat, Sliding Rear Window, Side Steps, 6 Disc CD Changer, 3.55 Limited Slip, Class III Trailer Group
Line-X Spray-in Liner
Retrax Roll Top Cover
Mods to come:
Drop the rear, Superchip, Gibson Swept Side, AirForce

Old 01-24-2001, 03:37 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi SuperCrewser,

Please understand that it is not my intention to make you feel you wasted that $300, we just let people know what we see on the dyno, A/F ratios, etc., so you'll know. The only thing that matters is whether or not you are happy with your results.

And who knows, you may do enough modifications to that vehicle over it's lifetime that installing the MAF will have been a great investment, it's far too early to know just exactly what all you'll end up doing to the vehicle, at least, that's what I think. The aftermarket MAF's are great parts, you just need to realize the effect on the vehicle, that's all. The power gain you are feeling right now after installing the MAF comes from one thing, and one thing only, the leaning out of the A/F ratio. If you didn't do any other changes at all, that might be OK if you don't notice any detonation, or "pinging", commonly referred to as spark knock.

However, it's clear that you also want to do the Superchip, open up the intake air tract and do a cat-back exhaust, all of which are excellent power-gainers, and all of those things will lean out the A/F ratio even further, so it's going to have to be compensated for in a custom program in the Superchip, that's all. If you did the intake & exhaust changes but not the MAF, you wouldn't need a custom program, but with the MAF, it's a must.

So don't be disappointed, just know that you will need a custom program in the Superchip in this case, that's all.

If you'd like to go over this, just give us a call and we can cover all of this, etc.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 01-24-2001, 04:10 PM
Mike - Thanks for the info. Just wanted to know whether or not I should return the MAF since I am definitely ordering the chip (In fact I just did.) As long as the Chip and MAF will work together, I gain something from adding the MAF, and I'm not hurting the engine, I'm happy.
When should I begin burning high octane fuel in anticipation of receiving and installing the chip?

------------------
Line-X Spray-in Liner
Retrax Roll Top Cover
Granatelli MAF
Bell Tech 2" Drop Shackles
Mods to come:
Superchip, Corsa Exhaust, Front Air Dam w/ Fogs, K&N Air Filter

Old 01-24-2001, 08:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SuperCrewzer,

I see you have the same code as my truck. I am a firm believer that the Superchip is a solid, worthwhile investment for pull/acceleration. I have not kept track of fuel economy yet...still breaking in the motor. Many owners have reported a nice 1-2 mpg gain with a Superchip. (others a slight drop from all of the "Superfooting"..I still have this problem once in a while.

Also, you will really like the improved shifting the chip offers! Well worth the investment!

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Superchip, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55 rear, class III towing package with super engine cooling/auxiliary transmission cooling HD package, Heavy duty shocks, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, FORD bedliner, FORD black tubular cab steps, K&N air filter, mar-hyde rubberized undercoating, Modine climate filtration system, Bugflector II, Mobil 1 oil, build 7/2000

Old 01-24-2001, 08:12 PM
Hmm, Im gonna bug my dad to order one for the upcoming baby

------------------
Former fast46triton
2001 Ford F150 XLT Supercab, Silver, 5.4l Triton V8

Old 01-25-2001, 09:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fast...you will enjoy it!

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Superchip, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55 rear, class III towing package with super engine cooling/auxiliary transmission cooling HD package, Heavy duty shocks, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, FORD bedliner, FORD black tubular cab steps, K&N air filter, mar-hyde rubberized undercoating, Modine climate filtration system, Bugflector II, Mobil 1 oil, build 7/2000

Old 01-25-2001, 11:53 PM
Thumbs up

Well after a very buisy holiday season and a mounth after, I finally got my chip in.Only had it since November!!!It definatly was worth the money, as it is totaly imposible to keep the one wheel wonder from burnning the tires at even a slow launch. I can get 2nd gear rubber with the auto trans.Now I am after a certain Jeep with a soon to be frowning punk behind the wheel. I was able to stay with him after adding the AIRRAID an K&N, but still could not pass him. But now will be a big surprise for him.
Just wish the gas prices would come down, I just paid $1.85 for 92 octaine
Thanks, Benny

Old 01-26-2001, 12:13 AM
Former Sponsor
Hi SuperCrewzer,

You want to run your current tank of gas as low as possible, at least until the fuel light comes on, and then fill it up with premium. Never "top off" a partial tank of regular with premium, that just dilutes the premium, so run it down low and then fill up with premium.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 01-26-2001, 11:43 AM
Former Sponsor
Hi Benny,

Don't feel alone, there have been a number of people who delayed installation due to the severe weather in many places across the country this year. I really feel sorry for all those people in Arkansas that were without power for weeks!

Glad to see you got enough of a break in the weather to get yours installed and start enjoying it.

Good luck with that certain Jeep!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: Superchip Install