best premium gas in California

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2000, 03:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post best premium gas in California

Just interested as to what brand of premium gas all of my fellow Californians are using with you Superchip. I have heard that there is better performance with certain brands of gas. The chip is being installed tomorrow so please advise. Thanks.

Old 12-23-2000, 02:17 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi drcarrillo,

Just to let you know what kind of feedback we hear back from our California customers, usually California customers prefer Chevron 92 octane out there. It depends on just what brands you have access to in your area of course, as the nomal better brands like Texaco, Amoco & Citgo are sometimes not available in a lot of areas out your way. Chevron generally gets good comments more often than not. Shell hasn't garnered good results like it has here in the East, where it's been an excellent fuel.

Hopefully we'll get some California users to get you some more direct feedback, good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 12-23-2000, 11:08 PM
I use Chevron 92.

------------------
2000 F150 XLT SuperCab, Short Bed, 4X4, ORP, 5.4L, Auto Trans, 3.55LS, Captains Chairs with power drivers seat, rear slider, class III towing package, remote entry with alarm and just about everything you can get on this truck. Added a Ford bug deflecter, floor mats, a Dynamax Race magnum muffler and 3" mandrel bent pipes, Superchip, K&N FIPK Gen II, Bilstein shocks, Redline Synthetic oil, Kenwood stereo system and an MTX Thunder 204 4 channel amp.

Old 12-24-2000, 03:45 PM
Cool

Texaco & chevron
ive tried the rest they all suck..

------------------
F150 97 4.6 v8 longbed
K&N Air filter
Hyper White xenon bulbs
Bedliner and Shell
6 disc cd changer

Old 12-24-2000, 09:02 PM
I've been using Texaco lately because of other people on this list recomending it. BUT the switch was when they switched to the oxegenated stuff so nothing worth mentioning as far as power feel.

------------------
99 Expedition XLT
5.4L
4X4
3.73LS
17"AT/S
Airaid Intake
Superchip
Custom Edlebrock shocks
Dynomax Super Turbo 3"
Helwig Sway Arm
Polk speakers

Old 01-01-2001, 02:40 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Whiteflight,

You have a valid point in that California's fuel brands availability varies quite a bit, some brands you can get in Northern California you cannot get in Southern California, etc. We get that in other states too, but more so it seems out there.

You're right about Unocal being the sole supplier of racing gas for NASCAR Winston Cup, and perhaps other classes too, I don't know, but certainly the "big boys". That doesn't necessarily mean that their pump gas formulations are automatically better than another brand, but I think you're also right in that we could certainly use more feedback on Union 76, as well as some other brands, to see just what results people are currently getting. Add to that the fact that formulations are changing so much in recent years, and throughout the course of each year, that it starts getting really tough to quantify, it's a bit of a moving target, so to speak. We need to get feedback all throughout the year, each season, to see what if any changes seem to come from seasonal formulation changes, etc.

The best we can hope for it seems is the feedback we get right here on F-150 Online from all the people all over the country.

As far as actually getting numbers on energy content, which is expressed in terms of the # of BTU's per lb. or per gallon of gasoline, that's tough to get, most oil companies consider that to be proprietary information of course, and consequently won't release any info like that; and the precise energy content is always going to vary a bit from one refinery run to the next. Since we'll never get those exact specs on #@ of BTU's, etc., about the best we can do is to consistently track gas mileage every tank, to observe variances and to evaluate other fuels by way of comparison, say a few tanks of each, etc.

If you're getting good results on Union 76 pump fuels, then let us know if you're currently using it, and how it seems to be compared to other fuels you've been using, etc.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 01-02-2001, 12:13 AM
Question

What about 76, they are becoming more and more prevailant in So.Cal, but I haven't seen any posts about them. They are a major nacsar sponsor and them boys make some hp. I started using it when I used to ride motorcycles they would run better on 76 than they would on Shell,Chevron or Arco. Is there any info available as to the energy content of the fuels on the west coast? All the posts I've read deal with brands we don't have at all out here.

------------------
'97 F150 4.6L XL WHITE,FLEETSIDE R/C L/B, LEER SHELL W/FISHING POLE RACK, BED MAT,LIMMITED SLIP,245/75/16 DESERT DOGS ON POLISHED ALUM, WHEELS.
AIRAID, 3" CAT BACK OUT THE SIDE w/MAGNAFLOW MUFFER

Old 01-10-2001, 04:09 PM
Question

Nobody else has any input on this subject?

------------------
'97 F150 4.6L XL WHITE,FLEETSIDE R/C L/B, LEER SHELL W/FISHING POLE RACK, BED MAT,LIMMITED SLIP,245/75/16 DESERT DOGS ON POLISHED ALUM, WHEELS.
AIRAID, 3" CAT BACK OUT THE SIDE w/MAGNAFLOW MUFFER

Old 01-10-2001, 04:33 PM
I have had my chip for almost a week now and have used only Chevron premium. The improvement with the chip are very noticeble. I may experiment with other gas companies, and if so I will post any results.

Robert

Quick Reply: best premium gas in California