Shift Points

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2001, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shift Points

I have what I hope is a very simple question for those of you running a superchip with an automatic transmission. What do the new shift points feel like? Now that I have my intake and exhaust, the truck makes good low end power, pretty much snaps from first gear to second, and then just kind of slides into drive. I would like that to be stiffened up. Will the superchip do this? I also like the idea of having a little more power, but the shift points and removing the rev limiter are what I'm mainley after. Thanks.

Lok

------------------
1997 F-150 Supercab 4X4,Royal Blue,4.6 V-8, Tow Package,3.55 LS,
K&N FIPK,Performance Accessories 3" body lift,
Gibson Supertruck Exhaust,Smitty Nerf Bars,
265/75-16 Wild Country Traction Radials,
Alpine CD,Alpine 5 Channel Amp,PPI 5 X 7's,
Boston 10" Sub

Old 01-10-2001, 02:01 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Lok,

I know you're looking for responses directly from others using the Superchip, but I thought I'd respond with a bit of info for you.

The automatic transmission shift characteristics are changed quite a bit in the Superchip; not only is line pressure increased, but the upshift delays and downshift delays, as well as transitional spark retards are also removed, and the end result of those changes is a noticeably crisper and tighter upshift, and a more direct connection between your right foot and the powertrain. The way it's calibrated is such that when you are driving conservatively, light throttle & light load, the shifts are still smooth & fluid, then as you give it progressively more throttle opening, the upshifts get progressively firmer in response.

You'll notice on the 1-2 upshift for example, that the truck will leap ahead pretty good where it didn't before, as the spark retard used to reduce engine power is removed, in addition to being quicker, tighter & firmer. As each progressive gear change executes (2-3 & then 3-4), more and more line pressure is needed with any automatic transmission to give a good positive upshift feel due to vehicle velocity.

I'm sure you'll get the resposnes you're looking for from Superchip owners, and if you'd like to go over this in greater detail, feel free to give us a shout.

Best of luck with your truck,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 01-10-2001, 02:11 PM
Suspended For Violation of Vendor Rules
Thumbs up

I've had my chip in for two days now and boy does it make a difference!

like mike said, the upshifts are more fluid and smooth when using acceleration that does not go above 2k rpm, it so fluid from 1st to 2nd that i cant even feel a loss of acceleration at all when before the chip i did. BUT... when i hammer the gas i can feel a good increase in the shift timing and 2-3 is hard and 3-4 is even harder. this is the best mod i've gotten for my truck. although i would like to have a extremely hard shift that the chip does not get close to, close but not close... so i'm going to get a level 10 shift kit added on.

definetly get the chip... btw, i drive a v6

Old 01-10-2001, 05:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The first to second shift is worth the price alone. It doesn't feel like you have a rubber driveshaft anymore ,,,,98

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
Yokahama AVS/ST's
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Westin nerfs blk .powdercoat
Clear front corners
Stillen Quad light air dam, sweet!!
Euro taillights
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
[b]Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
Viper alarm
On the way/wheels,tires, etc..etc.......
the monochromatic boogie is done,cool!.
Come see my new pictures@ www.my-f150.com

officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

WOW,what a cool site!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!

Old 01-10-2001, 06:55 PM
Lok N Load,

I replied to you in my post about getting my Gibson.

Anyway, I did things in a different order than you did. My exhaust is last, chip was 2nd, one day after Airaid. I was looking at your sig to see if you'd chipped it yet and saw you hadn't. I say, h3ll yes man, chip it and chip it quick! If you like what you're feeling from the mod's you've done so far, then the chip will be orgasmic for you!! That maynot be a real word but you get what I'm saying. I agree with everyone else that's posted, the shift mprovement alone is great. I noticed mine as I pulled out of my driveway and turned the corner in front of my house at very slow conservative speeds. And oh ya, there's that extra power you'll feel too ;-)

------------------
2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition 4x2
Estate Green
5.4 ltr
3:55 LS rear
Tow Package
Superchip
Airaid FIPK
Rear Load Leveling
Moonroof
Century Child Seat!
Gibson S/S Swept Side Finally Arrived 1/9!!

Old 01-11-2001, 04:10 AM
Thumbs up

OK, you convinced me. I ordered my chip today (well, yesterday technically). Thanks to everybody for your responses and Mike, I'll call you later this morning. By the way, what is the turn around time from the time I order to the time I get it? Thanks again.

Lok

------------------
1997 F-150 Supercab 4X4,Royal Blue,4.6 V-8, Tow Package,3.55 LS,
K&N FIPK,Performance Accessories 3" body lift,
Gibson Supertruck Exhaust,Smitty Nerf Bars,
265/75-16 Wild Country Traction Radials,
Alpine CD,Alpine 5 Channel Amp,PPI 5 X 7's,
Boston 10" Sub

Old 01-11-2001, 11:24 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Lok,

Turnaround time is basically as quick as you want it delivered in most cases. If you use our online ordering system, as long as the order is in by about 2pm to 3pm Eastern time, they generally ship the same day (weekends excluded of course), as we have most codes already done. So then it's just a matter of what method you choose for us to ship it by, meaning UPS Ground, 3-day, 2-day, or even overnight service. Or, you can call us directly at our number listed below if you prefer, whatever is more convenient for you.

Basically, as long as we're not doing a custom program for major mechanical modifications like superchargers, etc., most of the various computer codes for these vehicles we already have done, so they generally ship the same day, depending on what time your order is received.

From the looks of your signature line, you've got a nice truck there!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Quick Reply: Shift Points