4.2 Chipped? Worth The $$

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2000, 03:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think some people should just chill. I love my truck. I received it as a graduation present. If I had my way I would have bought a V8, mainly for exhaust sound purposes. Anyway, I think it is possible for a V6 with the right mods to beat a 5.4L. For instance, look at HotRodSix, he runs in the low sixteens. I'm pretty sure if he couldn't beat a 5.4 he sure would make the guy work for it. Point is, it can be done. Some people do it for the challenge, some do it out of necessity. Although I disagree with the V8/V6 battle here, I don't believe that the mods Bill described give there full advertised performance. That is why they always say up to 25hp. They always advertise the best case scenario to get you to buy it. I don't believe my K&N gave me a 5hp gain but it seems to run more efficiently at highway speeds and it never has to be replaced. My truck is slow but its still fun and I'll race anything and probably lose but hey, its fun. https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/000045.html
P.S. My friend has a 99 5.4 Lariat Supercab 4x4, I'll see if I can race him on the 28th and I'll let you know how much difference stock V6 vs. V8 are.

------------------
99 F150 ext cab, XLT, 4.2L V6, short bed, K&N filter, best 1/4 mile to date: 18.371 @ 77.00mph

Last edited by Cr1028; 02-19-2016 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-16-2000, 08:34 AM
Hey guys,

There is a fellow here that has not posted for some time.

He has a '99 RC V-6 Sport model I believe and did some minor mods such as 4.10 gears and at least a Superchip to name a few. He has posted times of about 16.2 @ 84+ mph. These times would give a stock 5.4 all they want and I wouldn't knowingly touch him with a 10 ft. pole!

So, don't be too sure a little V-6 set up such as this is not capable of giving a 5.4 all they want in the 1/4 mile and them some.

------------------
Dunbarton "The Middle Aged Kid" '99 XLT SC SB 4x2 4.6 auto 3.55 ls The occasional Z-71 Eater! Wedgewood & Denim, SuperChipped, Airaid FIPK, HD electrical and cooling, power seat, Rhino Liner, Extang Classic tonneau cover, Mobil 1. Man, I got it all! (New Jersey)

Old 04-16-2000, 10:28 AM
Cool

Hi Bill, I'm not saying they are lying about HP gains but I've read that you can't just add HP like that. I'm not a pro engine builder not even novice so I hope someone will be able to shed some light. We have pro builders around here, so I ask can we just add the HP ratings on the boxes to our stock 205HP and say thats what I've got?

I wish I could find the article on perfomance mods but it laughed at us guys just buying a bunch of performance products and thinking we gained (Exhaust 15Hp + K&N 10Hp + Superchip 25Hp + Fuel additives 2Hp + 9mm spark wires 5Hp + Special spark plugs 10Hp = I got a 277Hp engine). This is how I ended up telling everyone that I had a 260Hp 301 V8 Firebird at the flywheel.

But the article could be wrong. I believe the Superchip gives +25Hp on the V6 because of the tests. I guess the only way to find out is to get a dyno test done. But who has the cash to do that?

I hope I didn't insult you Bill, its not what I intend to do. When I'm done with my truck (superchip & 4.10s) I'll race you 54 but you'll have to learn french and come up to queeeeeebec Canada.

Old 04-16-2000, 02:04 PM
You guys know this wouldnt be a war if I werent in it

Ok, lets get started.

A 99' F150 Supercab 4x4, 5.4l, 3;55 gears dynos 210hp. Real numbers. Lets put that into our calculators for now and push the memory button. Put in 207hp. Hit equals. Wait...lets start all over.

The only way to find out is to race!!! IMHO, the 4.2l wont *beat* the 5.4l, chipped or not. But I hope you guys know I can take on either one of you

BTW, I just raced a 94' Chevy CK 1500, Ext Cab, 4x2, 305, and put over 1 and a half lengths on him.

------------------
Fast46Triton ®

1999 Fast46triton Edition® Ford F150 XLT Supercab, Shortbed, 4x2, 4 wheel disc brakes/4 wheel Anti-Lock Brakes, Cloth Seats, Amazon green, 16" All season tires, Soft Tonneau Cover, CD Player, 4.6 liter Triton V8, 3:55 ls, towing package, 4 speed auto, K&N Airfilter
0-60 time of 8.2 seconds!
Email me at fast46triton@yahoo.com

Old 04-16-2000, 02:54 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally, I too, think we need to perhaps try to tone down just a bit of the heat in this argument. Just re-reading my posts in this topic can easily explain the rather wide variances we see in all of the various configurations of the F-150.

No, I'm not here to defend any one particular claim or situation, but there certainly are circumstances in which a 4.2 V-6 can outrun a 5.4 V-8. And there are also circumstsnces under which a 5.4 of a particular configuration just flat is not going to be beat by anything less than another 5.4 V-8.

There are stock 5.4's that are 235 hp stock (97 & 98 F-150), and then the 99 & later 260 5.4. COmbined with all the weight differences between short cabs, super cabs, long boxes, short boxes, 4X2, 4x4, and on and on and on, that we have, over the past year and a half or so, seen virtually all manner of results here.

Most of the people in this tread have also been here long enough to have seen these differences posted time after time. For those that have not, it's an interesting thread, personal stuff aside of course.

I hope this calms down just a bit, we're all "friends" here, so let's just live & learn from experience, and all get along, please?

Our bests to all,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Online Superchip ordering system:https://www.f150online.com/scpp/index.html

Old 04-16-2000, 04:52 PM
Question

I'd be a little interested to know how much towing 54regcab has done and how much towing he's done with the Honda minivan. Do you have a receiver hitch on your minivan? I've only towed up to 4,000 pounds with my 4.2L/5 speed on several occasions and cruised at a paltry 75 mph on the interstate with that load (16.3 and 16.8 mpg last two times I've checked). If your minivan is able to do better, I might think about getting one. It sounds rather impressive. Is it possible to get one wired for a stock trailer? I think a minivan that's capable of out-towing a full size pickup would be an ideal all around vehicle, since it's able to carry several passengers in relative comfort and get good fuel economy. Have you been able to tow very many trailers of varying weights with vehicles having 4, 6, and 8 cylinder engines and automatic and standard shift transmissions so as to make some comparisons? What's the heaviest load you've towed to date? Any notes and actual experiences would be interesting to read. Is your minivan stock or have you made any adjustments or modifications? Does Superchips offer anything for Honda minivans? I'd like to know before I jump out and spend any money on my V6, because they're having a good sale at a local Honda dealer right now. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-16-2000, 05:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

I've towed a '89 Labaron with ease.
Didn't even know it was back there.
Also have hauled 2000lbs in the bed at times.
Still, very little performance loss.
That low end torque really pulls through as any 5.4L owner will tell you.
As for the Honda, why would I want to put a hitch on it when I have an F150?
To be honest with you I feel as the Honda wouldn't take kindly to towing though.
I was simply comparing ratings.
Bill wanted #'s so I gave them to him.
In the REAL WORLD the V6 F150 would out-tow the Honda just as a 5.4L would blow his chipped 4.2L away (same configuration)
However, the new Honda vans do come with a 205HP V6 and are rated for 5000lbs towing.
A nice option in todays word of high gas prices.
Also I hate to say it but they do ride much better than F150s or any other truck.
Handling is better too.(stock vs stock)
As nice as the new ones are, I wouldn't recommend towing with a car or minivan due to the way the suspension and brakes are set up.

Old 04-16-2000, 05:41 PM
Question

So would you say those numbers are primarily for reference, rather than actual cases? Like I said, I've towed only a mere 4,000 pounds (sometimes more) with my 4.2L/5 speed and managed 75 mph on the interstate and have achieved 16.3 and 16.8 mpg under load. Have you towed with any 4, 6, or 8 cylinder pickups and with any automatic or standard shift setups and compared? I was not aware that these pickups were used for racing purposes (aside from the Lightning). A tractor can knock a house down, but can't run to beat even a kid on a skate board.

Old 04-16-2000, 05:54 PM
Unhappy

YAWNNNNN..... Is this getting old to anyone else? Who cares if the 4.2 is faster or the 5.4 is faster. These trucks were built to WORK and play. If Bill's 4.2 can beat a 5.4, Good for him. It comes down to one thing.......Trucks are TRUCKS not race cars, If I had wanted a race car, I would have bought one.
One more thing....pretty amazing how Bill disappeared and Kilroy joined on the same day.
------------------
1999 4.6 Extra Cab-Short Bed
Silver Clear Coat Metalic
K&N Airfilter
17 Inch 2000 Chrome 4X4 Wheels Wrapped in 275/60/17 ZR Yokahama AVS
White-Faced Luminescent Gauges
Flowmaster 3 inch Cat Back 40 Series Exhaust
3.5 Inch Polished Thermal Research Exhaust Tip
Clear Corner Lenses
Super White Headlight and Turn Signals
Trends Billet Antenna

[This message has been edited by FORDTRK (edited 04-17-2000).]

Old 04-17-2000, 12:12 AM
Wink

Neal lives in Canada, maybe you could run his 5.4L

Old 04-17-2000, 06:12 PM
Unhappy

Why the hostility towards the V6 guy? You guys were fourtunate enough to have the financial resources to purchase the v8 and maybe he was not. I know when I bought my truck, I wanted an F150 XLT SC and I wanted the stepside.. The only way for me to get the looks I wanted was to go with the v6 which was a couple of thousand less than the same truck with the 5.4 v8. (Remember, the v6 often has more dealer incentives).
Also, according to my owner's manual, my truck can tow 5800 lbs stock with the v6 and 3:55 gears.. I am not sure where some of the previous numbers came from, but according to Ford's own figures they are incorrect. I have had a 2200lb trailer loaded with about 3800 lbs worth of stuff in it and I towed it with very little problems. Granted, I did not have to go very far and towed on a flat surface, but I had no problems pulling it under these conditions.

While I am sure the v8 is much better in many ways than my v6, our trucks are not without their place or value. Please do not knock those of us who drive the v6s. Remeber, we all are here for a common purpose and I am sure it is not to beat each other up or establish some kind of heirarchy whereas the "5.4 V8 OWNERS" somehow have more value than those of us with sixs'.

Too many times we forget what we have and concentrate on what we don’t have. What is one person’s worthless object is another’s prize possession. It is all based on one’s perspective.

Old 04-17-2000, 06:38 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Of course you're right, Steve and I for one am ashamed of myself.

(did I mention my radiator is bigger?)

Old 04-17-2000, 07:41 PM
Cool

I have nothing against the V6, but when someone comes on here saying that he will beat a V8....
The V6 is no dog, I almost bought one due to the price difference.
I guess for me the V8 was more important than the supercab.
It's all about tradeoffs, The F150 can come hundreds of different ways for $20K
I could have even given up the XLT for a supercab or given up the V8 for 4WD.
For $20K you normally can get 2 of the 4.
V8
XLT
4WD
Supercab
Which 2 is up to the induvidual
Peace.

Old 04-18-2000, 01:03 PM
Arrow

This is the thread that never ends and it goes on and on my friend......

Old 04-18-2000, 08:11 PM
Red face

and on and on and on and on........

------------------
1999 4.6 Extra Cab-Short Bed
Silver Clear Coat Metalic
K&N Airfilter
17 Inch 2000 Chrome 4X4 Wheels Wrapped in 275/60/17 ZR Yokahama AVS
White-Faced Luminescent Gauges
Flowmaster 3 inch Cat Back 40 Series Exhaust
3.5 Inch Polished Thermal Research Exhaust Tip