Tuner ,Tuner,Tuner,Tuner!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuner ,Tuner,Tuner,Tuner!

Just got back from my test ride after the tuner install, all I can say is holy ****. I have never been able to turn my tires over before and acceleration is unbelieveable. Unfortunatly I'll have to tune it to the tow setting but for now I'm really having fun. The install is super easy, alot easier than what the instructions read. Go over the instructions then go ahead with the install, it all makes perfect sense then. This is a great product, Thanks Mike Troyer!

Old 09-21-2003, 12:02 AM
Is that the new 1715?

Old 09-21-2003, 08:05 PM
Yes it's the new Tuner. If you are thinking about getting one do it, it's a great mod for the money.

Old 09-21-2003, 09:47 PM
Orlando Dude, You got lots of red snakes in your engine bay.

My tuner gets here this week. Hopefully your description will fit my reaction.

Old 09-22-2003, 08:18 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Orlando,

Glad to see you got your new 1715 & are enjoying it already - the new programs have even more power than before, we participated in some of their development so we know what they can do.

Thanks for your post, as always, & have fun!

Old 09-23-2003, 09:59 AM
CRAP!!!!!! I want the new one!!!! I have had my 1715 for just over a month and absolutely love it, but did not hear about the new one until after I received it. It was a gift from the wife and unfortunately she did not buy it from Mike

I really want the 87 octane setting - I put around 32K miles/ year on my truck and the premium fuel cost is putting holes in my pocket. I have been averaging around 13 mpg with the tuner installed (I know, I know, part of it is my driving habits )

Oh, by the way, for those of you that have the tuner - wait until you return it to the factory setting. I had to yesterday because the girl went into the dealer this morning for her 90K mile service. WHAT A DOG compared to the tuner!!!! Of course it is not as bad as the Dodge Quadcab longbed that they gave me as a loaner

Old 09-23-2003, 05:51 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi LightningCrew,

I love your truck - I always wanted a Lightning SuperCrew, and after waiting 2 years to get my Lightning (as it could only be an extra toy), a couple months later here comes the supercharged 2002 Harley models - that's what I would have bought if it had been available.

Don't fret about not having the 87 octane mode - the power gains are small, and using premium all the time can only cost you a maximum of an additional $100 per 10,000 miles driven to use premium gas with the Superchips tuning - and that's if you drive it hard all the time - most people average spending $50-$100 a year more for gas to use premium & the Superchips tuning.

I know what you mean though, it would be nice for some to have the 87 octane mode available, just in case.

Nice truck - keep up the good work!

Old 09-24-2003, 10:47 PM
Mike,

When you say premium, are you talking 89 or 91?

Patrick

p.s. tuner being sent to me is so slow over ground.

Old 09-25-2003, 02:14 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi phurley,

89 octane is only mid-grade - here in the East, premium is at least 93 octane, and 89 is *way* too low. 89 cannot be used instead of premium.

"Premium" means a *minimum* of 91 octane - and it needs to be a good quality 91 octane at that - no off-brands, no-names, etc. In those areas where 91 octane is the highest premium octane, we generally recommend using Chevron as your first choice in fuel, as they generally have about the best consistency in fuel quality - energy content, etc.

For use with the Superchips tuning for premium gas, you can use any good quality 91 thru 94 octane premium unleaded gasoline. Anything less than 91 octane is not acceptable, and anything more than 94 octane (like Sunoco's Ultra 94, that's the best "pump gas" for performance) is a waste unless we do a custom tune specifically for octanes above 94 - just to give you a rough guideline of the octane ranges to use for "premium" gas with the Superchips tuning.

I hope that helps, & have fun!

Old 09-25-2003, 02:51 PM
Smile

Mike, I heard from another 1715 reseller, I came to you to buy it, and he said that there were three programs, 87, 89 and 91.

Is that wrong?

Old 09-25-2003, 09:31 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Patrick,

That is incorrect information, maybe that dealer just misunderstood.

There is no 89 octane program at all - there is an 87 octane program for those who can live with small power gains, then there is a premium gas tow-safe program, and finally, there's the "MAX" performance program that requires premium gas and is *not* towing compatible, it's for maximum performance.

So no, there is no 89 octane program my friend. There is one 87 octane program and 2 different 91-94 octane premium gas programs - perhaps your dealer there is just confused, or maybe someone explained it to him that way, I don't know.

Have fun!

Old 09-25-2003, 10:07 PM
Smile

Hi Mike ,

What will happen if I tow a 3400 lb. tent trailer using the performance settings that are not towing compatible?

Thanks,

Patrick

(please be patient with me because I am an engineer that asks all kind of questi0ons regardless of how apparent the answers are to you or others)

Old 09-26-2003, 02:39 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Patrick,

No problem!

The "max" performance program sets the A/F's (Air/Fuel ratio) for maximum safe power in these heavy vehicles without additional load on the motor from towing.

A "max performance" tune does not allow room for another 2 tons or more of load on the motor by towing - the EGT's (exhaust gas temperatures) could potentially reach levels that are too high for safe towing of heavy loads up grades - hills, mountains, etc.

And no, before someone else asks, that doesn't mean that it's "safe" to tow loads on the "max" performance program on flat level ground, either.

In this aspect, it's about load - the more load on the motor, the less timing & more fuel it generally requires, all else being equal - towing is *load*, thus when towing, richer A/F's are required to feed the additional load on the motor & keep EGT's in check. The best A/F for maximum safe power without towing is a bit too lean for safe towing of heavy loads up a grade - and we have to either be able to allow for towing loads all the way up to the vehicle's rated limit, up a mountain - or no towing at all in these F-150's. Just as sure as we tell someone OK, go ahead and tow 1500 lbs. on flat level ground, someone will think it's OK to tow 6000 lbs. up a mountain. There is over 3000 lbs. of potential weight difference from the lightest to the heaviest F-150 configurations, and we have to allow for the heaviest weights (loads).

Enjoy your weekend,

Old 09-26-2003, 07:41 PM
hey mike how much difference will i be able to tell between the 87 program and 93 program. Is there a huge difference or little?

Old 09-27-2003, 06:16 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi stx03,

That would be 6 points of difference.

OK, I just had to joke with you a bit, forgive me.......

On the 87 octane program, the V8's see about an 8 HP gain or so, the V10's about 12 HP. Then there are 2 *different* programs for premium gas in the Micro Tuner too, one that is towing compatible and the other that is not - the maximum performance program.

The difference between the power gains on 87 octane versus the max performance tune is significant - upwards of 15-20 more HP.

The 87 octane program is cool in that you get *some* power gain even on 87, and you still also get all the other improvements - delays & retards optimized, top speed limiter pulled, etc. - but the *real* performance is in the premium gas programs, especially the "max" performance tune.

Unless I had to tow a load, I'd be running on the "max" performance tune all the time, as *that* is how you get maximum performance and the best fuel mileage. The additional fuel cost to run on premium with that program is very small - you might spend $100-200 a year more for gas like that, which is nothing - a coupla-few bucks a week, & for many people even less. That's what most people don't realize, that thanks to the performance tuning, as long as you keep your foot out of the firewall, the fuel mileage generally comes up a little bit - and that helps to offset some of the cost delta between 87 & premium gas. For example, *worst-case* scenario, if you drive it very hard *all* the time, you might have to spend as much as $100 more for gas for each 10,000 miles you drive - that's just very minimal, not even a factor, realistically. Most people make the mistake of thinking they're going to spend another $50-$100 a *month* for gas to run on premium with the Superchips tuning, but that just isn't the case at all.

I hope that info helps & good luck!

Quick Reply: Tuner ,Tuner,Tuner,Tuner!