Chip or Microtuner

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chip or Microtuner

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if someone could tell me the pros and cons of the superchip vs the microtuner. Obviously they are both performance related, but which is better and why?

Thanks in advance,

Jag

Old 06-22-2003, 02:57 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Jag,

Going over all of the pros & cons properly really requires a thorough knowledge of all the various features of both. That is a lot of rather detailed info, and has been previously typed out here (numerous times) by us. You can easily access that info via the search feature, which is accessed via the icon in the upper right area of your screen here. With that you'll be able to easily access all of that information in proper detail. In other words, it's one of those "basics" that gets asked virtually every time someone new to this section drops by to join us here, to the point that we simply refer everyone who asks that same question to the search feature. It has excellent filters & you'll get used to it pretty quick. Search for posts made by my screen name on the topic "Micro Tuner or Superchip," or something to that effect, when entering your keywords for your search, and that will narrow down the choices so you can quickly get to the specific detailed info you really want.

Once you've read up on those posts, or if you'd just like to go over this in more detail easier, we'll be happy to speak with you, our phone number is listed below. You can also read about both products in detail on our web site, over at www.TroyerPerformance.com - Click on "Shop" when the home page loads, then you'll see the various parts sections, including our Superchips section. Under the Superchips section you'll see a link that says "List by Vehicle Type," click on it to see just the FoMoCo applications, and then read all the details about our Part# 1100 (the single program Superchip module) and then our Part #1715, the Superchips Micro Tuner.

You can also give us a call at our number listed below of course, we're always happy to speak with you.

Briefly...................

The Micro Tuner is what most people use, simply because of it's combination of additional features and easy plug in, upload & play 10-12 minute installation. The Micro Tuner can be used with other mods like intake kits, cat-back exhausts, underdrive pulleys, electric fans, and larger throttle bodies. If you have or are going to do any mods that require custom engine tuning, then the Micro Tuner is *not* the unit to use, in that case you'd need to use the traditional Superchip module, and we'd suggest using the 2-program Superchip Flip Chip in that situation. And here I'm talking about modifications like a different MAF larger fuel injectors, a supercharger, ported cylinder heads & camshaft changes, etc.

The Micro Tuner gives you additional features like the ability to recalibrate your speedometer for tire size & gear ratio changes on 1999 & newer trucks, alter WOT shift points and shift firmness levels, and also has a built-in OBD-II code scanner. And, it takes only about 10-12 minutes to install it, and you can return to stock at any time.

The traditional Superchip module gets you the same basic performance level & power gains, and the ability to get custom engine tuning if need be, as well as be updated in the future should your vehicle's mods change significantly. It will take 30-40 minutes to install and involves significantly more work to do the installation, though it is certainly easy enough that with our documentation, just about anyone can get thru the installation with no problems.

That's just a tiny bit of basic info, you can read all the details here via the search feature, read up on them over at our web site, or give us a call, we'll be happy to help. If you'd like to call us, we can cover all of this in just a few minutes, and pretty quickly give you the rundown on how to make your decision between the Superchips Micro Tuner or the traditional Superchip module, that would be the quickest way to get to the bottom of it all, if you'd like to.

Best of luck whatever you decide, & let us know if we can help!

Old 07-03-2003, 03:40 PM
Mike,

Thanks a lot for the reply. I will most likely do something next year. Just not sure whether to chip it or do a cat back dual exhaust system first.

Have a great 4th of July holiday!

Jag

Old 07-03-2003, 09:37 PM
Just my $.02, get the Tuner and get it before anything. I love my Tuner and it made a lot more difference in performance over the exhaust I added. I like the tunability of the tuner also.

Old 07-03-2003, 11:39 PM
Just so you have opinions from all angles here, I'd suggest doing an airbox replacement and catback, then the MicroTuner. I would however agree with Josho in that I love the MicroTuner, but I think it works best in conjunction with the other two mods. You'll love the effect these three mods together have on your truck.

Just my $.02.

-Mike-

Old 07-04-2003, 12:31 AM
Guys,

Thanks for the continued input, guess I have to start making some decisions and saving some $$$$

Jag

Old 07-05-2003, 02:36 PM
Former Sponsor
Actually, BigDeal makes a good point in that those 3 specific mods (the Superchips tuning, an Air Force One intake kit & a Magnaflow exhaust) do indeed compliment each other very nicely, working together very well as a system. Which is why that is or Stage 1 performance package for these trucks.

So yes, I'd say that you'll feel the effects of the Micro Tuner best with the motor able to breathe better, though you can do those 3 mods in *any* order you desire, and it makes no difference to the end result.

Anytime you optimize the tuning, that will be best optimized further by the motor being able to breathe, sure, that's always true.

The actual order of bang for the buck among those 3 mods would be the Superchips tuning first, followed by the intake and then the exhaust. However, you can do those 3 mods in *any* order you like, just make yourself happy. Most people want to do their mods in order of bang for the buck, while others want to hear that exhaust first, etc., it's all good.

The bottom line is, for those 3 specific mods, you can do them in any order you like, you can do just one of them, none of them or all of them, just make yourself happy!

Last edited by Superchips_Distributor; 07-05-2003 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-05-2003, 10:50 PM
So Mike T., from reading your last post, what order would you recommend for these three mods? Sorry, just couldn't resist.

-Mike-

Old 07-06-2003, 10:42 PM
The SuperChip module or MicroTuner...(I have had both and prefer the SuperChips Microtuner over the SuperChips module because of it's flexibility) is the single best "bang for the buck" you can do to your truck. There are many mods that will give you more performance than changing your drivetrain tuning, but not for the same cost.

Intake and exhaust mods make marginal differences that usually can be felt by the "seat-of-the-pants"....but you cannot imagine the performance upgrade you will feel with the simple addition of either the module or the tuner.

On my previous truck ('99 4x4 5.4l) I did all three mods. The exhaust first. It sounded fantastic, but gave no real improvement except top end. Intake had no discernable efect at all. The SuperChip was like night and day!

On my present truck, I have the MicroTuner. Same great performance, with the added flexibility of correcting my speedometer for the larger tires, selecting where I want my shift points, how hard I want it to shift, and a great little bit of "icing on the cake".....the ability to read trouble codes on my truck, as well as any other Ford vehicle with the OBDII PCM! (I THINK that is '97 year models or later?)

I would say do the SuperChip first!

Old 07-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi BigDeal,

I guess I am pretty good at making things about as clear as mud, eh?

All kidding aside, we recommend doing the Superchips tuning first simply due to it's bang for the buck value.

I also agree with you in that you get the most from the Micro Tuner when the motor can breathe better, that too is certainly true. For me personally, I'm a traditional motor-head, so I always want the motor in a sharp state of tune first, so our vehicles virtually always get the Superchips tuning as their very first modification. Doing it that way also helps us in testing for performance improvement of the tuning, by doing it on a stock vehicle with no other modifications, we can see just what the tuning by itself actually does on an otherwise bone-stock vehicle.

Like I said above, "it's all good" among those 3 mods (tuning, intake & exhaust), each vehicle owner should do whatever makes them happy.

Old 07-29-2003, 11:53 AM
If you do the tuner first or before other mods (such as electric fans) does the truck require a "retuning" after adding other mods?

Thanks.

Old 07-30-2003, 03:37 PM
After you plug in your MicroTuner, then tune it, can you unplug it and keep it safe inside your house? Or do you have to leave it plugged in, where it runs off the MicroTuner.

I can tell you this, I'm already saving for one of those puppys. That'll be my first true mod!

Old 07-30-2003, 07:54 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi LakeSands,

That depends on just what other modifications you have done.

If you do anything that requires custom engine tuning, then you can't use the Micro Tuner at all, and must instead use the traditional Superchip module with whatever custom tuning is required for the mechanical configuration at hand.

Simple mods like an intake kit, cat-back exhaust system, electric fans, underdrive pulleys and a larger throttle body do *not* require custom engine tuning to compensate for, so the tuning in the Micro Tuner will work fine with all of those mods, just to give you a rough idea. So for *those* mods, you can do them in any order and no changes are required to the tuning.

Old 07-30-2003, 07:56 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi LFG,

No, you don't leave the Micro Tuner hanging down from the dashboard, you follow the instructions and disconnect it when done. The Micro Tuner *tells* you to disconnect it as soon as it's done, right there on it's LCD screen.

It does NOT stay connected to the vehicle, you use it and disconnect it & then go enjoy the results!

Old 07-31-2003, 07:29 AM
Thanks Mike......

Quick Reply: Chip or Microtuner