hood visor looks like *****, how do I clean?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hood visor looks like *****, how do I clean?

I've got a Ford hood visor, looks just like the Bugflector II, For some reason it appears very dull and crappy looking, even though I was it thoroughly each time I wash. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there any way to clean or polish it or do I just have to fork out $70 for a new one?

How is the Bugflector II? I need something that will screw in under the hood, not something attached with 3M tape. Any comments welcomed..

Old 08-02-2002, 07:02 AM
Jag
Have an older Explorer at home with the same problem, bug deflector gets dull and chaulky looking. I just use a cleaner/wax on it.

Old 08-02-2002, 01:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

They sell plastic polish at most auto parts stores now, or you can use a cleaner wax or polishing compound. It's a little more labor intensive than paint, but it will polish out with some work.,,,,,98

Old 08-02-2002, 03:30 PM
I also have a Ford shield it looks like it is 10 years old really faded. I will have to try and wax it.

Old 08-03-2002, 02:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, I kept wax on mine and then when I did an acid bath on my truck it looked all dull!

A few coats of Plexus with a microfiber towel made it look great! I reapply plexus to it each time I wash my truck. Takes less than a minute to do too.

Old 08-03-2002, 08:22 AM
Intel486

WTF is plexus?

Old 08-03-2002, 03:12 PM
Plexus is a mild plastic polish with some protective qualites. Check at boating supply stores and motorcycle stores. I also think Properautocare sells it.

Trending Topics

Old 08-04-2002, 12:06 PM
It’s just a bug deflector. Even though a faded bug deflector can look crappy and it would "bug” me too Didn’t we buy them to protect our hood from those damn June bugs that wiz by at 60 mph and feel like you just got struck by a pellet (happened last night). Anyway, a bug deflector saves your hood from a lot of damage from bugs, rocks and other flying debris, so a new one every now and then is worth it in my opinion. You may just want to buy one that can be painted and re-paint it every now and then. That’s what I’m doing. PAINT SCRATCH can find the exact match for the color of your truck.

Old 08-04-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Emissions
so a new one every now and then is worth it in my opinion.
Why would you want to do that when a $9 can of plexus, which practically lasts forever, will keep your bug guard looking new? I'm pretty sure the plexus route is better than getting a new bug guard every year or so.

Even if you don't use plexus, a cleaner wax work too.

Last edited by Intel486; 08-04-2002 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-11-2002, 12:18 PM
Meguiar's makes some products for plastic that might help your shield..check out their website for info..I find you can't beat their products because they work.

Old 08-11-2002, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by mjhpadi
Meguiar's makes some products for plastic that might help your shield..check out their website for info..I find you can't beat their products because they work.
Forgot about the Meguiar's Plastic Polishes. I agree, they are really good! They have two. One is more agressive than the other. You should get both of them. I don't have the product number right here but they should be pretty easy to find. Check a boating supply store.

Old 08-12-2002, 09:50 PM
You can throw all those products away!

Got this stuff at a truck stop out in Central PA. It's called Ultimate. Used it on my visor when I had it, got rid of it when I got the Ram Air hood. But, it was dull, an faded. Used this stuff on it. Looked BRAND NEW. Takes the yellowing junk right off of headlights. Did a friend of mines headlights. She called me up later that night, said she clicked her high beams off thinking they were on, when really she clicked them on. She couldn't believe the difference. Anyway, the next time I was out that way, I wanted to get more. They were all out, an the salesmen never came back. Well, I found out that StylinConcepts carrys this stuff. It goes for 25 bucks a bottle. But boy does it work. The bottle I have has a Tractor on it. The bottle StylinConcepts has, has a pick-up on it. It's the same thing. Same bottle, just different truck on it. Check it out.

http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts....y_word=sgu1000

Old 08-13-2002, 01:00 AM
I really like the looks of that hood. I'm wondering, since apparently it's a functional ram air, how you ducted the air into the throttle body with the normal Ford intake set up. Doesn't seem possible to get the air from where the ducts are into the aircleaner assembly (especially since your site show's you using a K&N filter) and then into the throttle body without losing the air velocity that the hood gives you.
And if it's not functional, since the manufacturers website says the hood comes with screens, telling me that it's not just a blocked off hood opening, how do you keep dirt etc off the top of your engine?
Do you have any pictures of that under-the-hood stuff?
Thanks.....
(looks darn good anyway....)

Old 08-13-2002, 06:06 AM
Damn, ram-air, I trust you cuz of your pic! jeez sexy truck.

Old 08-13-2002, 01:17 PM
momule, they don't have the functional kit out yet for the ram air hood. It comes with screens though that close off the opening. I want to get a custom grille insert made that will match my truck's grille. I just ordered teh hood today can't wait!

Quick Reply: hood visor looks like *****, how do I clean?