Clay Bar questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alright i'll just wax after i get done claying which will save me some time. will the dawn dish soap and just a regular car wash sponge work for prepping before clay?

the reason i ask about the wheels is because even when there spotless and shining like no other, they do not feel very smooth.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Daniel - the Armorall wash and wax isn't that great. A sponge isn't the greatest thing to wash with either - microfiber or lambswool mitts are much better. No need to wash after claying, but if you do, don't use a "wash and wax" product. All you need to do is give it a wipedown with the quick detailing spray. Note that the NXT will not do any paint correction to speak of - it has some "fillers" to help hide light scratches and swirls, that's about it. If you have correction to do, you can get some Meguiars Ultimate Compound. I don't see any need to clay the wheels (unless they are clearcoated) or the lights. Use PlastX on the lights.

Flavtfan - a random orbital doesn't have enough "oomph" to do any kind of meaningful paint correction - but you can certainly use it to apply a cleaner wax. I still do NOT recommend you use it for removal. Yes, to each their own, but all I'm doing is telling you the right and preferred way to do it, based on input from professional detailers. Have you read our detailing sticky yet?
i'm not trying to do any kind of paint correction, my hand cramps up and i don't like spending all day waxing a vehicle by hand so i got the buffer and it works great, cuts my time well over half. i haven't read the detailing sticky but i've read the meguiars directions and i've been using their products for probably 15 years. I have a truck, not a show car i use the buffer to apply and remove from all the big areas and all the areas next to plastic and hard to reach areas i use the microfiber applicator and microfiber towel for application and removal. i use brand new pads and cloths everytime i wax with the buffer. BTW, i have had success "buffing" out dull areas that had minor scratching and it looks like the dull scratches were never there. it has all the oomph i really need it for. if i get an area that i cannot fix with what i have, i would take it to a professional...i know my limitations

Last edited by flavtfan; 02-13-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:37 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Daniel, you are reading a bit too much into it. Just wash the truck with something before you clay it and you don't even need to dry it. I don't recommend sponges, I recommend microfiber or lambswool mitts and a "2 bucket" method with grit guards. Have YOU read the detailing sticky yet?

Exactly what type of finish is on your wheels? Chrome, clearcoated something, or polished aluminum?

Old 02-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Daniel, you are reading a bit too much into it. Just wash the truck with something before you clay it and you don't even need to dry it. I don't recommend sponges, I recommend microfiber or lambswool mitts and a "2 bucket" method with grit guards. Have YOU read the detailing sticky yet?

Exactly what type of finish is on your wheels? Chrome, clearcoated something, or polished aluminum?
im sorry about that i just want it done it right the first time :o

my wheels are chrome. i just use eagle one wipe and shine on them just like i do on my truck to make it shine. lol im not a professional by any means and it makes them shine so i use it..

Old 02-13-2011, 10:45 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
If they are uncoated chrome, just use chrome polish and a synthetic wax on them.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by DanielWalker10
im sorry about that i just want it done it right the first time :o

my wheels are chrome. i just use eagle one wipe and shine on them just like i do on my truck to make it shine. lol im not a professional by any means and it makes them shine so i use it..
I use Collinite #850 Metal Wax on my wheels after I clean them. Really makes them shine and are as smooth as glass once the wax is buffed off. It also leaves a nice layer of protection which is the main reason I use it.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Ford/GM/Chrysler/MB/Porsche all have service directives that specifically refer to paint correction/contamination procedures and clay bar is not a referred procedure and specifically identified as a method which only removes the surface level paint contaminants and as such, the "root' of the contaminant remains continues to destroy the paint from underneath the surface layer of the paint.

Just remember, Mequire's clay bar is rated at 3500 grit. There much better clay bar products out there rated at much finer grits- so if you are comfortable and believe your paint needs to be wet-sanded, and that is the only and safest way to correct the flaw/issue, then do so but remember, for 90% for all paint contamination issues there are products designed to relieve/remove/neutralize the contaminants without reducing the mil thickness of the clear coat

These procedures date back to 1990 and are still published in current oem paint maintenance publications/service manuals.

if you would like a copy of these, pm me.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:51 PM
It isn't even worth commenting on anymore. You tell someone claying is bad for their paint, then in another thread tell someone to take touch up paint to the side of their truck to fix some tress scratches sight unseen.

Everyone has their own opinions, but as a general rule, some of the best detailing advice I could give would be just to ignore your advice.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Ford/GM/Chrysler/MB/Porsche all have service directives that specifically refer to paint correction/contamination procedures and clay bar is not a referred procedure and specifically identified as a method which only removes the surface level paint contaminants and as such, the "root' of the contaminant remains continues to destroy the paint from underneath the surface layer of the paint.

Just remember, Mequire's clay bar is rated at 3500 grit. There much better clay bar products out there rated at much finer grits- so if you are comfortable and believe your paint needs to be wet-sanded, and that is the only and safest way to correct the flaw/issue, then do so but remember, for 90% for all paint contamination issues there are products designed to relieve/remove/neutralize the contaminants without reducing the mil thickness of the clear coat

These procedures date back to 1990 and are still published in current oem paint maintenance publications/service manuals. If you would like a copy of these directives, pm me.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by Gipraw
It isn't even worth commenting on anymore. You tell someone claying is bad for their paint, then in another thread tell someone to take touch up paint to the side of their truck to fix some tress scratches sight unseen.

Everyone has their own opinions, but as a general rule, some of the best detailing advice I could give would be just to ignore your advice.
Attend an ICAR certified paint course...these are standard procedures taught to all ICAR certified painters- if done with a lot of patience, the techniques will work and create an almost invisable appearance (I say almost because the person who does the work will always be able to point the area, but 90%+ of the people will not be able to see it). The RP indicated the scratches at some areas were deep enough to feel with their nail, given the minimum 3mil clear coat thickness requirement, to attempt to polish the paint to down to the scratch level would definitely reduce the paints longitivity and shine to a fraction of that it should be. If you have the time/patient, this will work, if not, then the panel should be repaint (which is what most bodyshops would do)

Old 02-17-2011, 12:13 PM
how did this go from clay bar questions to wet sanding and repainting? im sure if clay bar didnt work all the people that say they loved the results, would have said its not worth the time. i just want a cleaner more contaminant free finish which clay bar should take care of. but as Gipraw said, everyone has there opinions. everybody has different problems and want to achieve different results. i know for a fact im not going to wet said my truck! lol

Old 02-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by BigTerp
I use Collinite #850 Metal Wax on my wheels after I clean them. Really makes them shine and are as smooth as glass once the wax is buffed off. It also leaves a nice layer of protection which is the main reason I use it.
heck yeah. im going to look into getting some. i just know there not as "clean" as they could be. thanks for the advice

Old 02-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by DanielWalker10
how did this go from clay bar questions to wet sanding and repainting? im sure if clay bar didnt work all the people that say they loved the results, would have said its not worth the time. i just want a cleaner more contaminant free finish which clay bar should take care of. but as Gipraw said, everyone has there opinions. everybody has different problems and want to achieve different results. i know for a fact im not going to wet said my truck! lol
Don't pay any attention to Beechkid he does this in every thread about clay bars.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:50 PM
could i clay bar, scratch-x, then wax?

Old 02-17-2011, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by dsq3973
Don't pay any attention to Beechkid he does this in every thread about clay bars.
ok cool. lol i was like whaaaaaaa??

Quick Reply: Clay Bar questions.