F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Care & Detailing (https://www.f150online.com/forums/care-detailing-22/)
-   -   Clay Bar questions. (https://www.f150online.com/forums/care-detailing/440787-clay-bar-questions.html)

DanielWalker10 02-08-2011 03:27 PM

Clay Bar questions.

i plan on doing the clay bar deal after all the bad weather clears up and as im noticed some small scratches and swirl marks. i got some questions though before i try since i've never done it before.

1. is there anything i do besides just hand washing it before i start?

2. should i get the mequires(sp?) kit from autozone

3. is it really worth it?

4. is there any other options that will work better?

5. for the most part, is it a simple process?

i know theres probably a write up somewhere but i couldnt find it.. lol

Adam's Polishes 02-08-2011 03:44 PM

Good questions -

1) All you really need to do prior to claying is wash. The clay will remove the stuff that didn't come off during the wash process, be sure to inspect the clay the fold/knead it regularly to make sure you have a fresh surface.

2) Until the end of this year there isn't much difference in any clay sold in the US. Automagic holds the patent and legally all that is sold here is their stuff. Gererally you'll find 3 grades and a rainbow of colors (fine, medium, and body shop) most stuff sold over the counter and to consumers is fine grade and it will get the job done for most people. The primary difference you'll see between one bar and the next is the size... the OTC stuff is generally smaller than the ones you'd get from us or other boutique retailers, but in all honesty the job will get done either way so the megs stuff will work fine for you.

3) Absolutely!! You'll notice a dramatic improvement in the look/feel of your paint afterwards. Remember though that clay does absolutely NOTHING for swirl marks... its simply to remove hard bonded contamination like minerals, rail dust, paint overspray, tree sap, etc. Swirls and fine scratches need to be addressed with polishing.

4) Clay is just about the only way to get truly 'clean' paint before moving onto polish/wax. There are products (falsely) marketed under the misnomer of "liquid clay" which are really nothing more than cleaner waxes and won't accomplish the same things as a traditional claybar will. The good news is that clay isn't something that needs to be done ALL the time... maintaining a good wash/wax routine throughout the year will keep the paint relatively smooth and clean... I only clay my personal vehicle about 2x a year total.

5) Claying is very simple. Spray lubrication on the surface and slide the clay along the paint with medium pressure. Work back and forth, up and down. You'll physically hear and feel the paint smooth out as you work. Flip, fold, and knead the clay regularly to get a fresh surface. Work slow and methodically and you'll be fine. ALSO - CLAY YOUR GLASS! People many times neglect to clay their windshields, it makes a big difference.

Hope that helps, don't hesitate to drop my a PM or email should you need anymore help or clarification on anything to do with claying.

DanielWalker10 02-08-2011 03:59 PM

thanks, that helped alot! i sent you a pm with some more questions. but do you have sell a kit on your site that i could use?

Razar 02-08-2011 04:18 PM

He sure does, suggest you PM him.

TJL442 02-08-2011 05:10 PM

After you clay bar your truck you will be wondering why you have not done this before. It makes the paint so smooth and clean. My wife is always asking me to clay bar her Lincoln, I do but just not as much as my truck. You'll love it when your done.

Tim

DanielWalker10 02-08-2011 05:40 PM

its been on my mind but after all this snowy weather clears i know it'll need to be thoroughly cleaned so i thought id give this a try. im pretty excited now! lol if its as good as y'll say i'll do it to all 3 of our regulary driven cars and my gf's car if shes nice to me that day. lol

glc 02-08-2011 05:42 PM

Break the clay bar into smaller pieces - because if you drop the clay on the ground you must throw it away. The Megs kit comes with 2 small bars, and you can break those in half.

DanielWalker10 02-08-2011 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by glc (Post 4490577)
Break the clay bar into smaller pieces - because if you drop the clay on the ground you must throw it away. The Megs kit comes with 2 small bars, and you can break those in half.

with that promo code i can get the adams too my door for right at 40.

how much is the meg's get at auto zone or o'reilys or advance?

Adam's Polishes 02-08-2011 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by DanielWalker10 (Post 4490605)
with that promo code i can get the adams too my door for right at 40.

how much is the meg's get at auto zone or o'reilys or advance?

apples to oranges comparison... not sure about the size of the OTC bars, but ours is 200gram... I break mine into 3 or 4 pieces. We also include a 16oz bottle of detail spray to use a lubrication and include an air tight storage container for the bars when they're not in use. I know a lot of OTC bars come packaged at best with the little plastic snap case which is far from air tight.

DanielWalker10 02-08-2011 06:16 PM

if i can get the money together i'll order it. i dont see the weather clearing up for a week or two so i got a little time. is there any other promo codes besides " f150 "

im looking for a good deal! lol
::beers::

AZ-FORD-GUY 02-08-2011 07:09 PM

I need to do this to my truck as well! Post the results after you are done, I would love to her how it turned out.

DanielWalker10 02-08-2011 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by AZ-FORD-GUY (Post 4490680)
I need to do this to my truck as well! Post the results after you are done, I would love to her how it turned out.

no problem sir. we still have a couple inches on the ground and more coming tonight but im hoping it clears out fast so i can get this done! lol

Blue07STX 02-08-2011 09:09 PM

Adam's Polishes;

Good questions -

1) All you really need to do prior to claying is wash. The clay will remove the stuff that didn't come off during the wash process, be sure to inspect the clay the fold/knead it regularly to make sure you have a fresh surface.

5) Claying is very simple. Spray lubrication on the surface and slide the clay along the paint with medium pressure. Work back and forth, up and down. You'll physically hear and feel the paint smooth out as you work. Flip, fold, and knead the clay regularly to get a fresh surface. Work slow and methodically and you'll be fine. ALSO - CLAY YOUR GLASS! People many times neglect to clay their windshields, it makes a big difference.

I use one clay bar for glass and another for the paint. A great practice I started a few years ago. Ensure you throw away any clay bar that's been dropped.

DanielWalker10 02-08-2011 10:31 PM

i have a small chip in my windshield? does that matter? i dont want a clay spot stuck in my windshield. lol

Svets96 02-08-2011 10:50 PM

I bought a Mothers kit recently. I am definatley gonna do this in the spring. I'm all fired up after readin these posts! I wanna clay now!