Clay Bar questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Svets96
I bought a Mothers kit recently. I am definatley gonna do this in the spring. I'm all fired up after readin these posts! I wanna clay now!
i know you're exact feeling! lol i want this weather gone so i can get started!! lol

Old 02-09-2011, 12:14 AM
I imagine myself cleaning my truck. Thats how bad I get.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:07 AM
lol i had my truck all cleaned up and looking good and planned on leaving it in the dry shop the entire shop but the urge to play around in 4x4 overwhelmed me so its FILTHY again. lol oh well, im hoping the clay bar makes it look even better.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:13 AM
Also a heads of for you guys that are new to claying, it will strip your wax off.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:29 AM
DanielWalker10... I had the same questions of what to do and if it was really worth it. The answer is a definite yes. Here's a link to when I was a newbie not that long ago:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/ca...ar-newbie.html

As others have said ... once you do it, you'll wonder what took you so long. Have at it

Last edited by Red02FX4; 02-09-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:36 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
For comparison purposes - the Megs OTC clay kit comes with two 50 gram bars. If you buy the 200 gram bars from Adam's, you should probably break them up into at least 4 pieces.

I just looked up the Megs - I thought they were 80 gram - maybe they used to be, because I broke mine in half. This was about 3 years ago.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:54 AM
I ordered some rain guards from amazon witch arrived broken. So imma send this back with cost about 40 and when the refund hits, I'm gunna order the Adams kit. Its like this, Why by a razor(OTC stuff) when the iPhones(Adams) better? Lol might cost a little more but it should pay off in the end

Old 02-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by glc

I just looked up the Megs - I thought they were 80 gram - maybe they used to be, because I broke mine in half. This was about 3 years ago.
They very well may have been. I know from talking to our friends over at Megs they are victim to the same problems we are. Clay is one part of the business thats constantly in flux thanks to AM and their stranglehold on the patent... we've had to change our clay 3x in the past 2 years simply b/c they change their mind on a bars production quantities or availability.

Tis rather annoying!

Old 02-10-2011, 09:17 AM
I'll be claying this spring as well. Sounds like alot of us have the same idea.

For those of you in the know, would it be best to wash with dish soap to strip the wax before claying? Or will a normal wash be fine? I guess I'm asking if the clay will work better when not having to work through a layer of wax.

Last edited by BigTerp; 02-10-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I did clay for the first time last year and lets just say it looked AMAZING when I was done compared to just the usual wash. This year I plan on getting a orbital polisher to take out some light scratches I may have made...I can't wait for spring/summer time!

Old 02-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by BigTerp
For those of you in the know, would it be best to wash with dish soap to strip the wax before claying? Or will a normal wash be fine? I guess I'm asking if the clay will work better when not having to work through a layer of wax.
Clay will strip the wax either way, the only drawback will be that you'll get your bar a little clogged up in the process.

If you are going to strip wash Dawn... regular dawn... is the one to use. People mistakenly think that ALL dish soaps will strip wax, but some won't. The ones with Oil of Olay or whatever in them will more often leave a residue on the finish, so you just want plain old, regular, no frills, liquid dawn.

Originally Posted by jpf150
I did clay for the first time last year and lets just say it looked AMAZING when I was done compared to just the usual wash. This year I plan on getting a orbital polisher to take out some light scratches I may have made...I can't wait for spring/summer time!
Tell me about it. Even in SoCal right now... the days where we get sun the wind is blowing, then it drizzles 2 days later so theres been no point in detailing my stuff.... I'm ready for spring/summer to get here!!

Old 02-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Adams...I've seen a bit of the drama over clay bars, but don't know more than the fact that there is some drama going on. In your first post you said "until the end of this year"...what's going on with that?? Should I stock up on my favorite clay bar (Mothers) now??

Old 02-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Adams...I've seen a bit of the drama over clay bars, but don't know more than the fact that there is some drama going on. In your first post you said "until the end of this year"...what's going on with that?? Should I stock up on my favorite clay bar (Mothers) now??
Automagics patent runs out this year, meaning everyone (including mothers) in the US is free to sell their choice of bars. As it stands now no one has that option... but in Europe and Canada the selection of bars is huge and there are some seriously great clays out there that are just blocked from this market by AM and their patent.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I just think it is too cold here AP haha. It just gives me time to do some reading so I know what I need to buy(pads, compunds, etc.)

Old 02-10-2011, 02:27 PM
i tried clay bar and it seemed like a ton of work and that was just to remove some sap(that it didn't get off) maybe i was doing it wrong, i bought the meguires kit.

Quick Reply: Clay Bar questions.