Clay Bar questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is that something that next year we may see a huge change or influx of claybar options? Will there be major changes in design, composition, things of that nature...or will it be pretty transparent to the average guy?

Old 02-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flavtfan
i tried clay bar and it seemed like a ton of work and that was just to remove some sap(that it didn't get off) maybe i was doing it wrong, i bought the meguires kit.
Claying shouldn't be a lot of work... its relatively easy (of course it all comes down to what your definition of 'work' is when it comes to car care) In addition to pulling off sap it will remove things like rail dust, paint overspray, and all manner of hard bonded contamination from the finish.

No paint-job is immune to this stuff... unless you truck is kept indoors 24/7 it is being exposed to these types of contamination. This came off of 1 panel of a freshly washed Porsche:

Originally Posted by Galaxy
Is that something that next year we may see a huge change or influx of claybar options? Will there be major changes in design, composition, things of that nature...or will it be pretty transparent to the average guy?
Hard to say... if you're just using over the counter bars now probably not. Clays like Bilt Hamber and Ricarro available elsewhere are amazing. As far as how they function and what they do they're the same, but factors like softness, stickiness, pliability, etc all come into play to give you more user friendly or effective clays.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Don't kill me...I own a Chevy. I liked this thread so much I had to join. My problem is that I let my break pads get so low, they started to dig into the rotor, creating a lot of rail dust on both my wheel and body.

My question is: will a clay bar remove the generous amount of rail dust on the side of the truck. Rust is basically all over the driver side, especially directly behind the front wheel. Once the contaminants are removed, what is preventing the "dirty" bar from scratching the body...especially with a large amount of rust being pulled?

Old 02-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Sorry for hijacking OP but if i'm planning to wash, clay bar, paint correct then wax should I rinse in between any of these steps?

Old 02-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by tysix6
Don't kill me...I own a Chevy. I liked this thread so much I had to join. My problem is that I let my break pads get so low, they started to dig into the rotor, creating a lot of rail dust on both my wheel and body.

My question is: will a clay bar remove the generous amount of rail dust on the side of the truck. Rust is basically all over the driver side, especially directly behind the front wheel. Once the contaminants are removed, what is preventing the "dirty" bar from scratching the body...especially with a large amount of rust being pulled?
I'm not the expert here, but if I were you, I'd try it. My understanding is that the clay "absorbs" the contaminant in most cases. You should use PLENTY of lube and knead the bar ALOT to avoid marring or scratching. If you induce marring, you will just have to perform correction.

Originally Posted by BigTerp
Sorry for hijacking OP but if i'm planning to wash, clay bar, paint correct then wax should I rinse in between any of these steps?
Depends on what you want. Personally, I would only use some form of spray detailer and a quality MF b/w steps. Also depends on what kind of polish you are using though. If you create a bunch of dust, you might want to wash before your LSP.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:22 PM
so i believe i have a plan mapped out.

1. wash with regular dawn dish soap

2. clay bar

3. wash with some regular car wash soap

4. then use spray detailer to make er' really shine.

does this sound like a basic easy method? what about my chrome wheels? should i clar bar those? and i have what i think is some form of plastic chrome running down the bottom of my truck that the previous owner had installed. its high quality stuff from what i can tell, but will clay effect it? just trying to figure out what all needs to be clayed besides just the paint and windows. also what about headlights? lol i just want everything to be done properly..

Old 02-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

make sure you wax after...

Old 02-10-2011, 09:30 PM
so wax instead of just spray detailer? more work but hopefully the pay off will be sweet.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jpf150
make sure you wax after...
Can't believe it took this long for someone to post it. It didn't appear in your posts that you planned on this step. Yes, you will need to put protection (ie-wax) back on the paint after you clay it.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by mblouir
Can't believe it took this long for someone to post it. It didn't appear in your posts that you planned on this step. Yes, you will need to put protection (ie-wax) back on the paint after you clay it.
alrite i'll get it done. lol might take me a couple days. does it matter how long you wait after you clay to wax? or i could just wash with dawn in the evening and start early the next day. lol

Old 02-10-2011, 11:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DanielWalker10
alrite i'll get it done. lol might take me a couple days. does it matter how long you wait after you clay to wax? or i could just wash with dawn in the evening and start early the next day. lol
Duration doesn't matter....generally the sooner the better.

I usually do everything (wash, clean interior, etc, etc) the night before. Then bright and early the next morning I clay, polish, and wax.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by mblouir
Duration doesn't matter....generally the sooner the better.

I usually do everything (wash, clean interior, etc, etc) the night before. Then bright and early the next morning I clay, polish, and wax.
that's probably how i'll do it except my interior is ALWAYS spotless. lol i vacuum it aleast twice a week and always make sure theres no trash in it when i park for the night. lol what kind of clay, polish, and wax do you use?? im probably gunna use the adams clay bar but idk yet..

Old 02-11-2011, 01:03 AM

the clay I think I just have the megs kit. Polish, I have not researched that enough yet so I am of no help. I used the megs wax that came with the kit last time and it has held up nicely, keeps the shine when I wash it, but i have read that NXT 2.0 is a great wax. Oh and at first I thought it was assumed that you were going to wax, sorry. The spray detailer is good to use in between washes(assuming there is not like gobs of mud and stuff on it). Do you want to come clean my interior sometime?, lol. I have had no motivation what so ever to do anything about cleaning my truck since fall. It has gotten very dirty inside and out.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:06 AM

Oh and I forgot to add, about time. It took me roughly 7 hours to do a wash with car wash soap(this is with powerwashing the underside VERY good and other things to that nature), clay, and wax. To me that is not very long and doable in a day.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:45 AM
that shouldnt be too bad. i think im going to do it not this saturday, but next if the snow disappears. lol mines gettin vacuumed tomorrow, i slack up a little in bad weather cause im always playing in the truck, its just too fun gettin sideways on public roads "im sorry officer, i lost control. i thought i kept it on the road pretty good though" lol in bad weather when people say the roads would be safe if it wasnt for all those idiots out there, well im one of those idiots. lol

Quick Reply: Clay Bar questions.