read thru em all - just a different ? on black truck prep

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2001, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question read thru em all - just a different ? on black truck prep

Ok, I've read thru these posts about "what do you use on your black truck" and such.

This is my first black truck, and I love it! and I want to keep it that way, just like all of you. My question is this: When you clean your truck, what is your procedure? what do you do first? what do you put on next? and what do you finish it off with?

If ya'll don't mind, at the end of your steps, just list out what you use, no explanation as to why, just what's in your gear bag for keepin your baby lookin sharp.

Thanks in advance.

------------------
2001 Ford F150 SuperCrew XLT 4x4

- 5.4 V8
- Black/Silver two-tone
- Dark Graphite Interior with Cap'n Chairs
- Single cd stereo
- Power Moonroof
- Bed cage
- Skid plates

Future Mods:
- K&N Air filter
- Ravin' Z55 SI/DO exhaust
- speaker upgrade
- Cobra hood

Old 02-07-2001, 06:12 PM

I too have a black truck,2000 F150 Lariat. It is my second one, it was an 86. Black trucks are a pain to keep up with, but keep it shinning and nothing looks better. I use Turtle wax that come in black. It works just fine. I have tried just about every brand and kind. The only thing I was ever told is to use wax vice polish and certainly soft rags. There is alot of good companies to choose from, so I guess is experiment and find out what works best for you.

Old 02-07-2001, 06:16 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LANE:

I too have a black truck,2000 F150 Lariat. It is my second one, it was an 86. Black trucks are a pain to keep up with, but keep it shinning and nothing looks better. I use Turtle wax that come in black. It works just fine. I have tried just about every brand and kind. The only thing I was ever told is to use wax vice polish and certainly soft rags. There is alot of good companies to choose from, so I guess is experiment and find out what works best for you.
</font>
PS almost didn't answer your question. I was my truck in the shade and I use a shammee. I use mild soap bought anywhereand cold water. I then wash and dry the windows before I wax. I wax small areas at a time.

Old 02-08-2001, 01:31 PM
JDF

You are correct, that's why I said you can shop around, bunches of brands out there. My truck is a Lariat and will gather the white stuff around the decals and wheel well trim, etc. So you called it right, that is the reason.

Old 02-08-2001, 01:52 PM
Thumbs up

Zaino.

My girlfriend can apply her makeup in the finish of my black truck. And boy does she look good doing it!

------------------
* 2000 F-150 XLT Black FS; 5.4L
* 4x4 ORP
* 3.55 Limited Slip
* Stepups
* Sliding Rear Window
* 6-Way Power Seat
* Remote Keyless Entry
* Lund Trident Bug Shield
* Custom Exhaust
* Fumoto Oil Drain Plug Valve (a must for do-it-yourselfers!)
* Wise Bedrug

So many mods, so little cash! On the up side, no wife to create a filibuster.

Old 02-08-2001, 03:34 PM
braboin:

I too am using the Turtle Wax Black Color Magic on my truck. I always wash with any kind of car wash soap and then dry the truck with clean 100% cotton towels. Then I wax when the sun goes down or find some shade so the metal is relatively cool when the wax goes on. I like to wax the hood and roof every 3 months and the rest of the truck every 6 months. Some do it more often than that. I learned what not to do last month in trying to wax the truck when it was too cold outside (below 40). The wax was so hard to get off I had to use my warm breath to blow on it and then wipe quickly. The fact that there was little moisture in the air (real low humidity) probably had something to do with it too. So make sure the temperature outside is warm enough to do the job. I'd say above 55 or 60.

------------------
1999 F-150 XLT Supercab Longbed
Black/Silver, Dark graphite interior
5.4L Automatic

Additions:
* Ford molded mud flaps from local Ford dealer
* Lund Trident bug deflector from carparts.com
* Fumoto drain plug valve from fumotovalve.com

Mods:
* Superchip from Performance Products (Mike T.)
* Borla split rear exhaust from truckperformance.com
* Airaid FIPK from f150online
* Poweraid from f150online

Mods coming soon:
* JBA Headers (Jet-Black coated) from f150online

Old 02-08-2001, 05:34 PM
Deaconbug hit the nail on the head when he brought up the air temp.I made the same mistake as him. I use the Meguiars (sp?) 3 step system. The truck looks great after the first 2 steps (swirl remover and polish) then you wax it wow talk about shiny.Most of the little scratches go away when I polish it.I have very hard water here, and started polishing it after every wash (to remove the water spots) seems to be working. When it warms up (its 35 now) I am going to get some of the black turtle wax and put it on top of the meguiars.

Trending Topics

Old 02-09-2001, 12:42 AM
JDF
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

LANE,
I use the black TURTLE WAX also. It's called color magic. Works best on my wife's black altima. You see, her car does not have clear coat so the black polish is actually hitting black paint. Our trucks have clear coat so no matter what color the truck is, your waxing a clear coat not a pigmented paint. It you have minor scratches or don't like the white powder that gets in the cracks, it's still a great product to use.
I use the green stuff on my other car (it's green of course).

------------------
2001 F150 XLT SC SPORT 4X4 FLARESIDE
* Black
* Auto
* awesome factory 10 spoke 17" wheels
* "MAN"ual shift 4x4
* 3.55 Limited slip
* Captains chairs W/console
* Factory tube steps
* Slider

Old 02-26-2001, 10:42 AM
As far as washing it is concerned, stay away from the powder type car wash soaps, use a liquid or gel; sometimes the powders don't dissolve completely in cold water and end up scratching the finish. Also you may consider a wool (or synthetic wool) wash mitt, they pull the dirt particles away from the surface as you wash so you don't rub them into the paint. Work in the shade, work in sections (a quarter panel, a door, etc.) so the soap doesn't dry. To dry the truck use either a SOFT cotton towel, a chamois or a synthetic chamois; the synthetic ones are cheaper, dry soft and are a lot easier to wring out.

Most important of all: have fun.

[This message has been edited by Indyfan (edited 02-26-2001).]

Old 03-10-2001, 07:43 PM
Everyone here makes good points and I thought I'd chime in with another.

Don't use high water pressure in a concentrated stream to rinse your truck.

This can grind the dirt into the finish.....not good. I have a setting on my spray nossle called "gentle shower" ( don't laugh )and it is much lass harsh on the paint. I've owned 3 black F150s and learned the hard way!

------------------
2001 F150 SC 4X4
Lariat in Black
Short Box
ORP
5.4L
3.55 LS
Power Moonroof
Heated Captain's Chairs
Tow Package
Cab Steps
Bed-X-Tender
K&N ( homemade kit! )
Superchip soon ( Waiting for new codes to come out to reprogram my old chip )
Ordered 1-12
Delivered 3-7
Towed Bass Boat 3-8!!

Quick Reply: read thru em all - just a different ? on black truck prep