oops....thats "road stripe paint"

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2001, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy oops....thats "road stripe paint"

I drove over a freshly painted highway line (no cones or anything to warn people) and then right beside the paint truck. Needless to say, my black f150 is now covered in white specks all over the passenger side and tailgate. Enyone know of the best way to get this off? I called TxDOT and they say its a water-based paint. Surprised huh? Even more surprising was their suggestion to use wd40 to remove it. Anyone have any experience with this? Whats the best cleaner to remove it? i Have tried TarGone in a blue can and also some turtle wax tar and bug remover. both did very little in removing the spots. they almost have to be scratched off 1 by 1. anyways, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-21-2001, 08:04 PM
Water based! Not sure about what they might use there in Tx but here in Fl it's actually not paint but rather a melted solid (thermoplast). They heat up this material and spray it on hot. When it cools it re-solidifies and adheres to the pavement. This happens rapidly so as not cause the problem you encountered. I have even seen water sprayed on the stripes by a second vehicle to speed up the hardening. I always avoid those "road stripers" at ALL costs! Removing each spec one at a time may be your only hope. Best of luck to you!

------------------
Y2K Oxford White XLT S.C., V6, Auto, FoMoCo Mud Flaps, Lund Bugflector, Tinted windows, Auxillary BU lights, 2x55W DRL, UNGO Keyless entry, FoMoCo/Duraliner bedliner

Old 02-21-2001, 08:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If they said WD-40, use WD-40. If that doesn't take it off, call them again and tell them it didn't work, and see what else they recommend. I'm sure that if they're suggesting it, they've undoubtedly recommended it to others before. Let us know what you find to work.

-Joe-

Old 02-21-2001, 08:29 PM
well i have tried the wd40 and it didn't seem to do much good. i managed to get a good bit of it off with a washcloth and soap and a little elbow grease. also sprayed some bug and tar remover on it and i think that helped itsoften up a little. i'll probably give it another try this weekend when i have more time. someone has considered the clay bar. anyone have any opinions on that before i go buy one?

Old 02-21-2001, 08:48 PM
i get that on my semi once in a while and it always comes off with a pressure washer, just have to get kinda close but it will all come off. that works for texas paint by the way, had it there a few weeks ago in Pecos on I-20. even if its on there a few weeks, it always comes off.

Old 02-21-2001, 08:50 PM
u might have to wet sand it off

Old 02-22-2001, 05:11 PM
Hmm i had this happen to my first truck ford ranger the neighbors painted their house arrg!
I would get some rubbing compound and try and GENTLY rub it out it will wor!K

------------------
97 F150 Longbed V8 4.6
K&N air filter
K&N FIPK tech MOD & removed elbow silencer
Hyper white xenon bulbs
Bedliner and raven shell
6 disc cd changer
Oil & filter used

Gasoline used

My Truck

Trending Topics

Old 02-22-2001, 07:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey, Moose, if your neighbors caused the damage, I would have mad a claim under their homeowner's insurance for it! There's no reason it should have cost you a dime for their screwup! I'm off-topic.... they should've fixed it for you.

-Joe-

Old 02-23-2001, 09:08 AM
Meguiar's System WITH a Clay Bar

But actually I'd do the insurance claim, then take it to the best Hot Rod detailer in town and SOCK IT TO THEM.

Wet sand (color sand) may be necessary too

Old 02-26-2001, 10:26 AM
I've done this twice already, on my customer's cars. First try the clay bar, follow the instructions and use plenty of lubricant; that should take most (if not all of it off). If there's any paint spots left try something called "Goof Off", it's a paint and glue remove (VERY STRONG STUFF). Put a little bit on a rag and wipe at the paint spots, then rinse off the area quickly. If you use the Goof Off you'll have to polish the area (FINE polish or glaze) and re-apply your regular wax.
Rubbing compound will just smooth over the top of the paint spots and sanding is absolutely the LAST RESORT. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Indyfan (edited 02-26-2001).]

Old 03-08-2001, 01:43 AM
I read about this (in one of the truck magazines a while back) happening to some guy in new york and he actually got his truck repainted.

Quick Reply: oops....thats "road stripe paint"