Mirror scratches

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2000, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Mirror scratches

Some paint fogged into the air at a nearby worksite settled on my truck. I suppose buffing will remove it but I scraped it off my glass with a razor blade. In doing so, I scratched my side mirror glass. Is there any way of polishing it off?

Old 08-03-2000, 10:35 AM
Are you trying to remove the scratches from the mirror or the rest of the overspray from the truck?

------------------
1999 Lariat Super Cab, S.B. 5.4L, 3.55 LS
and everything but the leaky slider window.
Bright red w/ gold 2-tone, Leather Captain's Chairs
Mods: Duraliner bedliner, Bugflector II, Hide-a-hooks.
& a leeetle chrome tip on the exhaust.

Old 08-03-2000, 11:51 PM
I only cleaned the paint from the mirrors and other glass. I wouldn't do that to the paint. The rest of the glass is fine but I scratched a mirror. Is there any way to get rid of the scratches caused by the razor blade scraper?

Old 08-04-2000, 10:17 AM
Try Meguires glass polish. It may take some elbow grease.

Good Luck

Old 08-06-2000, 02:13 AM
Bartruth, try a clay product to remove overspray on paint, mirrors, or glass. I detailed my neighbors truck the other day and he had green paint overspray all over his new truck and has no idea how it got there. We have a glass polish in my lineup of products called Z-12 Glass Polish, and our clay product is called Z-18. I am really close to you if you want to come up and I will work on your truck for free to see if I can help out. I live just the other side of Trimble.

------------------
Tennessee Zaino Show Car Polish Distributor
www.zainobros.com

Old 08-06-2000, 02:19 PM
Thanks Kevin. At the present moment we are waiting for the city to take action on cleaning our vehicles, many are worse than mine. I only wanted to try to salvage my mirror for now. E-mail me with your phone number if you wish in case I need to take care of it myself. Thanks.

Old 08-07-2000, 02:25 AM
The Webmaster has informed me I can not post here anymore, but not to leave you hanging, your email is not visible, but mine is koverall@i40.net, a word of caution, chances are the city of Dyersburg wont know jack about clay bar technology, if they buff your truck your paint could be ruined forever, I would handle it myself, like I said if you come up I will show you how.

------------------
Tennessee Zaino Show Car Polish Distributor
www.zainobros.com

Trending Topics

Old 08-09-2000, 10:53 AM
On your mirror scratches, try toothpaste. Yes, toothpaste. It is a very fine polish and I use it all the time to get scratches out of watches, glass, and even plastics. Put a small amount on your fingertip and apply it in circles just like you would hand waxing a car. Works wonders.

On the overspray, Before you clay bar or buff or anything like that, try a small area with tar and bug remover. Wash your truck and get all the dirt off. Put some tar and bug remover on a soft cloth and see if it will take the overspray off. If it does,(it normally will) then use it on the whole truck making sure to turn the rag frequently. It will take off all your wax, but it won't make any swirl marks or take about half the thickness of your clearcoat off that buffing would.

------------------
Boss™

Just Ordered 2001 F-150 Lariat, Oxford White/Silver 4x4, medium graphite leather, SC, SB, SS, 99L 5.4L, 44E tran, 7700# payload, Class III Tow, 3.73LS, Skids, Capts chairs, 4W disc ABS, shift-on-fly, keyless, HD everything
Planned Mods:
"Protected by Smith&Wesson" sticker, Westin Chromed Stainless Nerf Bars, ARE LS II bed cover, Bedrug™, Gibson Swept Side Cat Back, K&N filter w/airbox mods, headers, Superchip, 3" body lift with at least 33's, alarm/pager/auto start system, stereo system

Old 08-11-2000, 01:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe JC whitney still sells a glass polishing kit. this contains cerrium oxide
and a buffing wheel that you put in a drill.
Dealers use it too,for removing wiper scratches from windshields. good luck on the
scratches.

------------------
98 XLT 4.6 litre f150
genII K/N fipk
B/M shiftplus
dual exhaust w/Gibson rectangle tips
Snuglid/color matched
Kenwood cd/aftermarket speakers.sub on the way
slowly getting rid of chrome front pieces(yuck)
door cracks,roof cracks,out of warranty,oh
hell. you think if I weld
the third door shut it'll
stop the cracks?????

Old 09-10-2000, 10:45 AM
Question

Can someone tell me how to remove a scratch
it's on the outside of the bed . The scratch
is about 3" long very thin ?

------------------
2000 XLT SPORT FLARESIDE SC SB LS 4.6 AUTO, SILVER,
WOOD DASH KIT,
SPEED GRILLE,
FORD DURALINER,
PREMIUM AM/FM/CASS
WITH 6 DISK CD CHANGER.

Old 09-27-2000, 11:09 AM
2 quick thoughts, I have seen a lot of F150's and it appears to me the mirror coating on the side mirrors is very thin and you probably will do more harm than good trying to remove a scratch. Second if you have scratched the paint on the body and the scratch is in the clear-coat, a light cleaner wax should remove, but if the scratch is into the primer, you better reach for the touch-up bottle or some sort of colored wax to hide it.

------------------
99 F250 LD 4X4 5.4 XLT

Mods: K/N FIPK, Bedliner, Toolbox, Ventshades, Deflector, Tube Steps

Quick Reply: Mirror scratches