Heated garage in Winter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-1999, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Heated garage in Winter?

Living in Ohio, the winters can get quite cold. My concern is....will this change in temperature, and going from cold outside to warm inside the garage cause my truck(and car, for that matter) to corrode from condensation? Can it also cause water to form in the fuel tank? Can it cause other problems, also? I don't keep the garage very warm when not actually using it...just warm enough so that things do not freeze. But I don't want my "baby" to freeze!!!

Any thoughts or suggestions??

------------------
2000 F-150,XLT,Bright Red Clearcoat, 4x4,ORP,SC,4-speed auto., 5.4L, 3.55 LS,Tow Package, Ford factory Tonneau cover, Cab Rails, Lund Bug Shield, Mudflaps, Tennatoys 18" antenna, Pendaliner bedliner. Asking Santa for K&N air filter and Superchip

Old 12-18-1999, 09:05 PM
Mooner, since you have a garage I bet you have a wall outlet also. Why don't you set a timer for example three hours or four hours
period for a portable heater, get the one with the shut off feature when tilt over.
That should keep your "baby" warm.

Old 12-18-1999, 10:54 PM
I don't know if the garage hurts it but I can't imagine not having my truck in one during the winter. Not only does it get to start semi-warm in the morning but I can also wash and shammy it in below frezing weather. The worst thing about winter for trucks is the salt. Keep it clean!

I'll stick to the garage!

------------------
'97 F150 Lariat, Flareside, white/sliver, SC, ORP, 5.4 (FQR 8/99) running Mobil 1
Mods: 305/70/16 GY ATS, AR Baja wheels, dual exhaust, Smittybilt Nerf Bars, Edelbrock IAS Shocks, K&N Filter, Carbon Fiber Bug Gaurd and rigged the fog lights too.

Old 12-19-1999, 09:23 AM
Mooner
I don't think you will have any problems, just be thankfull you have a heated garage.If your concerned about water in the fuel system, just keep you tank full of gas.
Where I live I have underground parking, but it is not heated.At least if it snows out overnight I don't have to clear a ton of snow off my baby.
-------------------- http://sites.netscape.net/dhco/pic

Old 12-19-1999, 07:07 PM
Mooner, Keep the fuel tank above half full, and good insurance is to use a bottle of Heet when you fill up. Being in a heated garage overnight should dry off any metal surface so going back out will not cause any problems. I keep my garage at 50f and it works out ok.

Old 12-21-1999, 03:42 PM
Lightbulb

Having a heated garage in the winter is very nice but there is one downfall. When you park your truck for the night and it is full of salt the heat in the garage will act as a catalyst and speed up the corrosion/rusting capabilities of salt. It's one of those things that you have to weigh out the pro's and con's to. Personally i'd rather park in the garage, I'm constantly washing my truck in the winter to get the salt of and if you keep up on the waxing then you shouldn't have any problems. As far as the condensation, I've never had aproblem with this, I don't use products like Heet either but that's just my opinion! I've lived in Minnesota all my life so I know exactly where you're coming from! Stay warm, -ZR

------------------
98' F-150, Off Road, Short Box, Blue, 4.6, K&N, Auto, Captain Chairs, Dual Exhaust
Alpine CD Player, (2) 10" Rockford Fosgate Subwoofers and a big ol' Arctic Cat
sticker on the rear sliding window!!!!! Soon to be chipped!!!

Old 12-21-1999, 03:50 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Speaking of garages, I have a rich sister-in-law in Boca Raton Florida. Her garage and several others I saw there were carpeted.

What's up with that?

Old 12-21-1999, 06:56 PM
Cool

I put in Epoxy floors. We do a lot of garage floors, and I mean A LOT. We've done everything from clear coatings at $0.25 to $0.50 a square foot to colored quartz sand at $6 a square foot. We've even put college logos in garage floors. I guess some people are just willing to spend that kind of money on their garage. In fact, we're going to philadelphia, PA from Nashville, TN just after the first of the year for a guys new garage.

------------------
BigBunnell

98 F150 4X4 XLT flareside V6 5sp K&N Flowmaster and some other goodies

Old 12-22-1999, 06:10 PM
Cool

Mooner, You are right about the condensation being an issue to be concerned about. The good thing is that cold air doesn't hold nearly as much moisture as warm air does. Since you don't keep your garage real warm putting your truck in it won't hurt it and it sure beats keepin it outside where it's even colder. Does you garage have a floor drain and enough room to spray the salt and grime from the under side? It is always good to remove that crap every chance you get.
I park my truck in my basement garage, it never gets colder than 40degrees even when it is below zero outside, there will be condensation on it for about half an hour after pulling in, then it evaporates off. If there is salt and sand on it I like to spray it off, I only spray the underside in the garage, spraying the body makes a mess from the water splattering. Unfortunately my F-150 has been sitting out the last few nights, the Ranger is in the garage while I'm rebuilding the engine, hopfully the F-150 will get it's parking place back by Christmas.

------------------
Michael
99f150@pickupman.com
mkrieger@mailcity.com
99 F-150 XLT Supercab, 4x2, Bright Red/Harvest Gold, 4.2L, Automatic, 3.55LS, 255/70R16 Goodyears, Captains Chairs, Keyless Entry, CD Changer, Tow Package

Accessories: SuperChip, Donnelly Compass Mirror, Lariat Wheelwell Moldings and Bumper Cap, Ford Splash Guards, Bug Shield, Bed Mat, WeatherTech Deflectors, Mobil1 Synthetic Oil

Modifications: Painted Tailgate Handle, A/C on/off switch

Old 12-22-1999, 09:23 PM
mkrieger,
Thanks for the info. Yes, my garage does have a floor drain, so I can wash the underside of the truck...and I do each time I wash it...at least twice a week. I hate to see a dirty chassis! Anyway, I think I'll be OK as long as I don't keep the garage too warm in winter months, and I have noticed that the condensation does evaporate after a short while when pulling in from the cold.
BTW, I noticed from your profile that you are a woodworker, also. What type do you do? Specialize in anything particular? What was your most recent project?
Thanks again.

Old 12-25-1999, 09:09 PM
Cool

Mooner, Yes I do enjoy woodworking, unfortunately I don't get to do as many projects as I would like, not enough time.
Also my woodshop and truck garage occupy the same space, so sometimes things can be awkward. I build whatever I want or need or what somebody else close wants, some projects have been a bed to match my dresser, an oak stereo cabinet, a computer desk and bookshelves for the niece and nephews, many clocks and other small projects. I would consider the router my most usefull tool, which tool do you consider the most useful?
My most recent project which I just finished yesterday was a shelving unit to fit in an otherwise useless corner of a bathroom that I am constructing in a friends basement. The shelving unit is 26" deep 16" wide with 5 shelves on slides to make it easy to access anything that is stored on them.
So, what kinds of projects do you enjoy? Have you made anything for your truck? I have wood sideboard for my Ranger, and I hope to make a set of sideboards for my F-150 too. Just been having a hard time coming up with the perfect design to compliment the F-150's styling.

------------------
Michael
99f150@pickupman.com
mkrieger@mailcity.com
99 F-150 XLT Supercab, 4x2, Bright Red/Harvest Gold, 4.2L, Automatic, 3.55LS, 255/70R16 Goodyears, Captains Chairs, Keyless Entry, CD Changer, Tow Package

Accessories: SuperChip, Donnelly Compass Mirror, Lariat Wheelwell Moldings and Bumper Cap, Ford Splash Guards, Bug Shield, Bed Mat, WeatherTech Deflectors, Mobil1 Synthetic Oil

Modifications: Painted Tailgate Handle, A/C on/off switch

[This message has been edited by mkrieger (edited 12-25-1999).]

Old 12-25-1999, 10:10 PM
Thumbs up

In Eagle River, Wi., I keep mine set at 62.!!!!! And its fine!.

------------------
2000f150 Lariat Supercab Flareside 4X4 Black 5.4 engine Leather Captains 3.55 Limited-slip and all the goodies, just ordered,traded my 99 f250 superduty Lariat V-10. Wife drives a 98 Navigator 4X4. Had a 97 Lariat 4x4 supercab Just ordered a lightning front and rear bumper,power tube,K&N filter,makin a 4X4 Harley ......... Toy: 91 Heritage Softtail Classic/lowered and chromed..................[img]//www.f150online.com/fordnews/harley1.jpg[/img]

Old 12-30-1999, 07:05 PM
Question

Raoul
It's common practice down here in the sunshine state to carpet the garage since we
save all that money on heating bills (although our air condition bills do add up). The
problem I found with carpet is that it holds the water after driving in the rain (liquid
sunshine) so I replaced my carpet with marble (dark of course in case the baby drips
anything after her oil change). The only problem I have with the marble, is coming
in during a rain (liquid sunshine) I have a tendency to slide on through the garage
wall and into the dining room (gets the wife upset). Any suggestions?

Old 01-18-2000, 06:11 PM
Exclamation

Well, we put a nonskid texture in epoxy on garage floors

Quick Reply: Heated garage in Winter?