Black trucks suck!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black trucks suck!!

I've had my 05 black screw fx4 for about a month now and im already getting burnt out on cleaning it. I had a dsg fx4 before this and i could clean it once and for 2 weeks it would look great. I have to clean my black fx4 everyday now. Everytime i clean it 30 minutes later there is dust all over it. I live in the city so its not like there is dirt roads or anything. What do you guys with black trucks do to keep your truck clean without having to clean it every day. I have been cleaning it everyday with the Turtle wax ice spray and that stuff is not cheap. I bought a dusting wand from autozone thinking that would help. Nope just smears it around. I also have to spray the truck down with water and dry it before i spray the turtle wax on and wipe off because it seems like the black paint scratches really easy if i just clean it with all the dust and dirt on there.
Also i guess it doesnt help when my truck is completely blacked out, wheels, handles, trim, decals, emblems, etc.
Sorry for venting im just really frustrated.

Last edited by fx4tough07; 09-06-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:56 PM
me, I added a blk 08 screw truck to the stable of;
- blk 03 terminator
- blk 69 Mach 1
- blk 05 GT

Yes - I'm developing a case of OCD.................

Old 09-06-2009, 02:22 PM
Unfortunately, there's no tricks to keeping black clean. Simply put, black is a pita. I might be a little over consciences with trying to keep mine clean but I always think about which way I'm going to go to get to a certain point. Which way will be the least dusty today? Same with parking, if lots of traffic will be driving by when I'm parked well then that's going to equate to more dust! Are my neighbors mowing their grass today? Keep it in the garage w/the door closed. You get my point.

I also use Megs Gold Class Shampoo and dry w/a waffle weave towel weekly. Clay bar, Megs speed glaze 80 w/pc, and black pads (blk pads work good for me since my paint has minimal swirls in it). Followed by Megs Carnuba wax and then Megs QD. This process for me has kept my truck looking good. I've done many other procedures on it which I have learned here which I also contribute to my truck looking the way it does today, 50 months old and 4 winters later.

Do a search in the care and detailing section. Read the sticky too. There's lots of guys on here that know thier chit when it comes to cleeaning and detailing. I know just enough to be dangerous

Old 09-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The price you pay for having a dark colored truck, I know it sucks I'm not black but dark green and its really hard to keep it looking clean

Old 09-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea theres really not a whole lot you can do...black just shows everything, that's why the owners are diagnosed with OCD...This is like the 3rd or 4th post this week complainin of black trucks haha

Old 09-06-2009, 04:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I bought my truck there were two trucks left in the model year with the large discount. One black and one red, I went with the red for exactly that reason... I still clean my truck almost daily...

Old 09-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Black is rough. I have an '02 Escape in black that shows everything. Thankfully it's on the smaller side. Years ago I worked in a detail shop where the owner insisted on everything getting a final coat of Simoniz (yes, that hard paste wax in the yellow can your mom used to use on the floors!). I had to do one of those Dodge MaxiVans, the kind the carpet layers used to get because they could carry a 12' roll of carpet in them. After 3-4 hours of work, I thought I was done and backed the truck out of the bay. In direct sunlight it became immediately noticeable that I wasn't nearly done! It was all hazy and dull still. Several hours and towels later, and it was presentable. I swore I'd never own a black vehicle but have had 4 since then.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:58 PM

idk if u have ever thought of this, but i have to park my truck outside and we live around all the ranches n junk. i got sick of cleanin my black SCREW so often as well so i invested in a cover. my trucks parked outside alot, during the wind at night and everything and with the cover on i clean alotttt less often. and sure a nice cover is kinda pricey (200+) but imagine the 3 hours a week u save cleanin ha

Old 09-06-2009, 10:47 PM
The only sketchy thing I find sketchy about covers is the possible scratches that can come from the rubbing of putting it on and taking it off.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:04 AM
The reward is worth the punishment...

Nothing like a clean, well shined Black vehicle.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:19 AM
But, it's SO worth it when you go somewhere and your truck looks phenomenal and someone says, "nice lookin' truck you got there."

There's nothing like like a nice lookin' black truck

Old 09-07-2009, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by ELVATO
The only sketchy thing I find sketchy about covers is the possible scratches that can come from the rubbing of putting it on and taking it off.
very true, some covers can do this. witha nice cover tho u wont have this problem. i never see any hazing or swirl marks in my black paint. the pain is to get it on by urself.. it takes time

Old 09-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Ahhh.... the advantages of having a white truck! J/K, I feel ur pain, the wife just got a black Rodeo, and man is that thing a pita to keep clean. I'm probably going to wax it for her this week, it needs it bad. That's one reason why I like my white truck, pretty easy to keep her clean. It's not the color I chose, that's all that was pretty much available in an empty, no frills work truck, but now I'm glad that's all there was to choose from.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
You gotta love a truck the color of dirt ...

Old 09-07-2009, 11:23 AM
My motto has always been "BLACK LOOKS GREAT WHEN SOMEONE ELSE OWNS IT"!!!! I've owned 1 black vehicle many moons ago and swore never again and that was 1988.

Quick Reply: Black trucks suck!!