Best wax for an all white truck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 01:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best wax for an all white truck?

I have seen a lot of threads for darker colors. Does anyone have a preference for white? I'm looking for shine and durability for the inland Northwest. I just bought this 2006 F150 Supercrew and have put two coats of wax on it by hand, then used a buffer for removal. I think it was Black Magic (Black and red bottle paste wax in a late edition of Consumer Reports). I have used Zymol in the past on my old truck; smelled good, looked good, but didn't last very long.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:08 AM
If you get a lot of sun (I don't think NW USA does) it will burn off just about every wax brand there is on the market. I like the carnauba wax for all colors. It really brings out the true color and will fill in any minor scratches in the clearcoat. You may have to put on 2 coats to get a really superior shine. Turtle Wax makes it and so do other companies. You local auto store should carry it. Have fun......

Old 08-29-2009, 10:23 AM
One problem with white is that there is no color to really show up. I think is why you seldom hear people talk about making white "pop". Personally, I'd stick with NXT 2.0 as a under coat and then top it off with something like Megs #26. Both of these can be found locally.

If you want something that lasts longer you can try topping off with a Colinite wax or Megs #16 (see other thread on Megs #16). These are carnuba waxes that are much harder but their gloss might not be as good. It's usually a trade off between longevity and durability.

Carnuba wax does not have fillers, so it won't hid scratches. NXT is a sealer that does contain fillers.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:33 AM
I would do the opposite. Base with a good carnuba and top with a synthetic for longevity.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:20 AM
esf
A good all around wax is Obsessive Detail's Wet Obsession. It provides a great look on all colors and will last you 6-8 weeks. I've personally seen more out of it but on average it's 6-8 weeks. However, a good looking vehicle is all in the prep work and has little to do with the wax being used.

That said, here is a picture I borrowed from Obsessive Detail's website.

http://www.obsessivedetail.com/Customerrides.html

Another route you could take it to try a glaze prior to waxing. It will also help to hide any minor imperfections. Something like Poorboy's White Diamond Glaze (designed for white, lighter colored paints) in conjunction with PB's EX-P and one of PB's Natty's waxes.

EDIT- For the record, I would use a sealant prior to a carnauba to help get the best bonding to the paint possible.

Last edited by esf; 08-29-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
collinite 845 Used it on my truck 6 months ago and to this day it still beads like no other and the surface is nice and smooth to the touch. And thats sitting in 100-105 degree texas sun

Old 08-29-2009, 11:46 PM
I like Megs 26 paste on my Oxford white XLT. I hear really good things about Danase Wet Glaze on white vehicles over or under your favorite carnauba. The Collinite products do seem to be very good- I have to get me some.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like others have said, Ford's Oxford White is a great color for lots of reasons like hot weather, hiding minor imperfections, etc. On the other hand, it's extermely difficult to make "pop" like darker colors. I should know - I'm on my 7th Oxford White Ford truck.

So what do I use / recommend? ESF (as usual) has given you some good advice that I agree with completely. Personally I like the look and durabilty of Zaino on my trucks. I sometimes top it with Collonite 845 to give it a touch more depth. In the end though, it's all personal preference.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:34 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
have put two coats of wax on it by hand, then used a buffer for removal.
You have that backwards.

My suggestion is Megs NXT 2.0, and a wipedown with Megs Ultimate Quick Detailer after every wash job.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:40 AM
I just did a 08 Civic SI in white and it looked great. Started off with #205 then Danase Wet Glaze, cured 18 hrs (got dark and the girl came back next afternoon) Washed the car with ONR the applied Wet Obssesion by hand. The car looked good before the WO but looked even better after.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:11 PM
Yea, I have to admit, a glaze followed by Wet Obsession does give one hell of a shine. I don't know about you, but I've found the effect of a glaze to be fairly temporary though.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:18 AM
I agree thats why I try to put an LSP over it.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Thanks, all. 05SuperCrew, I really hate taking care of dark paint and especially hate black, but I gotta say your truck looks awesome. You could a door for a mirror to shave in!

Old 09-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by AJC629
Thanks, all. 05SuperCrew, I really hate taking care of dark paint and especially hate black, but I gotta say your truck looks awesome. You could a door for a mirror to shave in!
Thank you, I never wanted a black truck either but when I bought it it was either Black or Dark Stone with the options we wanted and the wife and I both liked Black better. After detailing black nothing looks better.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:51 PM
I didn't have any pictures handy when this post first came up, but I do now. Here's one I posted up in The Detailer's Cafe recently. It's a shot of the left front fender of my 2005 truck with 78,000 miles on it. Yes, the truck has been very well cared for, but it's a truck and it works. There's absolutely no fillers or glaze used here. The shot was taken after Poor Boy's SSR 1 was applied using my PC (with a finishing pad), then followed with Zaino Z2 Pro. I think you'll have to agree it shines pretty darn nice.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e6...eflection1.jpg

Quick Reply: Best wax for an all white truck?