Sunday's project...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 01:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunday's project...

I will be detailing the station's 200? F-350 PSD brush truck (aka Brush-32) and possibly the paint on Engine-32... Pics to come...

Plan of attack:
Make rookie wash it with whatever he/she chooses
APC+ on engine and such
HD the engine
clay
S-X or SSR 3 on deep scratches (yellow pad)
#80 x as much as necessary with yellow Megs pad
#9 (yellow pad)
#7 (by hand)
#21 (black finishing pad... SO!O system baby!)
#26 (Black finishing pad... SO!0 system pads RULE)
#34 F.I.
HD on tires/wheelwells/etc
make rookie buff out the diamond plate and polished aluminum
Stoners on glass
enjoy!

Sound like fun?!

Will post more about this one later.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:33 AM
I'm lookin forward to seeing it. How exactly does the SOLO system work. I was going to pick up some free pads back at a megs open garage but I saw they were for the solo system, so I figured it didn't work with my G110.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by andrewc_11890
I'm lookin forward to seeing it. How exactly does the SOLO system work. I was going to pick up some free pads back at a megs open garage but I saw they were for the solo system, so I figured it didn't work with my G110.
I dunno... something to the effect of using on e system of products for everything I think. I just use SO!0 pads because they work better IMO. You know how LC pads have the different shapes to them? That's essentially why I like the SOLO stuff. The diamond cut pad shape allows better control of product. Typically, you use the whole system and you would have a rotary, but the diamond pads work GREAT with the G100 (so they should be fine with the G110)

FWIW, some of Brad's (RP) friends have also done the same as me with excellent results.

Also, I noticed the other day that people may not understand what pads I am using-- the SO!0 system uses different colors... I only have the polishing and finishing, but polishing are yellow and finishing are black. I believe the the 8006 pads are the same color, but the 9006 are tan if I am not mistaken... w/e.

Yeah... I took the brush mudding this morning after an EMS call, so tomorrow will be fun...

Old 08-16-2008, 10:42 PM
Oh so you actually attach them to your G100 backing plate? Interesting. I know the colors you are talking about cause I could have had some, shoot I wish I would have taken them. I believe the SO!0 system colors are the same as the new washable ones (not positive but i think they may be)

Old 08-16-2008, 11:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
have fun, looking forward to seeing the results

Old 08-18-2008, 03:19 PM
... the project is postponed still due to rain... Whenever it stops, I start. Yes, we have bays, but when it rains, we run calls left and right...

Sorry for the weather delay. Nothing I could do...

Old 08-18-2008, 04:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bummer. Mother nature ticks all the car detailers off here & there.

Trending Topics

Old 08-18-2008, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Bummer. Mother nature ticks all the car detailers off here & there.
Well, yes and no... Yes, i would have liked to get the job done, but it did free up my Sunday to go clubbin' and today to get other stuff done and chill with some friends... Tomorrow is my class B driving test, so unfortunately the engine wont be looking its best for the test (wow, that rhymed... )

Just after I got mine detailed though, I took it to go play in Dallas and Trophy club... Needless to say, it is dirty, trail scarred, and is ready for another buffer massage...

Rain has ups and downs: It sucks for all the people that get in wrecks. But it keeps me in a job. In the span of less than 5 miles, I ran 3 wrecks on the freeway (for those of you familiar with my neck of the woods, I was headed East on 820, between HWY 156 and 35W... Then 35W Northbound had its own drama...

Old 08-19-2008, 09:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmm...my VFD station has a sexy 2006-ish F-550 PSD with a 300 gal/hr pump used mainly as a fast attack vehicle. I live 4 miles from the station, and the driver lives down the road. Once all these damn storms pass, I might give a shot on it and see what I can do to it. It is a very pretty truck and I WANT TO DRIVE IT SO BAD!!

Our last meeting we have been just fueling up the trucks, and topping off the tanker (2000 Freightliner- 3,000 gallons) and generators for the upcoming storms we are expecting. The biggest problem we face is broken branches and road blockages. So I've got my truck loaded with chains and saws. Can't wait to hear that familiar tone for a station 32 call

Last edited by Raptor05121; 08-19-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
Hmm...my VFD station has a sexy 2006-ish F-550 PSD with a 300 gal/hr pump used mainly as a fast attack vehicle. I live 4 miles from the station, and the driver lives down the road. Once all these damn storms pass, I might give a shot on it and see what I can do to it. It is a very pretty truck and I WANT TO DRIVE IT SO BAD!!

Our last meeting we have been just fueling up the trucks, and topping off the tanker (2000 Freightliner- 3,000 gallons) and generators for the upcoming storms we are expecting. The biggest problem we face is broken branches and road blockages. So I've got my truck loaded with chains and saws. Can't wait to hear that familiar tone for a station 32 call
HOLY ****!!! I'm station 32 also... Blue Mound!

Yeah, we use our Brush for fast attack, EMS, and obviously grass fires... (and of course going to eat... ). I'm still waiting for rain to quit. But since we are going to live fire training with both trucks Friday and sat, I am going to buckle down and do both of them before that. wierd... we also have a friehgliner, but ours is 90's...

SUCKA! I'm a driver for STA32... I've got my class B, so I am one of the 5-6 that can drive anything we've got...

Anywho... I'll make you a deal-- you send me a shirt from your FD and I'll send you one from ours... Shoot me off an email to finish this last part off... ( navyguy@swbell.net )

Old 08-22-2008, 04:35 PM
Okay, I'm done. Pics later tonight or on Monday.

NOTE: Paint correction was NOT meant to be perfect-- I just tried to get it looking *better* than before...

Process:
1-2 passes of #80 with a yellow polishing pad on a PC
NXT
Engine bay got APC+ and HD
tires kinda got done with the station's silicone solvent dressing (YUCK!)
that was enough to wear me out... 92* plus humidity in station pants, t-shirt, plus nice button down... = HOT!!!

Note also that the other guys at the station didnt want to help anong in any phase of this detail-- not even the waxing... (Insert string of curse words here)

tomorrow is Live fire training, Sunday is Extrication training at the local community college... YAY!!! We're gonna look better than EVERYONE out there...

FWIW, the trucks are routinely washed with a nasty nylon brush and some ridiculous concentrate soap+wax... towels to dry it with are cheaper than cheap. I'd rather be using red shop rags... That said, the effects on the paint are HORRENDOUS...

Old 08-25-2008, 10:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pics????????

Old 08-25-2008, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by keith_bennett
Pics????????
camera was acting up... BUT... I'm uploading as I type... Give me an hour.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:34 PM
Been an hour....

Old 08-26-2008, 01:45 PM
Ok you left me no choice here.......

Quick Reply: Sunday's project...