Clay bar or Liquid Clay Bar?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 09:26 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PawPaw
As far as I can remember Clay Magic was the original clay bar, good to know they are still around. They are hard to find around these part's. I first tried them out about 20 year's ago when I got some overspray on my '84 150. To me the Clay Magic worked the best.
That's correct. They have the patent. All the other companies pay royalties or are having theirs made by them...

Old 04-20-2008, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockPick
That's correct. They have the patent. All the other companies pay royalties or are having theirs made by them...
I believe the PB clay is by claymagic.

They feel the same to me.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:39 PM
Just my 2 cents worth here. I usually like to try things out for myself and make up my own mind about the product and consider if it will work for me. I did a side by side test with Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit and Turtle Wax's Liquid Clay Bar Ice. I follow the instructions to the letter for both products. The paint surface on the Liquid Clay Bar side was not as smooth (meaning contaminants were still present). I then went back and used the Meguiar's Clay Bar on the Liquid Clay Bar side. I was amazed at how much it was able to pick up after using a product that claimed to do the same thing. In my opinion, the Liquid Clay Bar is a far inferior product and simply does not compare to a true clay bar like Meguiar's, Mother's or any other clay bar. Here is the Meguiar's bar after going over the freshly done Liquid Clay Car side :

Old 04-24-2008, 06:24 PM
Moderator &

Just to add a tidbit -- as I'm a tidbit kind of guy --

The whole 'liquid clay bar' thing has actually been around for quite a long time. Only recently did TW decide to bottle it and sell it to a 'consumer-level' group.

I believe it was Diamondite that had this product out on the market first... My P&B supply shop had it out one day when I was in there. He doesn't sell it but mentioned that one of his customers told him about it and thus, he had to buy a bottle to see what it was all about. He had just tried it on his 'newer' Toyota Camary (white). He was embarassed to show me but, we went out and looked at an area that he had said he had treated -- the long and short was that you could still see very small rusty spots (presumably, oxidizing metal embedded in the clear).

Like Chris mentioned, the 'tried and true' is probably the best way to go with things right now...

Any brand will do... just stick with clay... not liquid.

I should caveat that statement with any MILD clay will do... aggressive clay is a pretty unique beast... scary to me, in fact. It's not kind to paint.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:43 PM
If anyone is having trouble finding clay bar in any of your local stores, you can also order it from a number of on-line retailers. I buy 8 oz clay bar from Adam's Polishes, along with Adam's excellent detail spray.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:11 PM
glc
Received 769 Likes on 710 Posts
Now, is anyone willing to do a test and review of that body sponge as compared to clay?

Please don't just tell me it's crap and don't use it. I've heard that enough around here. I'd like some personal first hand insight. If I had a beater to play with, I'd try it myself, but I don't.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:25 PM
Clay bar works exactly as it claimed to work. It is cheap to buy. Why use something else when clay bar does everything it is supposed to do?

I have not heard of the body sponge, so, of course I have not used it. I just wonder what it can do that a clay bar cannot do?

Once I find something that works really, really well, I tend to stop looking for 'something better'. That's just me.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:02 PM
Moderator &

The 'sponge' thing isn't new either - although, it's only really been a 'detailer' product for a short while. Before the introduction of this sponge, it was called a grout sponge... that's right, like the one you could buy at Home Depot or Lowes.

Boss, can you comment here? I've only read raves and rips - with very few mediocre comments.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:43 PM
Suspended
The 'sponge' thing isn't new either - although, it's only really been a 'detailer' product for a short while. Before the introduction of this sponge, it was called a grout sponge... that's right, like the one you could buy at Home Depot or Lowes.
Are you talking about using a grout sponge to wash the vehicle? I thought we were talking about claying a vehicle. I'm confused. I would never use a grout sponge to wash a vehicle, maybe the wheels and tires. A grout sponge doesn't have nearly the amount of "nap" that is needed to wash paint.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Moderator &

Hmm... maybe I misspoke a tad. It was my understanding that the grout sponge trick/use was supplemental to clay...

Maybe, because I discounted it so readily as something that I'd almost never ever try, I misunderstood... off to autopia for me.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:51 PM
Moderator &

Yep... I think I was a tad confused. I believe what I was thinking about was the thing that Leo has sold for a while... I think it's called a Magic Cube or something like that?

-RP-

Old 04-24-2008, 10:18 PM
Yep... I think I was a tad confused. I believe what I was thinking about was the thing that Leo has sold for a while... I think it's called a Magic Cube or something like that?

-RP-
Hmmm...I was thinking the body sponge was something like that rubber claybar stuff that I wont try...

Clarification?

Old 04-24-2008, 10:42 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
Hmmm...I was thinking the body sponge was something like that rubber claybar stuff that I wont try...

Clarification?
That's what I was thinking he was talking about than RP said something about a grout sponge. Ugh, I'm so confused. Goodnight.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:55 PM
How does one know when the clay bar has served its purpose and needs to be replaced?

Old 04-25-2008, 12:23 AM
glc
Received 769 Likes on 710 Posts
I am referring to this:

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.co...ody-sponge.htm

New innovative rubber polymer product redefines the use of clay bars. Safely and easily removes overspray, water spots, tree sap, rail dust and other bonded surface contaminants from the surface of automotive paint, glass, moldings and plastic. May be used with any kind of Quik Detailer type of product as a lubricant. May also be used with soap and water. Sponge retains soap and water and releases as a lubricant when gently squeezed while gliding over the surface. Unlike a clay bar this product can be cleaned by simply rinsing off the accumulated contaminates with water or in a soap bucket. Accidentally dropping it on the ground is not a problem. Just rinse the sponge pad clean and you're ready to keep using it. Easy grip sponge allows for sturdy and controlled handling, unlike clay bars where constant kneading and reshaping is required. Long lasting sponge comes with easy to use instructions and tips.
Every time I ask about this thing here, I get brushed off.

Why use something else when clay bar does everything it is supposed to do?
That is the typical comment I get. This is the EXACT comment I've gotten from both RP and RR in the past. I am NOT DISAGREEING with it, but I REALLY want to know what is so good OR so bad about this sponge from someone who has actually USED the %$#%^%$# thing! It can't be THAT bad if ADS sells it.

EDIT: Continued in next post

Last edited by glc; 04-25-2008 at 12:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Clay bar or Liquid Clay Bar?