How cold is too cold....

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How cold is too cold....

I ran out of time and good weather this fall before getting a coat of wax on the beast before winter reared its ugly head. The weather peeps are talking that it may get up to about 50 on Sunday.

I was wondering what would you guys recommend as a minimum temp before breaking out #26 just to help tie things over until April. This will be done by hand and more likely done outside.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tiny1
I ran out of time and good weather this fall before getting a coat of wax on the beast before winter reared its ugly head. The weather peeps are talking that it may get up to about 50 on Sunday.

I was wondering what would you guys recommend as a minimum temp before breaking out #26 just to help tie things over until April. This will be done by hand and more likely done outside.

Thanks in advance.
Same thing happened to me! I'm thinking about doing the same thing Sunday! I say go for it! I am........

Old 01-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that 50* is about the limit, unless you've got a heated garage.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that 50* is about the limit, unless you've got a heated garage.

50 is usually the coldest that I would consider doing any waxing but due to the circumstances I was wondering what others have done.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:07 PM
50 is usually the coldest that I would consider doing any waxing but due to the circumstances I was wondering what others have done.
Honestly? Go for it. I would. I've waxed in colder before and it came out just fine.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:06 PM
set up and cure time will take longer....I would keep the product indoors until it was ready to be used.

I keep mine in our wine cellar. Joking, kind of.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
50 to 55 F ambient air temperature is just about the basement level for most products. Like was mentioned, set time will be a bit longer as the delivery chemicals in the mix (water, some solvents) will take longer to flash off in a colder environment.

Also, don't be suprised if you get a smeary end look. It *will* go away but, it may be smeary initially - maybe even up until your next wash or a good rain. The protection will be there before AND after though... #26 is finicky below 60F by my experience.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Also, don't be suprised if you get a smeary end look. It *will* go away but, it may be smeary initially - maybe even up until your next wash or a good rain. The protection will be there before AND after though... #26 is finicky below 60F by my experience.
RP- I know what you are refering to. I am not overly concern with the final look as the weather forcast is looking like rain by Weds. and it will be getting worse as the week progresses.

Would NXT be a better option then if the temperature does not cooperate???
I know that it is less durable than #26, but for ease would it be worth it??

Old 01-04-2008, 09:53 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
RP- I know what you are refering to. I am not overly concern with the final look as the weather forcast is looking like rain by Weds. and it will be getting worse as the week progresses.

Would NXT be a better option then if the temperature does not cooperate???
I know that it is less durable than #26, but for ease would it be worth it??
Actually, NXT is *more* durable than #26.

And, in my opinion, NXT would be easier to work with when it's colder. Set times will vary though if you want to go with multiple coats. A minimum of 12 hours of set time before the second coat...

Old 01-05-2008, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the info and now I just need to wait to see what the weather will do.

Quick Reply: How cold is too cold....