claying a black truck??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
claying a black truck??

ive heard claying black cars can scratch them. is that true?

Old 08-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Only if you arent careful. Follow the instructions on the box, and you will be fine. For more reading on the matter, search for claying and you will find a TON of info.

Advice:
-Cut the bar into halves, and put the part not being used into a ziploc. That way, when you drop the first one, you dont feel so bad about throwing it away. If you try to reuse it, that is when you scratch the finish.
-Use plenty of lube when claying. You dont want any dry abrasion going on.
-Go from top to bottom, front to back. This makes it so that the nastiest parts get clayed last-- meaning that you run a lesser risk of scratchign as much of your truck.

Ask for anymore Q's.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:06 PM
ok thanks for the info. i can just feel the paint and in needs to be clayed bad! I think Im going to get that mothers clay bar kit.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by KiCk *** FX4
ok thanks for the info. i can just feel the paint and in needs to be clayed bad! I think Im going to get that mothers clay bar kit.
Its a great kit. I used it for a couple of years before I went ahead and ordered the professional size from Megs...oh-- BTW-- use the cleaner wax, too, if you havent used somethign like this before. It will impress you! (If you are used to waxing and swirl removal, it will not impress you.)

Old 08-19-2007, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
Only if you arent careful. Follow the instructions on the box, and you will be fine. For more reading on the matter, search for claying and you will find a TON of info.

Advice:
-Cut the bar into halves, and put the part not being used into a ziploc. That way, when you drop the first one, you dont feel so bad about throwing it away. If you try to reuse it, that is when you scratch the finish.
-Use plenty of lube when claying. You dont want any dry abrasion going on.
-Go from top to bottom, front to back. This makes it so that the nastiest parts get clayed last-- meaning that you run a lesser risk of scratchign as much of your truck.

Ask for anymore Q's.
Padding your stats I see........

LOL

Old 08-20-2007, 08:23 AM
I just clayed my black truck with clay magic. Results were great.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
I just clayed my black truck with clay magic. Results were great.
I have used that stuff before... Made a customer VERY happy. It is amazing the difference clay makes. You and your customers (If applicable) will be thoroughly impressed with the difference.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:44 PM
Suspended

That just does not make sense. The top to bottom part OK, but Front to back??? Unless you drive in reverse a whole hell of alot I would think(know) the front would be "nastiest".

The last things I clay before I trash the bar are windshield, bumpers, wheel wells. Yes I clay the wheel wells. My GF calls me crazy so I guess you guys can too!!

Last edited by Ftruck05; 08-20-2007 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by Ftruck05
Front to back??? Unless you drive in reverse a whole hell of alot I would think(know) the front would be "nastiest".

The last things I clay before I trash the bar are windshield, bumpers, wheel wells. Yes I clay the wheel wells. My GF calls me crazy so I guess you guys can too!!
As you travel down the road, stuff hits the front, yes. But the pressure of the wind pushes the crap towards the back of the car. Look at the patterns of dust on a truck that drives down dusty roads a lot. The FIRST thing to get coated is the tailgste and back bumper. Then, it creeps up and frontward the longer you drive. Simple physics. The crap that the front wheels slings up CANNOT hit the front of the truck-- its impossible. But it CAN hit the back half of the truck. And it does. Look at the way the mud slings when you hit mud. same concept. Nastiest parts: tailgate, rear quarter panels, and lower halves of doors.

BTW-- you are INSANE for claying the wheel wells... Maybe mine are just so trashed, but if your looks anything like mine, its a waste of time... And you clay the windscreen? Why? Does it help any? (I have never seen the need....)

Old 08-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Suspended
Claying your truck when it is still muddy is a bad idea. And for your simple physics. True the crap the front wheels cannot hit the front, what about the crap coming off the car in front of you??? Does that go directly to the dirt magnet in the tailgate??? Im voting nastiest parts the hood, grill surround, and the rockers. And where did you get "windscreen" from anyways???

Old 08-20-2007, 08:47 PM
Claying your truck when it is still muddy is a bad idea. And for your simple physics. True the crap the front wheels cannot hit the front, what about the crap coming off the car in front of you??? Does that go directly to the dirt magnet in the tailgate??? Im voting nastiest parts the hood, grill surround, and the rockers. And where did you get "windscreen" from anyways???
The roof will be jacked up more than most...mark my words.

Water sits there when not moving....add dirt, pollen, road tar and tree sap...that will be the dirtiest.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Suspended

I hear you there most people dont even touch the roof cause "it's too high"

Old 08-20-2007, 09:27 PM

I hear you there most people dont even touch the roof cause "it's too high"

I am 5'7 and have a F250 FX4 King Ranch....I have to get all kinds of creative to get the roof done. But its like the wheel wells, it aint done until its all done.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:51 PM
I have clayed my black truck twice with awesome results. I will include claying as part of my all entailing detail process that I'll be doing on my truck every 4-6 months.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by wxscpo
I have clayed my black truck twice with awesome results. I will include claying as part of my all entailing detail process that I'll be doing on my truck every 4-6 months.
You better, that is one sweet ride you have.

I clay 2-5 times per year pending how the paint feels.

Since I just got my baby back from the body shop today () I have to now wait 45 days to go at it. They did a great job. Blended it nice.

Quick Reply: claying a black truck??