Removing tar and sap from truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing tar and sap from truck

My truck was parked undera tree at work and got sap on the hood....then on the way home I ran into road construction and ended up with road tar on my truck. What is the best way to get these off? Thanks.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by dbdragracing
My truck was parked undera tree at work and got sap on the hood....then on the way home I ran into road construction and ended up with road tar on my truck. What is the best way to get these off? Thanks.
You'll prob get a few responses to this...this happed to me but the wax was in bad shape so I had to wash, clay, then polish, wax etc. Once you have a fresh coat of wax on it should be easier to get off should it happen again.

Honestly, I have tree in my driveway...in the summer it drops sap all day so I have to QD it regularly but it comes right off.

I guess it also depends on what kind of tree sap and how long it was "baked" by the sun too.

You could also try Stoners...they make stuff to take off the sap and road tar.

Good luck

Old 07-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Poorboys bug squash & Pinnacle bug & tar pad. Then repolish (if needed) and wax.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:12 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a plethora of chemicals that you could utilize but, no matter which you choose, you are going to have to rewax any affected areas.

That said and knowing that there's a Wal-Mart within spitting distance of nearly every human on the Earth now, give Stoner's Tarminator a whirl. It's a very good product that does what it says in the same fashion (using the same chemicals) that nearly all of the other manufacturers use. The best thing is that it's readily available and really does a very good job.

Follow the instructions explicitly and make a very concerted effort to let the chemical do the work. Don't scrub as you'll likely introduce more problems than you're solving. Allow the chemical some 'dwell' time on the problem areas and don't be suprised if it takes multiple applications to accomplish your goal. Be patient.

Best of luck and please let us know if you have additional questions.

-RP-

Old 07-03-2007, 03:18 AM
i park under a tree as well, and i have gotten sap on my vehicles all the time,. i hate it. but the best thing i have found is to clay bar, polish, then wax. it takes some time(especially on a big *** truck), but i dont work on fridays, so i have time and dont mind some work on my baby.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:16 PM
Red face Poor White Kid Way

Alright well im 18 and live in the middle of no where with nasty road tar everywhere and lots and lots of pine trees. I have tried all the bug and tar wipes, sprays, bars etc....the best product GASOLINE or even better FARM DIESEL (dont use on road diesel it has a dye that damages the clearcoat). I am sure somebody will say "it will rip your wax off" yeah it probly will...but it takes 10 seconds to completly remove the tar and sap...your truck probly needs a wax anyway it never hurts. Hope it helps.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:00 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
I used to use kerosene. Now I use commercial bug and tar remover.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by SuperKrewKid
Alright well im 18 and live in the middle of no where with nasty road tar everywhere and lots and lots of pine trees. I have tried all the bug and tar wipes, sprays, bars etc....the best product GASOLINE or even better FARM DIESEL (dont use on road diesel it has a dye that damages the clearcoat). I am sure somebody will say "it will rip your wax off" yeah it probly will...but it takes 10 seconds to completly remove the tar and sap...your truck probly needs a wax anyway it never hurts. Hope it helps.
Holy Chit bat man....this cannot be that good on a regular basis.

Diesel is some wicked stuff...

Old 07-04-2007, 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
Holy Chit bat man....this cannot be that good on a regular basis.

Diesel is some wicked stuff...

i use krud kutter form time to time. I know it can't be good but it sure is easy!

Old 07-04-2007, 01:17 AM
Originally Posted by SuperKrewKid
Off road diesel is the dyed diesel. If on road diesel were to damage your clear coat, then just about every diesel truck on the road wouldn't have any clear coat under their gas door. Gasoline will remove just about anything though...

Old 07-04-2007, 01:37 AM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
Off road diesel is the dyed diesel. If on road diesel were to damage your clear coat, then just about every diesel truck on the road wouldn't have any clear coat under their gas door. Gasoline will remove just about anything though...
dude...didn't they tell you that diesel goes IN your truck not on it? Just kidding, not really, sort of? (meds are kicking in)

Am I the only one who puts rags under the nozzle when putting in fuel?

Old 07-04-2007, 03:51 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Probably.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
dude...didn't they tell you that diesel goes IN your truck not on it? Just kidding, not really, sort of? (meds are kicking in)

I'm **** about keeping it off of my truck, but when you pick up the pump handle and go to put it in and somehow diesel comes out of the nozzle that was still left in there, you want to shoot somebody. Oh, and the other day I went to top it off like I always do (I fill til I can see it in the filler neck), and it shot out of the filler neck.

Quick Reply: Removing tar and sap from truck