Brush on a Stick?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brush on a Stick?

OK, a little better than that ... Anyone use a wash brush instead of a mitt?

I purchased one of these to use on our RV, but find myself using it more on the family vehicles. Definately knocks down the time involved over using the mitt and bucket method. Yes, I'm still dipping out of a soap bucket (rinsing after particularly dirty lower panels), but I'm not climbing stools to get the full windsheild and the roof, etc. and seem to be able to do larger areas fairly quicker. I usually like to do all the vehicles on weekend mornings and find I can finish up quicker with it.

I see that some quality detailing sites selling similar wash brushes, just with smaller handles. I have examined the finishes after the washes and do not see any difference (no swirlings, fine scratches). I treat the brush as I do my mitts, rinsing regularly, and putting away clean. I'm not saying it's the only tool I use, as I still have specialty brushes/mitts for the wheels, trim, etc...

Now I won't say that I use it on my baby, my 2001 Screw (garaged, rarely dirty enough to worry about... Heck, the Screw has it's own wash tools)... but use it on my daily driver (Ranger) Wife's SUV (Explorer) and Daughters SUV (Escape). I am fairly **** when it comes to detailing, and really am enjoying how washing with a brush is working out for me.

Anyone else use one?...

Old 07-11-2006, 12:16 AM
Depends on what the bristles are made of. I wouldn't personally use it on my cars, but I know some who do.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:39 AM
Originally Posted by toolmaann
OK, a little better than that ... Anyone use a wash brush instead of a mitt?

I purchased one of these to use on our RV, but find myself using it more on the family vehicles. Definately knocks down the time involved over using the mitt and bucket method. Yes, I'm still dipping out of a soap bucket (rinsing after particularly dirty lower panels), but I'm not climbing stools to get the full windsheild and the roof, etc. and seem to be able to do larger areas fairly quicker. I usually like to do all the vehicles on weekend mornings and find I can finish up quicker with it.

I see that some quality detailing sites selling similar wash brushes, just with smaller handles. I have examined the finishes after the washes and do not see any difference (no swirlings, fine scratches). I treat the brush as I do my mitts, rinsing regularly, and putting away clean. I'm not saying it's the only tool I use, as I still have specialty brushes/mitts for the wheels, trim, etc...

Now I won't say that I use it on my baby, my 2001 Screw (garaged, rarely dirty enough to worry about... Heck, the Screw has it's own wash tools)... but use it on my daily driver (Ranger) Wife's SUV (Explorer) and Daughters SUV (Escape). I am fairly **** when it comes to detailing, and really am enjoying how washing with a brush is working out for me.

Anyone else use one?...

I would've gotten a Meguiar's Wide Body Brush, along with the wash mop because the handles are interchangable. So if you want a brush that you know is safe and won't scratch the paint, along with a telescoping rod, get both and replace the mop head with the wide body brush head.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:02 AM
That is what i use. I bought the Meguiars wash mop along with the Meguiars wide body brush and took the head from the body brush and put it onto the wash mops telescoping handle. The brush head has some of the softest bristles that I have ever found on a wash brush. The brush holds TONS of soap and water, and it does not scratch the finish of my truck. It works great!

Old 07-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 98Navi
Depends on what the bristles are made of. I wouldn't personally use it on my cars, but I know some who do.

I concur 100%.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:05 PM
My g/f wanted to use one of those on my truck...I said no way...I did let her use it on her car however...

Old 07-11-2006, 01:33 PM
I use it on my truck. It does pretty good just keep the brush clean. I haven't put one scratch in my truck yet from a brush.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:00 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 95'F-150
I use it on my truck. It does pretty good just keep the brush clean. I haven't put one scratch in my truck yet from a brush.
Swirls are scratches...

Use it at your own risk...

Old 07-11-2006, 02:40 PM
Would this be ok to use?

Meguiars Wash Mop

Old 07-11-2006, 03:08 PM
It basically depends on how particular one is about the finish of his/her vehicle as to whether a product is ok to use or not.

The Meguiars wash mop is ok to use, but I personally do not like it because the actual mop head that the wash bonnet goes over is too rigid and does not confom well to the lines of the vehicle. That is just my opinion on it.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:57 PM
RP I know swirls are scratches. I never said scratches or swirls....

Old 07-11-2006, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by Mister B
That is what i use. I bought the Meguiars wash mop along with the Meguiars wide body brush and took the head from the body brush and put it onto the wash mops telescoping handle. The brush head has some of the softest bristles that I have ever found on a wash brush. The brush holds TONS of soap and water, and it does not scratch the finish of my truck. It works great!
You beat me to the idea then, I've never tried it but at least you know it's totally safe to use and versatile especially if you like the brush.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:55 PM
I have used Meg's versa-angle wide body brush for a while now without any problems. The bristles are so soft but they do take a while to dry out.

Quick Reply: Brush on a Stick?