Waxing...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waxing...

When I bought my truck the tips and the pipes themselves on my dual exhaust was rusted and looked horrible. I took it to a shop here in town and had a new system and tips put on. I was wondering if you keep the pipes waxed and the mufflers waxed if that prevents rusting? I already wax the tips. Also can waxing with a hard pace prevent rusting on the outside of your vehicle?

Old 07-13-2006, 10:40 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
If you purchased a stainless steel exhaust system, corrosion shouldn't be an issue regardless of whether you polish and wax the components or not. However, regularly maintaining the tips and whatnot will improve the overall appearance of the system -- especially over the long haul.

If it's not a stainless system, I don't think waxing the individual parts or not will have much of an impact on long-term durability, since a lot of the corrosion in an exhaust system occurs from the inside out -- mostly due to moisture that naturally occurs in the exhaust process.

Old 07-13-2006, 01:07 PM
If the tips are chrome you can wax them to keep them rust free longer.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:02 PM
I do wax my tips everytime I wax my truck...I jus wondered if waxing the pipes themselves as well and maybe keep them from rusting...might last longer?

Quick Reply: Waxing...