f-150 + small tree= thinner wallet

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
f-150 + small tree= thinner wallet

well just before i pushed the button on buying a supercharger, i hit a small tree.

i was pulling into my buddies drive way and boom, no scratches or anything.

except 3 huge dents on the right front fender near the hood. looks like mike tyson punched it.

my problem is, how in the hell did a small tree that stand no more than 9' high and largest branch make dents like it did in my fender, with no scratches. I showed my dad and he looked at it banged on it with his hand and said "small tree my @ss!" he didnt believe that i basically hit a tree!

also when i realized i was going for the tree i slammed the brakes but it was wet so i really slid into it, i didnt smash it.

that damn tree looks like a 100lbs buck barely scrapped its antlers against it.

HOW MUCH DO YA THINK A REPAIR FENDERS GONNA RUN ME?
DOESNT PAY TO BE AN IDIOT.

well i feel better now thanks

Old 04-27-2005, 11:45 AM
First off, love the handle you have.. "OH yeah!" Yeah yeah it's spelled differently but still makes me laugh...

Anywho, bummer on the tree... my guess is $1000-$1500 for the repairs.

Old 04-27-2005, 12:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ Alright ^^^

Old 04-27-2005, 04:42 PM
Re: f-150 + small tree= thinner wallet

Originally posted by quagmeyer

DOESNT PAY TO BE AN IDIOT.

never does.

as long as we can admit when we are

Old 04-27-2005, 10:32 PM
I am very, very, very, very sorry to report that I too hit a tree this past weekend.

Fri. a freaking animal (dog, I believe) flew into the road, I swerved, spun out, hopped the median, clipped a tree, which ripped my driver's mirror clean off and dented my left front fender, minor dent on hood and door, tore up the trim b/w the driver's window and door (not the vertical trim), and dented the bumper.

I just dropped off my truck today at the body shop. Estimated repair was in the $2,500 range. My driver's window was also pitted, which I believe was due to the glass exploding out of the side mirror onto the side window.

As most of you know, I love my truck dearly, this was a huge blow to Slippy's pride. All I can do now is hope and pray that I am satisfied with the repair done by the body shop. I did claim it by insurance. Looks like I'm gonna be out of my truck until next Thurs/Fri.

BTW, the dog made it...

-slippy

Old 04-28-2005, 01:14 AM
You could maybe find a fender for less than that and put it on yourself, only problem would be finding the right color.

Slippy just remember if you have to swerve to avoid hitting the animal don't do it, just run it over, as much as I like my dog, I would rather someone run him over than go out of control trying not to hit the sob.

Last edited by Schism9; 04-28-2005 at 01:17 AM.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:49 AM
Quagmeyer:

Before you take it to a body shop, Try a PDR (paintless dent removal) guy. I suggest this because you mentioned no scratches. I had a dent made by a baseball and this guy worked his magic. DENT GONE! and I mean GONE. He charged 65.00 per panel and took less than 1/2 hour. Good luck!

Slippy:

I know where you're coming from, dude. I guess you could call me an animal-hugger so one dark morning while going to work, I swerved hard to miss a rabbit crossing the road. After all was said and done I stopped painfully close to a canal. A little bit faster and that woulda been my ticket to check out of this place. Be careful out there and I hope your truck comes back like new.

Last edited by Pete V; 04-28-2005 at 06:00 AM.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by slippysmit

BTW, the dog made it...

-slippy
Couple weeks back I faced the same choice late at night. My truck doesn't have a scratch on it. The dog wasn't so lucky.

When it comes to endangering my life and my passengers.... sorry my furry friends, I'm not swerving in this land yatch. Sure I felt bad, but when I read stories like this and how F'd up their vehicles got... I feel better.

Old 04-28-2005, 04:39 PM
Wow! sorry to hear about all the misfortune coming out of the woodwork.

I agree with D, its the dog or you. Try to avoid the dog and you could ultimately do more harm to yourself.

I'm a dog lover myself, but you gotta draw the line.

Old 04-28-2005, 07:40 PM
Different school of thought on roadkilling an animal.

My friends lost their race car (Pink Panther, a 440 Dodge) because the guy driving the tow rig didn't swerve, and hit the dog with the Ford truck he was towing the trailer plus race car with.

The dang dog got wedged into the suspension, and he had no control, so it jackknifed. The race-car snapped it's tie downs like twigs, and fell on it's roof. Sad day for all us who had helped. Really pretty car.

The driver of the truck was a race car owner (two other cars), and maybe the best driver I knew at the time. He really couldn't help it.
Once this large mutt went into the suspension, it was all over. Nobody, cops, owner of the car, who was in the truck when it happened, could fault him.

Good news is a year later, Pink Panther 2 emerged from the dead GTX and was a nice Challenger, with a Hemi.

I figure if it's small, it's a pancake. If it's larger than a poodle, I'm gonna try some fancy swerving first.
Chris

Old 04-28-2005, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by ChrisAdams
I figure if it's small, it's a pancake. If it's larger than a poodle, I'm gonna try some fancy swerving first.
Chris
Whatever I plowed into, it was a biggen. It was a black/dark brown pooch that had to tick in in the 50-75lbs area. Walking right in the middle of the lane and on the middle of a curve. I never saw him, and he never even saw me as I came up on him 'roud 55-60. I know the bull bar was a wise investment, and isn't just for show. It took the hit and swept the poor pooch right under, and at that speed it was game over.

Now, had he been off to one side, a small swerve would have been do-able. But a full on emergency lane change on a curve at 45-50 mph (after brakes) wasn't gonna happen. Even if it was a car or whatever, I'm going to square up and nail it. I've got a better chance of walking away with a dead-on hit than risking a roll or offset/odd angle hit.

Old 04-28-2005, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by dzervit

Now, had he been off to one side, a small swerve would have been do-able. But a full on emergency lane change on a curve at 45-50 mph (after brakes) wasn't gonna happen. Even if it was a car or whatever, I'm going to square up and nail it. I've got a better chance of walking away with a dead-on hit than risking a roll or offset/odd angle hit.
No, you ain't lyin there.

When they lost the race car, I don't know if the driver was trying to swerve, on not, but I figure the big mutt mustv'e gone in at an angle, cuzz he was sure nuf jacked into the arms good.

Don't think you always have a choice.
I'm an animal lover, but I'm a people lover more..
Chris

Old 04-28-2005, 11:50 PM
Giggidy Giggidy!! Ooooooo Yea!!!

Old 04-29-2005, 02:20 AM
Wow, tough break quagmeyer and slippysmit

Hope you get your trucks fixed and back on the road soon.

Old 04-29-2005, 09:34 AM
I am the same as far as running over useless animals. If it can clear the front bumper it should consider itself dead, even if I could safely swerve I would not do so. Now if the animal is big, like a deer or medium size dog that might cause damage to my front bumper I will try to slow down, if at all possible, as may try to swerve if that is possible.

The dog getting caught up in the suspension must be one of those one in a trillion odds. I have never heard of that and wouldn’t let it affect me running it right over.

My life is worth more then any animal, people around me, in other vehicles are worth more then any animal, my trucks well being is worth more then any animal…

I don’t believe in PETA because they are a bunch of terrorist looking for stupid causes. Animal’s serve three purposes in life. One, some are here for us to eat and eat as much as we want, two, they are here to entertain us and for us to look at, and there they are here, as in cat’s, for us to practice are driving maneuvers, as in swerving in order to TRY and hit the little basturd…

Quick Reply: f-150 + small tree= thinner wallet