Covering Up Rust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Covering Up Rust?

I have a '90 F150 and I started getting cancer over both rear wheel wells last winter and it has gotten progressively worse. This might sound like a weird question, but since this truck is so old and has high mileage, I was thinking of an easier solution than cutting out the rust and repairing it. Maybe some sort of plastic wheel well cover to surround the sheet metal all around the wheel wells to hide the rust. Has anyone heard of any such product?

Old 01-03-2005, 06:11 PM
umm dont hide it, it will just spread, is the rust all the way through? if so, cut it out and just rig somethin up so it dont look bad, if its not all the way through grind/sand it off an put some primer on it so it dont rust again

Old 01-06-2005, 09:55 PM
I agree with Paul-but if u want to cover it I would grind it off with an air grinder or something like that first-then cover it.

Old 01-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's a third for Paul's recommendation.

Further, I'd consult with a local paint and body shop supply house and ask for their recommendations.

RP

Old 01-08-2005, 09:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's a product that you can find at the auto parts stores, Home Depot, etc. called Extend (made by Duro I believe). Wire brush and then spray this stuff on. It turns the remaining rust black and blocks the oxidation process. It won't completely stop further rust forever but it can stop it for a couple years.

Then you can maybe cover the rusted areas with fender flares or something.

Keep in mind the other guys replying here drive new trucks and spend a lot of time and money waxing and polishing them. They aren't used to driving old beaters where you find old street signs and cut them up to rivet into the floor pan to cover the holes (Fred Flinstone size holes). I rebuilt an entire floorboard once using a couple highway signs.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-08-2005, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
I rebuilt an entire floorboard once using a couple highway signs.

Old 01-09-2005, 03:05 PM
Re: Covering Up Rust?

Originally posted by RobPA
I have a '90 F150 and I started getting cancer over both rear wheel wells last winter and it has gotten progressively worse. This might sound like a weird question, but since this truck is so old and has high mileage, I was thinking of an easier solution than cutting out the rust and repairing it. Maybe some sort of plastic wheel well cover to surround the sheet metal all around the wheel wells to hide the rust. Has anyone heard of any such product?
Rob,
Like most people here have stated, YOU SHOULD NOT FIX THE PROBLEM BY HIDING IT....

OK sorry about the caps but I wanted to get the point across. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there. The best way to take care of this problem, is to use a wire brush to scrape off the loose rust (assuming it isn't through and through) and then protect the remaining areas with a good rust encapsulator such as Eastwood Company's Rust Encapsulator product line. It nutralizes existing rust and converts it to a base foundation which can be painted right over.

Hope this helps,

Tony

Last edited by TonyPTX; 01-09-2005 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:22 PM
Hey, just cover it up with that Clay Bar stuff!! hehehehe

NO NO

Fix it right. Grind all the rust off (or cut it out if need be) and then seal and prime it. And if you don't wanna look at the primer, put some fender flares over it, or whatever works.

Old 01-19-2005, 07:09 AM
www.por15.com

We have used this on our plow trucks and dump bodies, with great results.

Old 01-19-2005, 11:54 AM
Banned
First of all, primer is NOT AN ANTI RUST SOLUTION!!!!! primer is a base for paint, and so is primer sealer or primer surfacer... they are BOTH very pourous and WILL allow rust to accumulate underneath... many people make the assumption that primer is like paint and protects the car.... trust me... it doesnt.. been painting for years, and my grandfather (whom i learned from) painted professionally since the early 1950s... if you want to prevent rust, you are going to have to paint it... end of story. But if you want to get rid of rust that is there, depending on if it has been eaten through or not, you can sand it down or cut the panel out and re weld a new one in... the best way to touch it up, would be to spackle on some primer, and then shoot it with some flat paint. Do NOT just leave the primer on it... you will sand it off one day to find a bigger mess underneath....

Old 12-21-2019, 03:18 PM
y'all hit my pet peeve. the guy asked for solutions other than cutting it out and doing a full repair, and y'all be telling him to do exactly that. I am in the same boat brother. Picked up a 95 for a few hundred bucks, don't intend to spend a lot on it. I covered the wheel wells with carbon fibre tape. its been a few months, weather up here is bad, so my next move is scrub off and break off what I can, spray foam the gap between the trim and where it gets good again, sand it down and paint it. yeah it's going to make the rust a hell of a lot worse over time. The truck is at 350,000km and I just want to hide it to keep the law from taking it off the road for excessive rust. I go through a lot of beaters, have done this before. goes about 6 months before it starts eating again.

Old 12-21-2019, 06:39 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
The post about the stuff that stops the rust is available and supposedly works. And spray the underside with fluid film will help the rest of the truck.

Old 12-21-2019, 07:35 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Do you make it a habit to reply to a thread that's been dead for 15 years?

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: Covering Up Rust?