Windshield Scratches?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 01:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Windshield Scratches?

Hey RockPick,

Here’s a good one for you. The ex was driving her SUV the other day (apparently too cold for the broom) and she found herself without an ice scraper. So, she grabbed a frozen hunk of snow (or so she thought) and proceeded to scrape her windshield with it. The next day, she discovered all sorts of scratches in her windshield. Any thoughts as to how to get those bad boys out without replacing the whole windshield?

Old 01-21-2005, 05:25 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Man, I'm not sure I'm your guy here. I have to stop short of giving advice when I'm not 110% clear on the usage and results.

Maybe Boss or someone can help out... I just don't know what to tell you bud. Sorry.

I'd rather tell you 'I don't know' than blow warm air up your buttocks... LOL!

RP

Old 01-22-2005, 02:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2stroked,

I am not an expert on this subject by any means, but I have heard of a couple of different solutions. Depending upon how severe the scratches are you can try a product called "Bar Keepers Friend" this is a very fine abrasive powder much like "comet" scouring powder but only finer and it is not supposed to scratch. I would try this on a piece of window glass or something similar before potentially making the situation worse.

Otherwise I think Meguirs or mothers makes a glass polish ....maybe this will help. Just a thought. Good Luck.

Bar Keepers Friend is found at the grocery store or walmart in the cleaning section next to Comet.

Old 01-22-2005, 02:33 PM
Moderator &

I've heard of using BKF for hard-water spot removal but never for scratches... Hmm... maybe it'd work? I dunno.

Old 01-22-2005, 07:21 PM
RP

You're correct, the BKF is great for cleaning windshields (especially bugs) but will probably not get significant scratches out.

Sorry 2stroked I knew that windshield and BKF went together but called my dad and he corrected me. If you do a google search for glass scratch repair you will find one. Never heard of that product before, and it was kinda spendy but cheaper than buying a new windshield. Good Luck with this one.....if you find something out let me know as my wife has few minor scratches in hers as well. What is it with women?

Old 01-22-2005, 07:48 PM
Moderator &

Yeah, now that he mentioned that, I believe that Diamondite makes a glass kit.

I've heard a mixed bag of reviews on it though...

Boss, do you know anything about this?

RP

Old 01-22-2005, 08:52 PM
here is a link to a tech tip for Windshield Polishing

Trending Topics

Old 01-22-2005, 09:15 PM
Moderator &

Nice link lee! Very informative...

RP

Old 01-24-2005, 06:31 AM
Thanks guys! Sorry it took so long for me to get back. We're digging out of around 20 inches of snow up here. I'm not sure what the ex had in that hunk of ice she used (maybe an asteroid from her home planet?), but it sure made a mess. Looks like it's polish time. It's nice to know that I'm not going to pay for a whole new windshield. Thanks again!

Old 01-24-2005, 09:59 AM
Post glass polishing

If the scratches are small its can be fixed but if the scratches are deep, replace it! Because the integrity of the window is at stack? Having a strong window is a most, sample: a bird hits your window at 40mph nothing worse having bird crap between your teeth. (there is allot of engineering in a windshield for safety)

When you polish glass just don't polish just the scratch out, polish out a wider area. If you just polish out just the scratch then the optics won't be right. (had to say that)
Buy a new windshield and don't even think about polishing your windshield! but you think you can.
part 1
something is wrong with posting this, wierd things are happening?

Last edited by NorthPac; 01-24-2005 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:11 AM
part 2

part 2
In your case 3000 grit sandpaper?? & car polish compound, then cerium oxide using a high speed buffer, (a drill will work but it will take you for ever) don't get the glass hot in any point. get a glass polish pad is a most, leather polishing pad will work best on windshields.
I did a few windshields in my time on old vehicles and only thing I can say is you have to do the job right, if not you will notice. Have someone else polish the windshield because you will notice the details of imperfections.
You know you did the job wrong when you look out the windshield and see your wife having bigger breasts and a smaller head.

This link below is "not" for car windshields! but that's how to polish glass
http://www.facetingmachines.com/polishing_glass.shtml

Old 01-24-2005, 11:54 AM
LMAO!

Good information. Again, thanks!

Quick Reply: Windshield Scratches?