Zaino with PC 7424

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zaino with PC 7424

hey just wondering if its alright to use a PC 7424 to apply / remove zaino polishes and waxes and if so, what process should i go with, what goes on first (which #) and so on...my trucks white, pretty good condition paint still, got a few swirl marks appearing...also what kind of pads should i use for this process....ive never used a PC 7424 before so im gonna be buying one and tackling this project ....

Old 01-01-2005, 10:33 PM
cmon almost 30 views and no replies! rockpick where you at brotha lol

Old 01-01-2005, 10:37 PM
DrPaul84,

While some people do use a PC to apply Zaino Z2, or Z5, it's really not necessary, and really doesn't have many advantages. However, keep in mind that Zaino does not have any true paint cleaners, or cleaner/polishes. The Z2, Z2-Pro, and Z5 are really synthetic waxes/sealants (even though they are called polishes). Therefore, you need to clean the paint, and remove any swirls prior to Z2 or Z5 with other products (cleaners and/or abrasive polishes). That's where the PC will come in handy.

As for pads with the polishes for the PC, you will need "polishing" pads like the Meguiar's W-8006. If you do decide to apply the Zaino (or any wax/sealant), you will need a "finishing" pad like the Meguiar's W-9006.

One last thing. If you haven't purchased the Zaino products yet, make sure you only get the Z2-Pro polish, as you won't need the Z5 on your white paint. The Z2 or Z2-Pro are very clear and reflective, which is what you need on white. If you had darker paint, the Z5 would help.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-01-2005, 10:41 PM
ive had the zaino for awhile now, just got the starter pack thingy , works good, shines nice, but im gettin lazy waxing lol , thats why i want the PC, so what would you recomend for the swirl marks? and will it work good with the zaino on it? or will that be a problem

Old 01-01-2005, 10:53 PM
DrPaul84,

You can use and SMR you want to get the swirls out. A product like Meguiar's #9, Poorboys SSR2, and many others will work just fine on white paint. However, with Zaino, you must remove any "oils/waxes/silcones........ Etc." before you apply Z2....... at least if you want the Z2 to bond to the paint correctly. A good thorough washing with Z7 after the polishing should get everything off there, and allow the Z to bond nicely!

Again, you can use the PC to apply the Z2 or Z5 to the paint, but I think you will waist a lot of product. Plus, if you are applying the Z correctly, if goes on quite easy by hand, and you'll find that it's not that much easier with a PC.

Old 01-01-2005, 11:01 PM
yea i just read a post started by rockpick back when he bought his PC, so , i can use the swirl removers and paint cleaners before zaino, but i have to wash the truck again after i use that stuff, hrm thats a lot of extra work lol, what if i convert to all meguiers , using their whole line nxt an stuff, same process or can i do it all without washing again...

Old 01-01-2005, 11:14 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by DrPaul84
...what if i convert to all meguiers , using their whole line nxt an stuff, same process or can i do it all without washing again...
You never heard from me because I'm just not sold on Z. It's a good product but, I didn't feel that it raised the bar from several other products that I've used in the past.

To answer your question that I've quoted; yes. Further, I think you'll note that you'll achieve better results. Again, nothing against Z here but, once you go back over the vehicle with Dawn or similar, many of the oils and such will be restripped out and thus, I think you'll note more of the imperfections again.

It's totally up to you on which route to go and I'd further encourage you to try it both ways. Z is a fine product and I think you'll like the results but, it is a lot of work. Meg's, on a similar note, is good stuff too but, you may find that it's longevity doesn't match Z's...

For me, the longevity isn't a big issue as I'm the type that probably over protects but, that's just me.

RP

Trending Topics

Old 01-02-2005, 01:09 PM
hrm do you guys like the meguirs 3 step? or just use the #9 and #26 method or whchever you guys use, fill me in on your secrets

Last edited by DrPaul84; 01-02-2005 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:49 PM
Actually, they call the process the 3 step process, or 5 step process, or whatever. Essentially, you need to "clean" the paint, then "polish" the paint, and then "protect" the paint.

Cleaning the paint can consist of washing, claying, and paint cleaning. Call them individual steps, or call them "cleaning" the paint.

Polishing can consist of a combination cleaner/polish (like #83 - Dual Action cleaner polish), a dedicated swirl remover (like #9), and a glaze (like #7).

Protecting the paint can consist of a wax/sealant, a quick wax, and even a QD.

Anyhow, depending on the condition of the paint, and the look you want to achieve, you may need, or not need to use a paint cleaner, or clay, or an SMR, or a glaze.

From what you've said about the condition of your paint, #9 and NXT or #26 may be all you need. However, a good occasional claying and use of a good paint cleaner is essential to achieving the maximum potential from your paint.

Here's a link that may help you out:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...?threadid=2409

Old 01-02-2005, 01:54 PM
ya the paints pretty much in perfect condition, cept the slight swirl marks, i clay it once in awhile just cause theirs so much junk in the air...and it likes to find its way onto my paint...

Old 01-02-2005, 02:20 PM
Stick with Zaino, nothing beats its durability, longevity, and in my opinion, shine.

Zaino really has no more or no fewer steps involved with it then any other fine brand of wax/polish/sealant such as Meguiars. Meguiars is a great product don’t misunderstand me but it just can not hold a torch to Zaino when it comes to durability and longevity.

3 coats of Zaino will easily last you for a good 6 months of harsh winters with salt and grime trying to attack your finish. Meguiars will maybe last 1 – 2 months if that in harsh environments and if the weather does not cooperate with you, you will not have much chance on putting more coats of Meguiars wax on. Even the NXT from everything I read does not last long however the vast majority of people do like its shine.

The choice is yours, if you like to wax frequently then use Meguires, if you don’t like to wax often, every month or so, stick with Zaino.

If its about longevity, durability and an awesome showroom shine then Zaino is your product…

Old 01-02-2005, 05:06 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by 01 XLT Sport
The choice is yours, if you like to wax frequently then use Meguires, if you don’t like to wax often, every month or so, stick with Zaino.

If its about longevity, durability and an awesome showroom shine then Zaino is your product…
Frequently is a stretch and, lest we forget, there are countless other products on the market outside of Meguiar's and Zaino that can get a 'showroom shine'.

You should also mention in your post that Z requires loads of time for the initial application; even with ZFX. Also, Z doesn't really offer anything to deal with the swirls that we all have and hate.

Just a bit more food for thought. It's not all green on the Meguiar's side nor the Z side.

We all have our opinions and, like I said earlier, I'd encourage you to try both products and draw your own conclusions. I did.

RP

Old 01-02-2005, 05:12 PM
well thats the thing, i used to use meguiers on my car (also white) but i didnt have a PC, and didnt really care that much cause the paint was swirl mark heaven, and then most of it was primer by the end lol...and with the truck im tryin to keep the paint perfect, no swirl marks and stuff, and thats why i want the PC, to make it easier to take care of the paitn and apply these polishers an waxes....thats why i need help!

Old 01-02-2005, 05:14 PM
Moderator &

I believe that you can apply Z by PC but, I'm not 100% sure. It'd make sense...

The joy of a PC is that you can effectively cut your detail time down considerably and, further, you can better deal with surficial blemishes. Elbow grease only goes so far before a machine is needed to remove some imperfections.

RP

Old 01-02-2005, 05:17 PM
yea ive read the posts about PC/Zaino pretty wastefull ive read, but also, zaino doesnt help with the swirl marks, so , if i use the megeuirs ill have to wash it again with zaino after i use meguiers #9 for the swirl marks before i can polish it using the zaino....which is a big waste of time, so would it be more beneficial to just convert to all meguiers to simpify the process?

Quick Reply: Zaino with PC 7424